THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Perfectly Optioned M235i or M240i + Interior Swap

08-26-2020, 01:29 PM   #1
CMW M Fan
Rep
Drives: Chevy Cobalt SS

Perfectly Optioned M235i or M240i + Interior Swap

I'm looking at a 2015 6MT Alpine White M235i w/Coral Red interior with 52k miles and looks to be in immaculate condition and fully loaded for $23k. Wouldn't spec this car any other way. I'm going to look at it over labor day weekend. The common fail points haven't been replaced yet and I'll need to spend another $2k for scheduled maintenance and to redo window tint that is too dark for my states regulations

I've also been looking at a 2018 6MT Mineral Gray Metallic M240i w/Oyster interior with 17k miles, warrantied until 2022, and fully loaded. I can get it for right at the edge of my price range for 33k w/Shipping. This is literally the only 6MT Car with premium package in my price range that isn't over priced that I've found in the past month.

I'd be happier with an M240i for the tuning potential and I like the looks of the LCI refresh better as well. It's very hard to find 6MT M240's in my price range specced the way I like. I want to get into a car before winter as my current one struggles now but with the rarity of 6MTs a better deal is unlikely to pop up.

The only thing I dislike about the M240 is the Oyster interior and is the whole reason I'm posting. Beige interiors just don't feel sporty to me which is what I'm going for. I can't visit the car in person and don't know if I'd be able to live with it. How much and how difficult would a seat/interior swap be if I found black or red second hand market seats. Would this even be worth my time?

I'm having trouble deciding between the car I really want that's warranted but with a sacrifice or one that I want less with no sacrifices and is cheaper but some work needed.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 04:05 PM   #2
TonM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E46 M3 / 2017 M240

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMW M Fan View Post
I'm looking at a 2015 6MT Alpine White M235i w/Coral Red interior with 52k miles and looks to be in immaculate condition and fully loaded for $23k. Wouldn't spec this car any other way. I'm going to look at it over labor day weekend. The common fail points haven't been replaced yet and I'll need to spend another $2k for scheduled maintenance and to redo window tint that is too dark for my states regulations

I've also been looking at a 2018 6MT Mineral Gray Metallic M240i w/Oyster interior with 17k miles, warrantied until 2022, and fully loaded. I can get it for right at the edge of my price range for 33k w/Shipping. This is literally the only 6MT Car with premium package in my price range that isn't over priced that I've found in the past month.

I'd be happier with an M240i for the tuning potential and I like the looks of the LCI refresh better as well. It's very hard to find 6MT M240's in my price range specced the way I like. I want to get into a car before winter as my current one struggles now but with the rarity of 6MTs a better deal is unlikely to pop up.

The only thing I dislike about the M240 is the Oyster interior and is the whole reason I'm posting. Beige interiors just don't feel sporty to me which is what I'm going for. I can't visit the car in person and don't know if I'd be able to live with it. How much and how difficult would a seat/interior swap be if I found black or red second hand market seats. Would this even be worth my time?

I'm having trouble deciding between the car I really want that's warranted but with a sacrifice or one that I want less with no sacrifices and is cheaper but some work needed.
I've taken almost every interior piece off the car putting in speakers and a new head unit.

Not that difficult except for the rear panels in the back. mine is a convertible so the coupe may be different.

Seats easy, door panels super easy, center channel medium.

There are several full sets on eBay though hard to tell the condition from pictures. I have wanted to get an oyster interior for my convertible, but would just do the seats and leave the rest of the interior black.

I've been watching this set forever on eBay
Attached Images

08-26-2020, 04:32 PM   #3
4Hockey4
Banned
Rep
Drives: Pinto

sounds like you should by his !!!

I love the gray/tan combo, always loved on 911...esp. the old ones. I'm unique
Appreciate 1
Sportstick4654.00
      08-26-2020, 04:39 PM   #4
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Hockey4 View Post
I love the gray/tan combo, always loved on 911...esp. the old ones. I'm unique
Actually, you are not! I agree with you completely.

