THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Perfectly Optioned M235i or M240i + Interior Swap

08-27-2020, 05:30 PM   #23
TonM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E46 M3 / 2017 M240

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pray for Mojo View Post
N55 has "newer engine management" whatever that means, drive by wire throttle, and a dual mass flywheel. You're acting like there was a quantum leap between the two akin to carburetion vs fuel injection.
No, B58 has the next generation ECU from Bosch. It has features that give you 'rev hang' on gear change, an emissions or anti HC feature. Look it up. The control strategy takes drive by wire and throttle by VANOS a step further, makes the connection between your right foot and what the engine does even more remote.

Don't forget the manual car is now the afterthought version, not the lead like it was in e46 days. The B58 programme is built to produce an engine for the 7 series, 5 series, 3 series, etc. Non of the top models are manual. They all share the same tuning characteristics.

That's why I say the N55 is a better manual application.
I drive a manual B58, my prior cars were manual e90 N54, F30 N55 and S54 e46.

While the steering on my M240 doesn't compare to the e46 or even the e90, the shifter is great and smoother and just as satisfying as it was my E46.
      08-27-2020, 06:18 PM   #24
CMW M Fan
Rep
Drives: Chevy Cobalt SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundelM3 View Post
Oyster really doesn't look like beige until you hold a piece of white paper next to it - works really well with Melbourne Red:
Wow that looks great in direct light. Maybe it was the photos in the ad that didn't do it justice. The picture that dradernh shared from the price and build page looks closer to yours than what the owner took. I had already talked with the owner and negotiated the price and he said it was closer to beige. Unfortunately someone ended up making a better offer so that miner gray with oyster is no longer available. Guess I hesitated too long
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 06:22 PM   #25
4Hockey4
Banned
Rep
Drives: Pinto

Sorry to hear, but a low mileage decent priced manual will go in days. Good luck
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 06:27 PM   #26
CMW M Fan
Rep

Quote:
It's a forum. The OP asked for an opinion. My opinion is an MT is not the most polished version of these cars. But if needs must the N55 is a better choice.

That might prompt a rethink about the more popular ZF8 version and help the OP out. Who knows?!?!? I'm sure the OP is a big boy and will enjoy whatever he decides to commit to.
I respect your opinion. Some people prefer certain cars in certain forms. I wouldn't buy a supercar without an automatic transmission. It just makes it less super.

I've definitely come to terms with having the "lesser" car. The ZF8 is a beast and will always outperform a manual. The days of the manual are ending however and as I am young and didn't get to experience some of the older cars when they were new I want to enjoy that feeling while I can.

I did find it interesting that you'd recommend the M235i with a manual. I'm sure it has to do more with characteristics but something that surprised me when I started looking at these cars was the gap in performance with an auto and manual M240 is smaller than with the M235i in a lot of magazine testing. But we're just pointing at numbers on paper at that point

Last edited by CMW M Fan; 08-27-2020 at 06:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 06:34 PM   #27
CMW M Fan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
The facts about the engine are not the issue. The OP is looking for a rare car here...a manual trans 6 cylinder. He's looking at used cars, not new, so budget is an reasonable issue and choices are limited. He found a relatively new 2018 car in great shape with low mileage that essentially meets his desires. The part I find not "cool" is applying condescending purist standards to a reality-based opportunity. High confidence he will love the car.
Rare is definitely an understatement. I've had easier time locating lower production run cars with auto/manual options than these. Even if I had unlimited budget it might open up two more options for me. Just not many on the market.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2020, 02:55 PM   #28
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

Quote:
Don't forget the manual car is now the afterthought version, not the lead like it was in e46 days. The B58 programme is built to produce an engine for the 7 series, 5 series, 3 series, etc. Non of the top models are manual. They all share the same tuning characteristics.

the “top model” has a take rate on manual transmissions of around 50 percent in the US. No B58 though, I’ll give you that.

Honestly dude, it’s a toy, not a contest. There’s no prize for “winning,” the only rewards here are smiles. The best transmission is whatever transmission makes the driver happiest.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2020, 07:58 PM   #29
scoale
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 /M2C/540

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M2  [10.00]
2018 BMW 540  [0.00]
2013 Porsche Boxster S  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
If it must be manual go for the N55 car.

Putting a manual in a 240 is like retrofitting an 8 track player because some think that old school is cool. It really isn't.

But in any case the seats and interior can be improved.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2020, 10:56 AM   #30
PDM5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 240i 6 Speed

Lol wut? Was the argument really made that the N55 is the better car with a manual because the B58 is used in 3, 5, 7 etc series guise as auto only? It's not like BMW put the N55 in these same cars (and more) with an autotragic transmission . . .

I mean we all love our cars, but holy crap no need to justify your purchasing decision to anyone but yourself. It's not like any of these modern cars are "analog" like to good ol' days, so that argument is out the window.

Anyway, OP definitely don't settle on a car. Get the right spec you want because you'll regret it if you settle. I never got why people cheaped out on the initial car purchase to save a few bucks to then spend the price difference (if not more) trying to get those same options retrofitted in what generally turns out to be a jerry-rigged fashion. Not saying the interior/seat swap would fall into this category as that is a simple like-for-like switch. I'm talking about the options on the car as well as the transmission/engine you want.

Last edited by PDM5; 09-09-2020 at 06:31 PM..
Appreciate 0