THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning to Exhaust or not to Exhaust......

08-06-2016, 08:39 PM   #45
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT Mineral White M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjones14 View Post
I got the MPE with the M Performance Rear Diffuser as port-installed options, so it came with mine on delivery. I am so glad I did it. Not that I have really compared it to a stock exhaust, but I do like the sound of it. It's so much fun to cruise down Main Street at 25 mph in second gear, and lift off the throttle. It barks and pops and turns heads. And does it while being civilized and not at all obnoxious.

However, on start it is really loud for maybe 30 seconds or so. Way louder than my stock V8 Mustang was.

Funny thing happened today when I was visiting my mom. I was talking to a neighbor I grew up with when I was getting ready to leave, and when I started the car after it had sat for a few hours, his comment was "why does it sound like that?" He's not a car guy at all, so he wouldn't understand, but I told him that I actually paid almost $2000 extra to buy that performance muffler sound, and he started laughing his head off...
Ha, some people just don't understand. My friend told me that my car sounded ridiculously loud and that's when I had a stock exhaust and intake.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2016, 03:29 PM   #46
Fabspeed Motorsport
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentZero View Post
I got a Fabspeed valvetronic (with the valve set to permanently open) installed on my car today. One word: WOW! Man, I love it. Imagine the ASD sound except deeper, more refined and aggressive. A little bit more overrun likely due to the lack of a resonator. The overrun is a bit louder too, but it still sounds really good. Not to mention the fact that the sound now comes from the rear as it should. The slightly larger tips are also the perfect size and now the exhaust looks like it was meant for the car. I've always felt that the stock tips looked small and a tad anemic.

Absolutely no drone either. In fact, at cruising speed it's even quieter in the cabin than it was when I had ASD enabled. I'm probably one of the few that likes the ASD feature, but this exhaust kills it. I can't wait to hear how it will sound when I mate the exhaust to their sport cat as well.

An added bonus seems to be a bit more torque above 2,500k rpm. Idk, it just feels like the car reacts a little quicker when I give it more gas.

Anyway, I plan on taking a video soon. I've yet to find a video of this exhaust on a car without an aftermarket down pipe. Figure some people may want to hear it with a stock down pipe.
Thank you for the write up! I am happy you are enjoying your new setup. Let me know when you're ready to get that Sport Cat ordered up!
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2016, 04:37 PM   #47
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: m235i

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabspeed Motorsport View Post
Thank you for the write up! I am happy you are enjoying your new setup. Let me know when you're ready to get that Sport Cat ordered up!
Fabspeed, have you guys ever tried the muffler delete pipe with an exhaust valve on one side?

Just wondering how it effects the sound when opened/closed with no muffler.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2016, 04:51 PM   #48
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony235 View Post
Fabspeed, have you guys ever tried the muffler delete pipe with an exhaust valve on one side?

I'd imagine that at best you'd go from really damn loud to just damn loud lol. While a muffler delete sounds dope it's just too much for me on a DD.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2016, 05:01 PM   #49
Fabspeed Motorsport
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony235 View Post

Adding a valve to the Muffler Bypass will not make the system any quieter. It will change the sound slightly but I can't imagine it being that noticeably different.

Quote:
I'd imagine that at best you'd go from really damn loud to just damn loud lol. While a muffler delete sounds dope it's just too much for me on a DD.
I have our Sport Cat Downpipe and Muffler Bypass Exhaust on my M235i which I daily drive. It is 100% a daily driveable setup and not as loud as you think, especially if you keep it in Comfort Mode.
Appreciate 1
      08-08-2016, 08:09 PM   #50
kpn_stew
Registered
Rep
Drives: M235i

Hi All, new to the forum. Looking into exhausts and I was wondering if there was a comprehensive thread somewhere that talked about all the different options for the 235i.

Thanks.
Appreciate 1
      08-08-2016, 09:13 PM   #51
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: like i stole it...

Sport cat and fabspeed delete here...

At first it was too loud for me, but the secret for cold starts is to rev it to about 1500 rpm for about 1 min and it isn't loud at all. Quieter than stock maybe...

No upset neighbors anymore.
1997 M3 Sedan Auto Cosmo Black Metallic
2018 x3 m40 Auto Grey Metallic
Appreciate 2
      08-08-2016, 10:34 PM   #52
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It is 100% a daily driveable setup and not as loud as you think, especially if you keep it in Comfort Mode.
What's comfort mode?

6MT Mineral White on black M235i coupe
Build thread
Appreciate 3
      08-08-2016, 10:40 PM   #53
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpn_stew View Post
Hi All, new to the forum. Looking into exhausts and I was wondering if there was a comprehensive thread somewhere that talked about all the different options for the 235i.

Thanks.
Not really dude. It all depends on what you're looking for, budget, look, sound. Watch a lot of YoutTube vids. A lot. Different mics and recording environments will make the same exhaust sound totally different on the same car.

I wanted something that sounded deep and louder than stock. I narrowed my search down to AWE touring exhaust with mid pipe or the Fabspeed Valvetronic. I ended up with the Fabspeed and have zero regrets. No drone which is nice, but I could deal with some if I had to. Some say that the AWE exhaust has a lot of drone while others say it's not bad.

