THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes Electric Power Steering coding options?

02-02-2019, 04:38 AM   #1
beevanka
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 6MT

Electric Power Steering coding options?

I've been having my m235i for about half a year, the steering just doesn't quite right compare to my previous e92.
I found this thread, and thinking the m235i or m240i could be coded the same way as the base m2? (<2018) with better EPS (F87 M2 CS)
https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1541527
Anyone knows?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2019, 08:06 PM   #2
matrixhunter
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW X3 SI M + 2014 M235I

Finally ppl are looking in coding steering feel. I've read that the m240i got a revised eps module part # but the rack in the same. Many claim that the m240i steering is heavier than the m235i. Perhaps it's possible to install the new module and program that to work. The M2 has a completely different rack.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 03:47 AM   #3
beevanka
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrixhunter View Post
Finally ppl are looking in coding steering feel. I've read that the m240i got a revised eps module part # but the rack in the same. Many claim that the m240i steering is heavier than the m235i. Perhaps it's possible to install the new module and program that to work. The M2 has a completely different rack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrixhunter View Post
Agreed. Got a loaner 230i a few days ago, surprisingly the steering is also heavier and better than the m235i.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 05:51 AM   #4
Rockstar1487
Tarnished One
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Matrix hunter is correct. Ive been doing extensive research into this. I absolutely cannot stand the 1/2 dead space that is apparent in the steering of the m240i. according to realoem.com....the m235i/240i is straight electric steering, not electric power steering. The m2 is electric power assist steering. The f22 is listed as AT-steering box ELE and the F8x is listed as Electric Power Steering Rack. It might be possible to recode the f22s to increase or decrease weight but i think the ultimate issue with the steering is with the dead space, I've installed a stress bar, it helped but still dead space, installed m2 control arms, helped but still dead space, installed turner motor sport monorail thrust arms, helped but still dead space. I do not notice their being a weight difference between the f22 and the f87 or f82, just a difference in how the f87/f82 has no dead space where the f22 it is completely apparent in. I believe that this is the "weight" difference feel everyone is describing.

for reference here is the link to the straight pipes review of the m240i. just watch the first 5 mins and they'll explain the steering.

Retired: 05 MB 330i, 08 CS 135i, 17 EB M240i, 13 CB 135is, 16 ABM M4
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2019, 08:58 PM   #5
wt888
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar1487 View Post
..... according to realoem.com....the m235i/240i is straight electric steering, not electric power steering. The m2 is electric power assist steering. The f22 is listed as AT-steering box ELE and the F8x is listed as Electric Power Steering Rack.
Only Infinity has steer-by-wire AFAIK.

I was curious about this and you can see used steering racks on ebay with columns, so I'm not sure what those codes mean on realoem, but I doubt it's straight electric steering- it's electric power assisted steering.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2019, 03:37 AM   #6
Rockstar1487
Tarnished One
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt888 View Post
Only Infinity has steer-by-wire AFAIK.

I was curious about this and you can see used steering racks on ebay with columns, so I'm not sure what those codes mean on realoem, but I doubt it's straight electric steering- it's electric power assisted steering.
Its just not good. I hate it so much i got rid of the car. I’ve driven infinty q50 or some big luxury sedan and as much as i dislike that steering also, i disliked the driving experience more in the m240i than i did in that infinity. I bought an m4 just to get away from the 240. It’s disappointing, because the motor is great, it looks good, but the steering is just awful. The m240i was my 4th bmw and the steering drove me away from it.

Last edited by Rockstar1487; 05-31-2019 at 03:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2019, 10:45 AM   #7
Matthewricha
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Matrix hunter is correct. Ive been doing extensive research into this. I absolutely cannot stand the 1/2 dead space that is apparent in the steering of the m240i. according to realoem.com....the m235i/240i is straight electric steering, not electric power steering. The m2 is electric power assist steering. The f22 is listed as AT-steering box ELE and the F8x is listed as Electric Power Steering Rack. It might be possible to recode the f22s to increase or decrease weight but i think the ultimate issue with the steering is with the dead space, I've installed a stress bar, it helped but still dead space, installed m2 control arms, helped but still dead space, installed turner motor sport monorail thrust arms, helped but still dead space. I do not notice their being a weight difference between the f22 and the f87 or f82, just a difference in how the f87/f82 has no dead space where the f22 it is completely apparent in. I believe that this is the "weight" difference feel everyone is describing.

for reference here is the link to the straight pipes review of the m240i. just watch the first 5 mins and they'll explain the steering.
Interesting. I too hanker for my old e92 steering feel (not the overly heavy weight though). So what is the difference mechanically between what you term as "Straight electric steering" and "Electric power steering"?

