THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Sport mode and moving the shifter to the left position

11-24-2015, 02:30 PM   #1
geep81
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235xi

Sport mode and moving the shifter to the left position

Question- is my car not in max "sport mode" if I just click sport or sport+? It seems to me if I am in sport+, and move the shifter to the left S/Manual position, the engine is even more aggressive/holds a lower gear than just in sport or sport+. Am I correct in thinking to make the car go as much as possible, I have to be in sport mode + have the shifter in S/M mode?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 02:33 PM   #2
alexc93
Colonel
Rep
Drives: na

Sport = firmer steering & suspension dampening
Sport+ = firmer steering & suspension dampening & traction control off

Sport & shifter in D/S = firmer steering & suspension dampening & gearbox in sport mode
Sport+ & shifter in D/S = firmer steering & suspension dampening & traction control off & gearbox in sport mode

When the shifter is to the left in D/S shifts are more aggressive and slightly faster I think.

I THINK what I have above is correct but if anyone else can confirm please chime in! I've seen a ton of threads on this
Appreciate 1
      11-24-2015, 02:34 PM   #3
midwest 340xi 6sp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by geep81 View Post
Question- is my car not in max "sport mode" if I just click sport or sport+? It seems to me if I am in sport+, and move the shifter to the left S/Manual position, the engine is even more aggressive/holds a lower gear than just in sport or sport+. Am I correct in thinking to make the car go as much as possible, I have to be in sport mode + have the shifter in S/M mode?
Sport shift holds the gears longer....I mostly keep my car in sport shift whether I have it in comfort, sport or sport+

Only time I don't is when I am cruising longer distances on freeway.

No need to run the rev higher and hurt the fuel economy in those situations imo.

Just out of curiosity, did you get this car new or used from BMW?

These are very basic questions I would think a well trained, cares about their job sales advisor would have explained to you at delivery.
      11-24-2015, 02:53 PM   #4
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Alexc93 is close, but on my car the Sport and Sport+ options on the rocker switch also change gearshift points to be higher in the rev range. I'm not totally sure if those settings use the same map as switching the transmission to D/S mode, however. IIRC from other threads, the conjecture is that the maps are similar but slightly different.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 02:55 PM   #5
alexc93
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
Alexc93 is close, but on my car the Sport and Sport+ options on the rocker switch also change gearshift points to be higher in the rev range. I'm not totally sure if those settings use the same map as switching the transmission to D/S mode, however. IIRC from other threads, the conjecture is that the maps are similar but slightly different.
Yep forgot to add it will also hold the gear slightly longer, but the D/S mode I think changes the physical feel of the shift. Mine seem more aggressive when in D/S mode
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 02:59 PM   #6
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexc93 View Post
Yep forgot to add it will also hold the gear slightly longer, but the D/S mode I think changes the physical feel of the shift. Mine seem more aggressive when in D/S mode
That's my experience as well. I drive 75 percent in Comfort mode; if I feel a need to be in the power band (i.e., merging with dense highway traffic), I'll simply slide the lever to D/S and let the car rip when needed. Freaked a few people out doing that, hehe.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 04:23 PM   #7
B.a.f
228i - 2015-03
France
Rep
Drives: 228i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike
Quote:
That's my experience as well. I drive 75 percent in Comfort mode; if I feel a need to be in the power band (i.e., merging with dense highway traffic), I'll simply slide the lever to D/S and let the car rip when needed. Freaked a few people out doing that, hehe.
I think this is because when you shift the "joystick" to manual while in Comfort mode the ZF software does a one gear shift down !
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 04:27 PM   #8
geep81
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest M235i View Post
Sport shift holds the gears longer....I mostly keep my car in sport shift whether I have it in comfort, sport or sport+

Only time I don't is when I am cruising longer distances on freeway.

No need to run the rev higher and hurt the fuel economy in those situations imo.

Just out of curiosity, did you get this car new or used from BMW?

These are very basic questions I would think a well trained, cares about their job sales advisor would have explained to you at delivery.
Thanks, I was confused because under the sport mode configurations I can change the settings from "ENGINE & CHASSIS" to just ENGINE or just CHASSIS. So I thought maybe the sport mode activated both of these things.

