THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning port injection questions

03-14-2019, 09:46 PM   #1
Amack
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: EB 2016 M235i

port injection questions

Hey guys.

Have a few questions regarding PI.

Car - 235i n55 FBO

Will be getting a pure stg2 in a few months when I have the time to drive interstate to get it done so that will be coming.

Goal - 500hp daily driven

1 - so the pi kit is for fuelling, is it explicitly for e85 mixes or just extra fuelling in general?

2 - is there expected gains from factory turbo applications?

3 - integration with tunes? I'm running mhd 2+ currently with no jb4, I'll be using the aic controller that comes with the kit. Now is there anything I need to do extra from a tuning stand point? Or an ots mhd map and the aic controller is enough to see benefits?

4 - lpfp and hpfp. Do I need to upgrade either of these to work with a setup aiming for 500hp?

The BMP kit is what I'll be going with, the price point is around 1k and comes with bosh injectors and extra oem style bolts which is nice. If anyone has experience with this kit I'd love to hear it!

Meth - some people like the idea but I don't so won't be going down this route.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 06:39 AM   #2
jmwilson125
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amack View Post
Hey guys.

Have a few questions regarding PI.

Car - 235i n55 FBO

Will be getting a pure stg2 in a few months when I have the time to drive interstate to get it done so that will be coming.

Goal - 500hp daily driven

1 - so the pi kit is for fuelling, is it explicitly for e85 mixes or just extra fuelling in general?

2 - is there expected gains from factory turbo applications?

3 - integration with tunes? I'm running mhd 2+ currently with no jb4, I'll be using the aic controller that comes with the kit. Now is there anything I need to do extra from a tuning stand point? Or an ots mhd map and the aic controller is enough to see benefits?

4 - lpfp and hpfp. Do I need to upgrade either of these to work with a setup aiming for 500hp?

The BMP kit is what I'll be going with, the price point is around 1k and comes with bosh injectors and extra oem style bolts which is nice. If anyone has experience with this kit I'd love to hear it!

Meth - some people like the idea but I don't so won't be going down this route.

Thanks in advance.
1.) I believe most people do e85 or methanol injection although it could be done with pump gas.

2.) As far as I know fueling is the limiting factor, but the turbo is not too far behind. You could prob get a little gain on the factory turbo, but you'd likely be running the turbo in a less efficient range.

3.) Not sure, but I'm pretty sure you'd have to take logs and and make adjustments. From what I've read port injection takes some trial and error to get everything running perfectly.

4.) If you are doing port injection with a pump and tank, then the port injection can be its own system which would not require lpfp or hpfp.

You could could upgrade lpfp and hpfp. This would be used for pump gas or e85 in your gas tank.

I do not have a system yet so take what I said with a grain of salt. I am looking at doing ps2 with intake manifold injection (methanol) in the future though so I have looked into this a little bit.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 12:40 AM   #3
SerenVoX
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M235i Xdrive

Generally PI is recommended for race gas or E85. However if you dial injectors way back you can use it on pump gas to help the HPFP which on our N55 is the weak point. You will need PI or the new xDi HPFP when going PS2 if you want to run more then 15psi on a custom flash. And to make 500 wheel you will need more then 15psi.

Im currently running an M235xi N55 FBO/PS2/Fuel It PI/ AIC6 controller. I am full custom flash with Bootmod3 91OCT. And we added the PI with injectors dialed way back to help the HPFP which was even struggling on 15-16psi mainly after 5500rpm WOT. Adding the PI def helped and car runs smooth to redline on 91 with peak boosts or 15-17psi. anything more and your fuel is the weak point and knock becomes concern.

Your question 4. Adding PI is the band aid to supplementing your HPFP and was the only thing available until recently.. Your new and other choice is to forego PI and buy the xDi HPFP. Its fairly new but is the way to go going forward because this actually replaces the stock HPFP and will allow you to run E85- race fuels no issue. Bootmod3 is also setup to use with xDi integration. Im guessing MHD would have no issue using this too.

I do have a stg3 LPFP and if your looking to run 500hp and PS2 and add PI or xDi then it it only makes sense to have the LPFP upgrade. A stg2 LPFP might be all you need so double check.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 01:20 AM   #4
Amack
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: EB 2016 M235i

Yea I got some advice from some tuners that pi really is the crap version of the hpfp xdi. I wonder what the ots mhd tune runs on 93.

It really seems logical to do the hpfp at the same time but the pump is almost the cost of the turbo so it's either one or the other atm
Appreciate 0