My first BMW was anthracite over tan and it had a classic sporting look. I get that red might more expressive and fun. But, no need for OP to make it feel closed in, hot, and dark with black. More funereal than sporty.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 04:55 PM   #5
CMW M Fan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonM3 View Post
I've taken almost every interior piece off the car putting in speakers and a new head unit.

Not that difficult except for the rear panels in the back. mine is a convertible so the coupe may be different.

There are several full sets on eBay though hard to tell the condition from pictures. I have wanted to get an oyster interior for my convertible, but would just do the seats and leave the rest of the interior black.

What's your interior color now? If I picked up the M240i and the seats aren't different from Coupe and Convertible would you be up to swapping? If it's black I'd be up for just doing the seats. The interior door trim actually looks ok to me. I don't mind the beige as an accent the seats as just the one color is just too much of it.

Last edited by CMW M Fan; 08-26-2020 at 05:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 05:02 PM   #6
CMW M Fan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
Actually, you are not! I agree with you completely.

My first BMW was anthracite over tan and it had a classic sporting look. I get that red might more expressive and fun. But, no need for OP to make it feel closed in, hot, and dark with black. More funereal than sporty.
The hot seats are definitely a downside for sure. I've got Recaros with black leather bolstering in my current vehicle. The cushions on the bottom and back are mesh so that part doesn't get hot but the sides definitely can get you.

I've always loved beige as a more luxurious feel but never had it in a sports car. It's also seemed like more of a classy choice rather than sporty. But like I said I can't actually go check out the car in person. Would hate to have it delivered and be upset with it. The rest of the car is great though. Maybe I need to go into my local bimmer dealership and see if they have any oyster specced coupes that I can sit in.
Appreciate 1
spidy512494.50
      08-26-2020, 05:06 PM   #7
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
The hot seats are definitely a downside for sure. I've got Recaros with black leather bolstering in my current vehicle. The cushions on the bottom and back are mesh so that part doesn't get hot but the sides definitely can get you.

I've always loved beige as a more luxurious feel but never had it in a sports car. It's also seemed like more of a classy choice rather than sporty. But like I said I can't actually go check out the car in person. Would hate to have it delivered and be upset with it. The rest of the car is great though. Maybe I need to go into my local bimmer dealership and see if they have any oyster specced coupes that I can sit in.
Does this help?

http://www.2040-cars.com/Ferrari/348...terior-835794/
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 05:15 PM   #8
CMW M Fan
Rep

Quote:
Definitely does look pretty good on the Ferrari lol. Maybe I'm being a bit too picky.
Appreciate 1
8Bmw168.00
      08-26-2020, 05:45 PM   #9
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 06:48 PM   #10
FCBuff
Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: '16 M235I XDrive

I think oyster looks great. Would be happy with that all day.
I do not think the swap would be a good idea from an economic point of view, not to mention the hassle of sourcing it, shipping it etc. These cars aren't that special. Is it really worth it? maybe. That is up to you I guess. Get the gray/oyster m240 and be happy. In the end, if oyster interior bugs you, I would just go with m235 that you like. Or wait until another one pops up that meets your requirements. Sometimes patience is the best route.
BrettKA7566.50
      08-26-2020, 10:17 PM   #11
perryair
late registration
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 m240i

i have oyster. its nice. picks up a bit of coloration after time, but also isnt nearly as hot and provides a respite from the dark void of all black interior.
      08-26-2020, 11:14 PM   #12
TonM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

What's your interior color now? If I picked up the M240i and the seats aren't different from Coupe and Convertible would you be up to swapping? If it's black I'd be up for just doing the seats. The interior door trim actually looks ok to me. I don't mind the beige as an accent the seats as just the one color is just too much of it.
Mine is the pleather black. But the rear seats are different on the convertible.
      08-27-2020, 04:48 AM   #13
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

If it must be manual go for the N55 car.

Putting a manual in a 240 is like retrofitting an 8 track player because some think that old school is cool. It really isn't.