I bought this car new from my local large BMW dealer. These items all seemed straightforward when I was testing/buying the car, but have only made me wonder after a couple weeks driving it.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 04:29 PM   #9
shark715
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 X5 50i, '16 M235xi vert

Quote:
D/S mode I think changes the physical feel of the shift. Mine seem more aggressive when in D/S mode
I notice the same thing in our M235. as well as our X5 (that has a very similar transmission), and our Mini too (which has a 6 speed automatic). I'm not sure that I would call it more aggressive...I would tend to call it "less smooth". I always assumed it was because in D/S the driver is telling the trans when to shift, whereas in full automatic mode (irrespective of whether you are in Comfort, Sport or Eco) the transmission is following some sort of software program theoretically telling it when the right time to shift is.

In any event I do love the very fast shifting ZF 8 speed rear wheel drive trans that most of us have in our cars. I've drive dual clutch transmissions in other BMW's and also in Porsches, and this transmission shifts nearly as fast with the downside of a dual clutch.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 04:30 PM   #10
geep81
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.a.f View Post
I think this is because when you shift the "joystick" to manual while in Comfort mode the ZF software does a one gear shift down !
That could make sense, it already shifts down when I put it into sport after I am moving, and then downshifts once more when I move the joystick. It could be an automatic "shift down 1 time when engaging the stick" I guess??
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 04:46 PM   #11
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That's only part of it, though. Shift points are definitely higher, to the point where the car will hold a gear at high revs for a couple of seconds upon lifting off the throttle to coast. It'll shift up only if you gently depress the accelerator, indicating a 'behavior change'.

Note to the OP: In any driving mode, if you quickly tap the accelerator to the floor, the car will automatically downshift to the lowest gear available for the given speed. However, because Comfort mode has a 'softer' throttle response, it sometimes take the car a bit of time to do this in that mode. That's primarily why I use the D/S setting on the transmission for situational throttle changes.

Another note: if you're in manual mode and shifting manually using the paddles -- which you can do in full auto mode as well -- moving the transmission stick either way automatically and instantaneously cancels manual mode.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 04:46 PM   #12
B.a.f
228i - 2015-03
France
Rep
Drives: 228i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by geep81
Quote:
That could make sense, it already shifts down when I put it into sport after I am moving, and then downshifts once more when I move the joystick. It could be an automatic "shift down 1 time when engaging the stick" I guess??
I can't confirm as I set up my Sport mode to "Chassis Only" and the gearbox does not shift down when I select sport mode. I prefer the handling in Sport mode in tight corners but on highways it never shifts to 8th gear if Chassis & Motor is set.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 05:07 PM   #13
allthatisntnow
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C, 991 C2

Sport and Sport + appear to have the same shift strategy, but moving the shifter to D/S makes it hang on a bit more towards 6k rather than 5k and the torque band.

The point of sport plus, from what i gather, is to allow you to have dynamic traction control and delayed dsc intervention with sport chassis and sport throttle response.

Turning dynamic traction on in any other mode defaults back to comfort chassis and throttle (at least in my car) and turning dsc fully off in any mode defaults back to comfort for what seems to be modulation purposes.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 07:44 PM   #14
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

Quote:
Thanks, I was confused because under the sport mode configurations I can change the settings from "ENGINE & CHASSIS" to just ENGINE or just CHASSIS. So I thought maybe the sport mode activated both of these things.

I bought this car new from my local large BMW dealer. These items all seemed straightforward when I was testing/buying the car, but have only made me wonder after a couple weeks driving it.
Engine changes the shift logic as well as the throttle response.

Pulling the shifter over engages the most aggressive shift mapping.
      11-25-2015, 12:59 AM   #15
Cpdbeemer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i & X6 5.0

Quote:

Sport & shifter in D/S = firmer steering & suspension dampening & gearbox in sport mode
Sport+ & shifter in D/S = firmer steering & suspension dampening & traction control off & gearbox in sport mode

When the shifter is to the left in D/S shifts are more aggressive and slightly faster I think.

I THINK what I have above is correct but if anyone else can confirm please chime in! I've seen a ton of threads on this
I don't quite agree (m235i).
Sport & shifter in D/S = firmer steering & suspension dampening & gearbox in sport mode & more sensitive/aggressive throttle, traction control allows some slip
Sport+ & shifter in D/S = firmer steering & suspension dampening & gearbox in sport mode & more sensitive throttle, traction control in fact is almost off but still there
Appreciate 1
      11-25-2015, 09:57 AM   #16
NotARealMCar
Wannabe ///M Car Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i 6spd Fake ///M

Quote:

Very close...this is what it does:

With the gear selector in regular D and selecting the different driving dynamics button:

-Sport: Increases throttle response, Holds out gears longer, Stiffens suspension, Opens second exhaust port (makes it a little louder)
-Sport+: Same as sport but activates Dynamic Traction Control**. What DTC does is it allows the cars wheels to spin a little bit but if too much out of control, Traction Control will kick in.

