THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Strange Cold Starts, BMS Intake?

04-12-2015, 05:22 PM   #45
mmmmm235i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 440xi GC

I know pretty much everyone in the e9x crowd run/ran this product, but I have heard nothing but complaints about this intake in the f22. Not speaking from personal experience, but based on this thread and others it sounds like the customer service is garbage. I have been running the AFE tune and open intake without a single problem for over 5k without a single problem.

RETIRED:
2018 440xi GC, Carbon Black on Black/Blue
2014 M235i Black on Black, DINAN Stage 2
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 09:09 AM   #46
Ramathorn
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmmm235i View Post
I know pretty much everyone in the e9x crowd run/ran this product, but I have heard nothing but complaints about this intake in the f22. Not speaking from personal experience, but based on this thread and others it sounds like the customer service is garbage. I have been running the AFE tune and open intake without a single problem for over 5k without a single problem.
I don't know if I would go so far as to say their customer service is garbage.

There is only 1 person in this thread that has actually contacted them as far as I can tell and BMS did provide them with some things to try and diagnose the issue.

I wasn't able to find anything about the issue related to the 2-series on the BMS forums.

Does anyone have a contact at BMS that could come chime in on this thread?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 06:24 PM   #47
chaddy74
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M135i

Customer service is great until you ask to many questions ... then you get labelled as a pest and go into the too hard basket !!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramathorn View Post

There is only 1 person in this thread that has actually contacted them as far as I can tell and BMS did provide them with some things to try and diagnose the issue.

I wasn't able to find anything about the issue related to the 2-series on the BMS forums.

Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 08:34 PM   #48
mmmmm235i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 440xi GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramathorn View Post

This is about the 100th thread discussing the same issue. The company has a great reputation with its other products, but thats not customer service.

RETIRED:
2018 440xi GC, Carbon Black on Black/Blue
2014 M235i Black on Black, DINAN Stage 2
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 09:32 AM   #49
CONTROL ONE
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M235i

Put my BMS intake back on this weekend after having the stock airbox all winter.

No issues at all with start up or after. Most definitely related to cold weather starts.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 12:44 PM   #50
M2TROLL
WRX Betrayer
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235ix Estoril Blue Coral Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by CONTROL ONE View Post
Put my BMS intake back on this weekend after having the stock airbox all winter.

No issues at all with start up or after. Most definitely related to cold weather starts.
Hm, will try mine this week i guess. Were you getting a cel with it? If so have they stopped showing up now?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 01:30 PM   #51
CONTROL ONE
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBran View Post
Hm, will try mine this week i guess. Were you getting a cel with it? If so have they stopped showing up now?
Never got a CEL. With or without tune.

Even when it was at its worst in the winter it was just hesitation and then it would compensate and be fine again.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2015, 03:05 AM   #52
Jasond13
Banned
Rep
Drives: Man

OK so I hope this sheds some light, I experience the startup stumble 8 out of 10 starts but its minor and goes away quickly it’s really not big issue for me. What I have found to be the weak points is, both clamps tend to come lose in a cold or hot climate. I check them once a week and they stretch, especially the clamp around the filter. That oval is unnatural for that clamp, they are meant to seal round not oval. I had numerous issues drivetrain malfunctions surges and all sorts of weird issues. I though I blew my charge pipe or something in the system when in fact if air gets in by either clamp because it’s not sealed and bypasses the MAF or flows by it improperly you will encounter these issues. So yes I agree BMS needs to make a revised version of this intake, and I'm sure they will. As for customer service Terry and his guys have always answered my questions. They never mention the intake I kind of figured it out on my own. But they were still helpful with leading me to it. As long as those clamps are sealed my car runs great no issues. What they really need to make is an all-aluminum, titanium or Carbon Fiber intake that won’t contract & expand from temperature. One that a better type of clamp can grip well. I had an all-aluminum intake from Injen on my Evo X and that never came lose.
Appreciate 1
      04-19-2015, 06:44 PM   #53
ocN55
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i 6MT/ '16 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasond13 View Post
OK so I hope this sheds some light, I experience the startup stumble 8 out of 10 starts but its minor and goes away quickly it’s really not big issue for me. What I have found to be the weak points is, both clamps tend to come lose in a cold or hot climate. I check them once a week and they stretch, especially the clamp around the filter. That oval is unnatural for that clamp, they are meant to seal round not oval. I had numerous issues drivetrain malfunctions surges and all sorts of weird issues. I though I blew my charge pipe or something in the system when in fact if air gets in by either clamp because it’s not sealed and bypasses the MAF or flows by it improperly you will encounter these issues. So yes I agree BMS needs to make a revised version of this intake, and I'm sure they will. As for customer service Terry and his guys have always answered my questions. They never mention the intake I kind of figured it out on my own. But they were still helpful with leading me to it. As long as those clamps are sealed my car runs great no issues. What they really need to make is an all-aluminum, titanium or Carbon Fiber intake that won’t contract & expand from temperature. One that a better type of clamp can grip well. I had an all-aluminum intake from Injen on my Evo X and that never came lose.
Great post, thank you! I will start checking my clamps more often.