But in any case the seats and interior can be improved.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
msendit424.00
      08-27-2020, 08:47 AM   #14
TonM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post

Putting a manual in a 240 is like retrofitting an 8 track player because some think that old school is cool. It really isn't.

But in any case the seats and interior can be improved.
Anti-manualites
Attached Images

08-27-2020, 08:52 AM   #15
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
Oyster really doesn't look like beige until you hold a piece of white paper next to it - works really well with Melbourne Red:
Attached Images

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 10:05 AM   #16
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Anti-manualites
No, Superior Beings.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 10:16 AM   #17
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:

I cannot find any logic in this statement. If one prefers a manual transmission, and the rest of the car is packaged as desired, how does this at all relate to "old school" based on which six cylinder engine is present and what does being "cool" have to do with personally enjoying a manual?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 02:35 PM   #18
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I cannot find any logic in this statement. If one prefers a manual transmission, and the rest of the car is packaged as desired, how does this at all relate to "old school" based on which six cylinder engine is present and what does being "cool" have to do with personally enjoying a manual?
The two engines are quite different in character. B58 with newer engine management, throttle by wire, dual mass flywheel, makes the B58 compromised as a manual. My opinion of course.

Manual vs ZF8? I'm definitely not anti manual. There is nothing like a 6 speed Porsche flat 6 stick shift for pure driving reward. Modern manual BMW's are just a sloppy compromise and not the better of the two when compared with ZF8, especially so in B58 flavour.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 03:01 PM   #19
Pray for Mojo
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i & 2018 X3 M40i

N55 has "newer engine management" whatever that means, drive by wire throttle, and a dual mass flywheel. You're acting like there was a quantum leap between the two akin to carburetion vs fuel injection.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 03:12 PM   #20
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Putting a manual in a 240 is like retrofitting an 8 track player because some think that old school is cool. It really isn't
Quote:
The two engines are quite different in character. B58 with newer engine management, throttle by wire, dual mass flywheel, makes the B58 compromised as a manual. My opinion of course.
The facts about the engine are not the issue. The OP is looking for a rare car here...a manual trans 6 cylinder. He's looking at used cars, not new, so budget is an reasonable issue and choices are limited. He found a relatively new 2018 car in great shape with low mileage that essentially meets his desires. The part I find not "cool" is applying condescending purist standards to a reality-based opportunity. High confidence he will love the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 04:29 PM   #21
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pray for Mojo View Post
N55 has "newer engine management" whatever that means, drive by wire throttle, and a dual mass flywheel. You're acting like there was a quantum leap between the two akin to carburetion vs fuel injection.
No, B58 has the next generation ECU from Bosch. It has features that give you 'rev hang' on gear change, an emissions or anti HC feature. Look it up. The control strategy takes drive by wire and throttle by VANOS a step further, makes the connection between your right foot and what the engine does even more remote.

Don't forget the manual car is now the afterthought version, not the lead like it was in e46 days. The B58 programme is built to produce an engine for the 7 series, 5 series, 3 series, etc. Non of the top models are manual. They all share the same tuning characteristics.

That's why I say the N55 is a better manual application.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 04:41 PM   #22
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Putting a manual in a 240 is like retrofitting an 8 track player because some think that old school is cool. It really isn't
Quote:
The facts about the engine are not the issue. The OP is looking for a rare car here...a manual trans 6 cylinder. He's looking at used cars, not new, so budget is an reasonable issue and choices are limited. He found a relatively new 2018 car in great shape with low mileage that essentially meets his desires. The part I find not "cool" is applying condescending purist standards to a reality-based opportunity. High confidence he will love the car.
It's a forum. The OP asked for an opinion. My opinion is an MT is not the most polished version of these cars. But if needs must the N55 is a better choice.

That might prompt a rethink about the more popular ZF8 version and help the OP out. Who knows?!?!? I'm sure the OP is a big boy and will enjoy whatever he decides to commit to.
Appreciate 0