Build thread
Appreciate 1
      08-09-2016, 08:26 AM   #54
Fabspeed Motorsport
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpn_stew View Post

Thanks.
Please feel free to PM me and I'd be happy to discuss our options and see if we can get you exactly what you are looking for!
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2016, 11:03 AM   #55
TheoryOfRevolution
Rep

Hi all, also new to the forum and BMW in general. I've been looking around and really like the Dinan sound. Is there anyone who's gotten it and NOT liked it? Also curious if you think the rear valence is worth the extra cost? I'll definitely be checking out some of the others listed here before I pull the trigger on it though.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2016, 11:14 AM   #56
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoryOfRevolution View Post
Hi all, also new to the forum and BMW in general. I've been looking around and really like the Dinan sound. Is there anyone who's gotten it and NOT liked it? Also curious if you think the rear valence is worth the extra cost? I'll definitely be checking out some of the others listed here before I pull the trigger on it though.
The only complaint I've heard about the Dinan is that it's a bit quiet for the price. If you're thinking Dinan you may be pretty happy with the M performance exhaust (aka MPE) for almost half the price.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2016, 05:32 PM   #57
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoryOfRevolution View Post
Quote:
The only complaint I've heard about the Dinan is that it's a bit quiet for the price. If you're thinking Dinan you may be pretty happy with the M performance exhaust (aka MPE) for almost half the price.
+1 on being quiet

Exhaust sound is subjective, so if you like the sound get it

My favorite is REMUS catback

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2016, 06:51 PM   #58
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Man, just want to report back after having the exhaust for a few days. I love it. The car sounds the way it's supposed to sound now. Nice and deep. Car now turns heads with the sound and keeps them turned with the looks. This really is how the car should have sounded in stock form.

If it's still available there's a Lightweight axel-back in the member classifieds. That's also a nice one and dude is selling it for a good price. I wanted a cat-back otherwise I would have bought it.
Appreciate 1
      08-09-2016, 07:40 PM   #59
Total madness
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i EB2

Chipping in on this ;-)

I run oem exhaust with vrsf catless dp, sound is amazing for low investment. An aftermarket exhaust doen't yield any power anyway, waste of money to me anyway ;-)
Just my 2 cents
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2016, 08:22 PM   #60
Drpoomanchu
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M235i Man FBO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Total madness
Chipping in on this ;-)

I run oem exhaust with vrsf catless dp, sound is amazing for low investment. An aftermarket exhaust doen't yield any power anyway, waste of money to me anyway ;-)
Just my 2 cents
I dont think you are being completely accurate... While the stock exhaust is good I don't believe that an aftermarket exhaust yields no performance gains especially at FBO and elevated boost/tuned applications.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2016, 10:51 PM   #61
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Total madness
Chipping in on this ;-)

Just my 2 cents
Yeah, not true. I noticed increased throttle response around the 2,500k rpm range. I looked up the dyno chart on Fabspeed's site and it confirmed what I felt. There's a 10lb boost in torque around 2,500k.

Not to mention the sound. It's worth the price of entry for me. Especially if you find a really good deal like I did. However, that's just me. If you're happy with your setup then that's awesome. We have some dope rides.

Build thread
Appreciate 1
      08-10-2016, 10:46 AM   #62
Drpoomanchu
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M235i Man FBO

If you are looking for bang for your buck (powerwise) exhaust is not the answer. Price per HP is not great here. There are better options to make power if sound isnt a factor. But it is a component in powermaking as it frees up flow and relieves backpressure at higher boost levels throughout the powerband. For instance Armytrix utilizes dual runs of 2.5" from the collector downstream of the DP to the muffler which is much more free flowing than stock, which i believe is single 3" run. No affiliation, metioning because i own and installed it. Most aftermarket exhaust weigh less also in comparison to stock systems. I think the stock system bottles up the beauty of the N55 and if you uncork with a proper catback/DP... The world will stop a drool in amazement
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2016, 08:38 PM   #63
kpn_stew
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drpoomanchu View Post
If you are looking for bang for your buck (powerwise) exhaust is not the answer. Price per HP is not great here. There are better options to make power if sound isnt a factor. But it is a component in powermaking as it frees up flow and relieves backpressure at higher boost levels throughout the powerband. For instance Armytrix utilizes dual runs of 2.5" from the collector downstream of the DP to the muffler which is much more free flowing than stock, which i believe is single 3" run. No affiliation, metioning because i own and installed it. Most aftermarket exhaust weigh less also in comparison to stock systems. I think the stock system bottles up the beauty of the N55 and if you uncork with a proper catback/DP... The world will stop a drool in amazement
How do you like the Armytrix, also another exhaust that I was looking at. Also where are you located in Ohio, would be interested to meet up to hear how it sounds in person. Feel free to PM if interested.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 09:55 AM   #64
Fabspeed Motorsport
United_States
Rep

I always recommend doing our Sport Cat Downpipe. Hands down, our Sport Cat is the best bang for the buck.

Not only does it increase the sound with more burbles that the N55 produces, but it provides satisfying power gains. Check out our dyno chart below!

Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 11:02 AM   #65
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I always recommend doing our Sport Cat Downpipe. Hands down, our Sport Cat is the best bang for the buck.

Not only does it increase the sound with more burbles that the N55 produces, but it provides satisfying power gains. Check out our dyno chart below!

Do you guys sell stickers? I need one for looks and I'm pretty sure that the dyno chart will show that the sticker adds at least +5hp.

Build thread
Appreciate 1
      08-11-2016, 12:13 PM   #66
crbalch
The Schwab
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 AW M340xi

Garage List
2017 BMW X1  [0.00]
2016 BMW M235xi  [0.00]
Just mated the M Performance Exhaust to my Fabspeed Sportcat...it's absolutely perfect. Exhaust note is so crisp, not too deep, but a perfect exotic sound.

The cracks and bubbles in Sport+ Manual mode is nuts. Super happy!
Appreciate 2