Also as the OP I want to mention that I have not had the issue I first mentioned in this thread for about 2 weeks.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2015, 08:37 PM   #54
skitsos
Police Magnet
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M235i (F22)

Im pretty much to the point now of ruling out the BMS Intake unless a V2 is made with an aluminum tube or any other metal (besides plastic which can warp under temp changes). If a more reliable BMS Intake is produced maybe I will jump on that, but now I am looking into the Injen Intake. Its not going to drain my wallet dry, so its around the same price of BMS and cheaper than aFe, and it seems to be made of more reliable materials. If someone on here is running Injen (especially on their M235i), it would be great to get some feedback.
      04-22-2015, 05:57 AM   #55
WhollySmokes
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i 6MT

Garage List
2015 M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Good info. I wonder if a different style clamp might help. I used to have custom charge piping on a previous vehicle, and I ran T-bolt clamps all around. They worked great.

http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchant...egory_Code=CLA
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 05:32 PM   #56
Jasond13
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhollySmokes View Post
Good info. I wonder if a different style clamp might help. I used to have custom charge piping on a previous vehicle, and I ran T-bolt clamps all around. They worked great.

http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchant...egory_Code=CLA
Still that weird oval shape filter not a great shape for a seal. It's almost like trying to seal a circle over a rectangle, like it has points. Lol not that bad, but still a point of weakness. you can try a different clamp but remember now if you make it too tight it will squash the tube an leak anyways. You have to make sure its up against the lip and snugged up good don't kill it.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2015, 06:54 AM   #57
Jasond13
Banned
Rep

So speaking of making it tight, the other day it was warm here close to 80F. I had driven home from work and was changing my oil. I checked the clamp around the filter it was a bit loose so I just snugged it. So driving to work today I did a WOT and could tell something was not right again. I knew it was the intake, this is what I found. So when it’s hot it becomes malleable and can deform. This morning it was about 38F so now it’s hard as rock but it hardened into this deformed shape. So I just want to warn you guys only snug it up when it’s cool like in the morning before a startup. And still this just proves you can’t really make it tight. It really needs some sort of metal ring around where the filter clamps on to strengthen the area. I am going to contact BMS and see what they say.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-23-2015, 12:58 PM   #58
ocN55
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So speaking of making it tight, the other day it was warm here close to 80F. I had driven home from work and was changing my oil. I checked the clamp around the filter it was a bit loose so I just snugged it. So driving to work today I did a WOT and could tell something was not right again. I knew it was the intake, this is what I found. So when it’s hot it becomes malleable and can deform. This morning it was about 38F so now it’s hard as rock but it hardened into this deformed shape. So I just want to warn you guys only snug it up when it’s cool like in the morning before a startup. And still this just proves you can’t really make it tight. It really needs some sort of metal ring around where the filter clamps on to strengthen the area. I am going to contact BMS and see what they say.
Ouch... Thanks for sharing, let us know what BMS says regarding this.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2015, 10:54 PM   #59
Jasond13
Banned
Rep

OK So I contacted John at BMS, of course he told me I made it too tight. But said no problem he will send me a replacement tube. He could have easily said that was on me, sorry there's nothing he could do for me. But it’s obvious they know what's up. And from all of our issues will come a new revised much better intake. I don't believe they will come up with a fix for this one. It would cost them in the long run. Now if they come out with a much better replacement at a similar reasonable cost it will be good for them and their customers. I think I will come try to come up with my own fix for this now I have a couple of ideas
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2015, 10:34 PM   #60
Jasond13
Banned
Rep

