THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning OBD Flash Tune From Active Autowerke **No ECU REMOVAL REQUIRED**

02-27-2018, 05:04 PM   #67
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
I'm in no way saying all OTS maps are the same. If anything, AA's tuning strategy has historically been pretty aggressive compared to others. I was seriously considering their Active-8 unit a while back until I read all the reviews about inconsistent and unsmooth power delivery, typically occurring after a some miles got on the unit. I hope that AA isn't pushing the limits with it's flash tunes just for power bragging rights and sales. I'm also a bit surprised how they were able to introduce a flash tune so quickly when others are still in beta testing. That's why in sitting back and being patient to see third party dynos and longer term usage. I would actually prefer to use their product if it does turn put to be reliable and the support is there. For some of us, modifying an ECU is a bit overwhelming. My prior car was 2012 WRX tuned with a Cobb Accessport. Cobb has stellar customer service and has a large team dedicated to troubleshooting. Does AA have the same or do they just rely on this "30 years" of experience as their guarantee? A WRX is one thing but a BMW DME is a totally different animal.
Maybe i did not explain it correctly.

Active are not pushing the limits, they have very balanced OTS maps.
Other companies have mild maps for reasons explained in my first reply (has nothing to do with limits or safety)

I was a Cobb customer myself, unfortunately i do not agree with you about their customer service. I contacted them couple times and i was disappointed every single time.

Active Autowerke support and customer service are levels above Cobb in my opinion.

As for the part about how fast AA had their tune ready, this is another proof showing how good their tuners are.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2018, 03:40 PM   #68
kdog26372
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterongear View Post
My boost gauge is very accurate. Not sure why 97 octane would not be enough to produce 25psi. The flash tune alone gives me 22psi. Before Simon3 I was getting 14psi with just the dinantronics sport. What do you need me to do to prove it to you? Want me to make some videos for you or something? So you are also saying that i have a 0% chance that the previous owner did not upgrade the turbo before possibly selling it for an M3/4/5/6... It does happen.

And how is it too much heat if I am data logging and the heat is normal. Same as it has always been, even a little less with the FMIC.
Pretty simple, go to the strip and post your timeslip from a quarter mile run. The trap speed will be a very good indication of the type of power you are putting down vs. the numerous others to compare to on this platform. Double the PSI of a tuned N55 seems out of spec, but anything is possible, so go to the track and report back.
      02-28-2018, 04:15 PM   #69
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
My boost gauge is very accurate. Not sure why 97 octane would not be enough to produce 25psi. The flash tune alone gives me 22psi. Before Simon3 I was getting 14psi with just the dinantronics sport. What do you need me to do to prove it to you? Want me to make some videos for you or something? So you are also saying that i have a 0% chance that the previous owner did not upgrade the turbo before possibly selling it for an M3/4/5/6... It does happen.

And how is it too much heat if I am data logging and the heat is normal. Same as it has always been, even a little less with the FMIC.
Per AA, their Stage 2 tune produces a maximum of 18 psi.

I think it's highly unlikely that you're car was modded with a Pure Stage 2 or similar. What leads you to that conclusion? 14 psi with the Dinantronics Sport is completely normal. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding, are you stacking the Dinantronics Sport on top of the AA tune? Even then, I don't see how 22+psi is possible or why'd you'd want to do it even with 97 octane (doesn't seem nearly high enough).

Last edited by XutvJet; 02-28-2018 at 04:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2018, 05:07 PM   #70
Masterongear
Rep
Drives: 15 M235i Black Saph Metalic

I just got this done, but I have a 8am-6pm career, so when I can, yes to dyno and yes to the track day to post traps. Yes, I am stacking the dinan sport with the flash. Stock 3.5Bar map that AA custom made for me does 22psi alone without the dinan sport. Maybe the previous owner upgraded the compressor wheel. But until I get dyno results, I'll refrain from posting anymore updates on performance increases from my new map and AR DP.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2018, 01:10 PM   #71
jmwilson125
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmwilson125 View Post
I don't think I've ever heard of someone hitting over 24 psi on stock? Are you sure the turbo is stock? This seems a lot more like ps2 territory.
Yeah I think there's a thread on n54tech call something along the lines of "benefits of going over 21 psi"

I think some people run, or have run stock over 21 psi bit there is basically no point. I believe one guy said he hit up to 24 psi, but I may be remembering wrong.

I think the max somewhat efficient psi is between 17 and 20.

The stock turbos usually take till about 3k ton spool up then tapers down to 15ish psi around redline. If you are hitting high boost I think it's basically between 3k and 5k from what I've seen.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2018, 02:40 PM   #72
Drifa
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey m235i

do it

So I just finished swapping my jb4 out for this tune....

I'm actually speechless with how much nicer my car runs now.

If you're thinking about this and you're on the fence, just do it.

1995 Porsche 911
2015 volvo xc-60 t6 awd
Appreciate 1
      03-09-2018, 02:51 PM   #73
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT Mineral White M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifa View Post
So I just finished swapping my jb4 out for this tune....

I'm actually speechless with how much nicer my car runs now.

If you're thinking about this and you're on the fence, just do it.
What other mods do you have?

6MT Mineral White on black M235i coupe
Build thread
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2018, 03:09 PM   #74
Drifa
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey m235i

vrsf intercooler, catless downpipe, and metal charge pipe, as well as a afe drop in dry air filter.

I'll be interested to see what the numbers look like if I can get it to a dyno sometime.