With the Gear selector in D/S:

-When slid over to the left position, it activates regular Sport mode (same as above). As soon as you either 1. pull the paddle shifter or 2. push/pull the gear selector to change gears, it leaves you in control of the gearbox. I am 99.99% sure it does not change the aggressiveness of the shifts (that's a real ///M car feature).

-When slid over to the left position plus hitting the Sport+ mode does the same thing as above and also the same thing as far as pushing/pulling the gear selector/paddle shifter.

**While we are on the topic...DTC (Dynamic Traction Control) and DSC (Dynamic Stability Control) are two different settings.

Best way to describe the 3 settings are this:

Turn the car on and don't touch any buttons- This means Traction Control is fully activated: It's like taking a child to the play ground and and you're helping them down the slide, cross the monkey bars, etc.

If you press the Traction Control button once: This activates DTC: Using the same analogy, this is like taking the kid to the park, but taking a few steps back and allowing them to go down the slide on their own BUT if something were to happen, you're there to catch them.

If you press and HOLD the button: This turns OFF DSC. This means your at the bar getting banged up and completely forgot you took your kid to the park.

Hope all this stuff helps!
      11-25-2015, 08:16 PM   #17
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

If you are in Sport mode configured it to either drivetrain only or drivetrain and chassis... then putting the shifter in D/S does nothing but to downshift a gear momentarily

Sport mode already includes D/S mode for the shifter
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2015, 09:57 AM   #18
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Good lord just drive in manual mode then YOU get to control how the car drives.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 07:38 AM   #19
alexc93
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
Good lord just drive in manual mode then YOU get to control how the car drives.
Productive response...
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2015, 06:49 AM   #20
2Banger
M POSTER
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2er

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotARealMCar View Post
Very close...this is what it does:

With the gear selector in regular D and selecting the different driving dynamics button:

-Sport: Increases throttle response, Holds out gears longer, Stiffens suspension, Opens second exhaust port (makes it a little louder)
-Sport+: Same as sport but activates Dynamic Traction Control**. What DTC does is it allows the cars wheels to spin a little bit but if too much out of control, Traction Control will kick in.

With the Gear selector in D/S:

-When slid over to the left position, it activates regular Sport mode (same as above). As soon as you either 1. pull the paddle shifter or 2. push/pull the gear selector to change gears, it leaves you in control of the gearbox. I am 99.99% sure it does not change the aggressiveness of the shifts (that's a real ///M car feature).

-When slid over to the left position plus hitting the Sport+ mode does the same thing as above and also the same thing as far as pushing/pulling the gear selector/paddle shifter.

**While we are on the topic...DTC (Dynamic Traction Control) and DSC (Dynamic Stability Control) are two different settings.

Best way to describe the 3 settings are this:

Turn the car on and don't touch any buttons- This means Traction Control is fully activated: It's like taking a child to the play ground and and you're helping them down the slide, cross the monkey bars, etc.

If you press the Traction Control button once: This activates DTC: Using the same analogy, this is like taking the kid to the park, but taking a few steps back and allowing them to go down the slide on their own BUT if something were to happen, you're there to catch them.

If you press and HOLD the button: This turns OFF DSC. This means your at the bar getting banged up and completely forgot you took your kid to the park.

Hope all this stuff helps!
Appreciate 1
      12-07-2022, 12:53 PM   #21
PenelopeLaneM235ix
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW m235i xDrive

I have a 2016 BMW m235i xdrive with an MHD flash tune and a transmission flash. Not sure if that changes what the left position on shift knob (M/S) vs D

For me the comfort vs sport mode vs sport mode + is as described above by a few people. Changing suspension and drive train and take traction control off etc etc.

However, there is ALSO 100% a different in the transmission gear changes when it is is (M/S) mode aka moved to the Left.

When it is in D mode and I am in sport plus and I drive around it is a very sporty transmission. BUT - when I also put it in M/S mode on the shift know the gear changes are even more aggressive.

The easier way to notice this is to go 120 mph. In D setting you will be in D8. In (M/S) setting you will be in S7 gear. Also the way the car holds gears is very different in (m/s) mode versus D.

Hope that helps. But once again I have an MHD flash tune and transmission tune.
Appreciate 0