OK so I know it's been a wile but I have to update the last couple post regarding the BMS intake. So after contacting burger about the collapsed intake they immediately sent me a replacement tube no questions asked. I put it in and not but a couple days later I was having issues again. Such as loss of power,surges Ect. So I kept finding it was leaking again as it would heat up. So I kept snugging it and it started to collapse again. So that's it I was done with it. I need reliability this is not cutting it. I ordered a K&N reusable drop in filter for the OEM intake put it back on and never looked back. I am so happy now its rock solid. So what I lost a bit of turbo whoosh I don't care the car is running proper with the JB4 Now. I can run E-35-E40 on MAP 7 all day an it's stout, stable and consistent. I'm gonna go to the track next week and see what its laying down. Plus when you think about it the OEM Intake is getting nice forced fresh air from outside and its not sitting there sucking in hot air from the engine bay. I'm sorry buger bad design on that intake but the JB4 is pretty dam awesome. Until someone comes out with something aluminum & proven I will not change it.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2015, 06:10 AM   #61
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
OK so I know it's been a wile but I have to update the last couple post regarding the BMS intake. So after contacting burger about the collapsed intake they immediately sent me a replacement tube no questions asked. I put it in and not but a couple days later I was having issues again. Such as loss of power,surges Ect. So I kept finding it was leaking again as it would heat up. So I kept snugging it and it started to collapse again. So that's it I was done with it. I need reliability this is not cutting it. I ordered a K&N reusable drop in filter for the OEM intake put it back on and never looked back. I am so happy now its rock solid. So what I lost a bit of turbo whoosh I don't care the car is running proper with the JB4 Now. I can run E-35-E40 on MAP 7 all day an it's stout, stable and consistent. I'm gonna go to the track next week and see what its laying down. Plus when you think about it the OEM Intake is getting nice forced fresh air from outside and its not sitting there sucking in hot air from the engine bay. I'm sorry buger bad design on that intake but the JB4 is pretty dam awesome. Until someone comes out with something aluminum & proven I will not change it.
FYI they recently determined what the issue is in the tube MAF molding area and are working on a fix via the tube itself. But with their OBDII JB4 firmware they also rigged up a cool algorithm to eliminate the MAF sensor all together and keep the engine in full time wideband AFR control like the N54 uses. Which also makes the idle perfect with any intake and has some minor performance improvements.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2015, 12:22 PM   #62
ocN55
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sorry to hear that, are you over tightening the clamps? I haven't hear of people having collapsed brackets like your. This would only be caused by over tightening.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2015, 08:34 PM   #63
M-terkait
Major
Kuwait
Rep
Drives: F30 335i 3/13

Quote:
Noway i live in a much hotter climate than yours our days are near 50*C and nights which are 40*C at best.. and i didn't see that happen.
only issue is in winter where its 20*C or less.
      07-08-2015, 07:09 AM   #64
Jasond13
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-terkait View Post
Noway i live in a much hotter climate than yours our days are near 50*C and nights which are 40*C at best.. and i didn't see that happen.
only issue is in winter where its 20*C or less.
Are you using a BMS intake?
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2015, 08:12 AM   #65
M-terkait
Major
Kuwait
Rep
Drives: F30 335i 3/13

Quote:
Are you using a BMS intake?
now, no. i didn't like the whooshing.
      07-08-2015, 08:17 AM   #66
Jasond13
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
FYI they recently determined what the issue is in the tube MAF molding area and are working on a fix via the tube itself. But with their OBDII JB4 firmware they also rigged up a cool algorithm to eliminate the MAF sensor all together and keep the engine in full time wideband AFR control like the N54 uses. Which also makes the idle perfect with any intake and has some minor performance improvements.

Mike
Thanks for the info Mike, I knew I was not crazy there is a definite issue with the intake. I really want to use it but I need reliability I use my car to commute every day. Even if they find a fix for it the bottom line is it's not actually a Cold air intake. It's too susceptible to heat soak, It's not getting that exclusive sealed cooled air like the stock one does and if you notice Dinana has taken advantage of that with there New intake.
Appreciate 0