1995 Porsche 911
2015 volvo xc-60 t6 awd
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 01:50 PM   #75
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
vrsf intercooler, catless downpipe, and metal charge pipe, as well as a afe drop in dry air filter.

I'll be interested to see what the numbers look like if I can get it to a dyno sometime.
You would use a stage 2 map , gains would be about ~80 whp and ~125 wtq over stock

Appreciate 1
bryan_G011164.50
      03-12-2018, 11:53 AM   #76
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Review by Jeff
Name:  review.png
Views: 2155
Size:  293.9 KB

Appreciate 0
      03-12-2018, 05:52 PM   #77
Masterongear
Rep
Drives: 15 M235i Black Saph Metalic

Phone App 450WHP now after DP Stage2+ tune and 98 octane

So you all have seen my previous perfexpert dyno app, yes it is an app but before you judge go check out their facebook page and dyno results compared to actual dynos, because if you do the dyno per the instructions it is within 1-3% accuracy. So let us compare apples to apples then, and look at my new dyno results with the AA stage 2+ (This gives me 22psi stock so those saying 18 is max with Simon3 are just wrong), and Nic made this custom map for me specifically for 22psi. Now, add another 2-3psi from my piggyback and I am capped at 25psi, any more and I risk misfires, I've tested it, logged it thoroughly and now know my max output. I also found out that my car came from Carmax with a Pure Stage 2 turbo and upgraded fuel pump, so yes it can happen (for those who doubt all things).

So comparing previous results to my new results, which I can't manipulate in any way or everyone could spot. Even perfexpert is blown away by the results. So here you go, and thanks to AA, with the AR Design Sport Cat new stage2+(raises boost ceiling), colder NGK plugs and 98 octane here are the 2 dyno results.

The first image shows 526whp, the 2nd shows 562whp and the start of the results looks weird because I went over the start speed of 34mph (which begins the dyno recording) backed the speed back down to 34mph and then WOT. The results are very consistent with what I did during that run so I know this app is pretty damn accurate. Ran my wife's Macan and her numbers came out almost identical to what others have shared on forums with actual dynos. These results can't be cheated unless you mess with the car's weight in the settings, but the weight is disclosed. Simon3 is the real deal.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-03-2018, 07:56 PM   #78
ceedawg
Major
Rep
Drives: 2k15 335i xdrive MSport 6spd

Quote:

Please post a dyno log with a baseline run thanks!!!
bryan_G011164.50
      04-03-2018, 09:31 PM   #79
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
So you all have seen my previous perfexpert dyno app, yes it is an app but before you judge go check out their facebook page and dyno results compared to actual dynos, because if you do the dyno per the instructions it is within 1-3% accuracy. So let us compare apples to apples then, and look at my new dyno results with the AA stage 2+ (This gives me 22psi stock so those saying 18 is max with Simon3 are just wrong), and Nic made this custom map for me specifically for 22psi. Now, add another 2-3psi from my piggyback and I am capped at 25psi, any more and I risk misfires, I've tested it, logged it thoroughly and now know my max output. I also found out that my car came from Carmax with a Pure Stage 2 turbo and upgraded fuel pump, so yes it can happen (for those who doubt all things).

So comparing previous results to my new results, which I can't manipulate in any way or everyone could spot. Even perfexpert is blown away by the results. So here you go, and thanks to AA, with the AR Design Sport Cat new stage2+(raises boost ceiling), colder NGK plugs and 98 octane here are the 2 dyno results.

The first image shows 526whp, the 2nd shows 562whp and the start of the results looks weird because I went over the start speed of 34mph (which begins the dyno recording) backed the speed back down to 34mph and then WOT. The results are very consistent with what I did during that run so I know this app is pretty damn accurate. Ran my wife's Macan and her numbers came out almost identical to what others have shared on forums with actual dynos. These results can't be cheated unless you mess with the car's weight in the settings, but the weight is disclosed. Simon3 is the real deal.
Go get a real dyno and then we'll have something to talk about.
Appreciate 2
bryan_G011164.50
ceedawg467.50
      08-18-2018, 07:35 PM   #80
AggieM235i
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Initial Thoughts on AA Flash

I just flashed my M235i with the AA Stage 1 tune. I'm thrilled with the results. Thank you, Mike for helping me get this. I've only done a quick 15-minute drive since install, but here is my premature opinion. Install was 20-30 minutes from the time I hooked up the battery charger to the time I was pulling out of the driveway, this includes writing a backup file of stock parameters.

As others have touched upon, the driving is smoother than before the flash. Hands down, not even close. It is what I noticed immediately in Comfort Mode. I have no experience with the flashing/tuning side of mods and it seems every bit worth spending the extra $$ over a piggyback tune for the drivability aspect. I have a few buddies on varying levels of modified BMWs that have JB4s and I can see why some people may feel they don't deliver the power smoothly. Not an expert opinion, but simply my takeaway.

Spooling and intake noise has increased, possible exhaust volume increase (not completely sold on this, could be placebo), gears are held significantly longer while in Sport Mode, seemingly extra power along the entire RPM range.

Pumped to get a few more mods in the car and upgrade to the Stage 2!

For reference: About 95 degree heat (feels like 110), 50% humidity, Houston.

Last edited by AggieM235i; 08-18-2018 at 07:36 PM.. Reason: update info
Appreciate 2
ceedawg467.50
      09-29-2018, 09:38 PM   #81
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luftwaffe1O1 View Post
That torque though.... they might as well sell rear wheels and fender flares with it, that is going to roast the stock 245s
Still have the Z3 I see.
Appreciate 0