Looking at realoem the F22's have a different rack (32106889112) than the F87/F80's (32107852660). Both electrically assisted. I know the F22 rack is belt driven from the electric motor.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 11:50 AM   #8
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Why not just bite the bullet and get yourself a nice, well-maintained e36 or e46. I think you'll drive yrself crazy and spend a ton of $$ trying to get a modern car to feel like something with direct, unassisted steering (and it still won't really replicate it).
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 02:58 PM   #9
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Its just not good. I hate it so much i got rid of the car. I’ve driven infinty q50 or some big luxury sedan and as much as i dislike that steering also, i disliked the driving experience more in the m240i than i did in that infinity. I bought an m4 just to get away from the 240. It’s disappointing, because the motor is great, it looks good, but the steering is just awful. The m240i was my 4th bmw and the steering drove me away from it.
Wow, that's extreme Was your M240 not on summer tires? I've had numerous good handling cars were stellar steering feel including a 90 CRX Si with a manual rack on proper tires and suspension. My M235's steering, while not as direct or full of feel, is entirely fine. I know exactly what the tires are doing and can feel plenty. I rent a ton of cars for work, all of which have electric assist steering and my M235's is by far the best electric assist I've experienced so far. I also don't know what this 1/2" of dead space is either. My car steers as expected per the inputs I give it. I feel no dead spots. My summer setup is a 245/35 MP4S square setup with Dinan springs in the rear. That's it. For street-based sports car, it handles and rides exceptionally well.

Lastly, there are no BMWs with drive-by wire steering. The M235/M240 have the same electric assist steering design as the M2/3/4. The difference with those cars are they have more performance oriented suspensions, alignments, more chassis supports, and wider tires. It all makes for a more lively feel.
      06-06-2019, 03:30 AM   #10
Rockstar1487
Tarnished One
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
Wow, that's extreme Was your M240 not on summer tires? I've had numerous good handling cars were stellar steering feel including a 90 CRX Si with a manual rack on proper tires and suspension. My M235's steering, while not as direct or full of feel, is entirely fine. I know exactly what the tires are doing and can feel plenty. I rent a ton of cars for work, all of which have electric assist steering and my M235's is by far the best electric assist I've experienced so far. I also don't know what this 1/2" of dead space is either. My car steers as expected per the inputs I give it. I feel no dead spots. My summer setup is a 245/35 MP4S square setup with Dinan springs in the rear. That's it. For street-based sports car, it handles and rides exceptionally well.

Lastly, there are no BMWs with drive-by wire steering. The M235/M240 have the same electric assist steering design as the M2/3/4. The difference with those cars are they have more performance oriented suspensions, alignments, more chassis supports, and wider tires. It all makes for a more lively feel.
I had 2 setups, winter and summer. Was lowered on ac Schnitzer, had m2 Control Arms, and monoball thrust arms. I did everything i could to get rid of it the dead zone and improve the feel. It did not matter which setup I was on, there is a dead zone in the steering on the 240. It’s clearly not just me that’s noticed it, if the guys above mentioned it and noticed it in their YouTube review, where anyone can watch it. I have asked a few of my friends that have the car near me, they notice it but it doesn’t bother them. The part numbers between the m2/3/4 electric power assist is different from the f22s. Its different, it definitely is. My reaction isn’t that extreme and comes after trying to make it work for me over 3 years, but it just drove me nuts. I have 0 complaints with my 135is or my m4. I had plenty of complaints that revolved around the m240i. So it’s just better that I’m away from the car than being pissed off when I’m in it. At the end of the day, it’s just not for me but I tried.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 03:35 AM   #11
Rockstar1487
Tarnished One
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthewricha View Post
Interesting. I too hanker for my old e92 steering feel (not the overly heavy weight though). So what is the difference mechanically between what you term as "Straight electric steering" and "Electric power steering"?

Looking at realoem the F22's have a different rack (32106889112) than the F87/F80's (32107852660). Both electrically assisted. I know the F22 rack is belt driven from the electric motor.
Exactly. I don’t know. That’s what I’ve was trying to find out. For me, the m240i steering has that dead zone and then was really light in feel. The m2/3/4 has more weight to it (even in comfort) and i don’t get this dead zone. But what the actual difference is between twos rack, beats me. But I’ve stopped researching now, be a use I got rid of the car.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 11:26 AM   #12
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

The "dead zone" that some may have is likely due to a need for the EPS start-up function to be run with ISTA/D to re-learn the straight ahead position and rack limits and calibrate the torque sensor in the rack, especially after any alignment work or suspension component change has happened or after pothole impact that has changed the alignment.

I don't have any dead zone on my 2017 M240i, the only effect that causes any wandering or change in feel around the straight ahead position in my car is due to the tyres tramlining on rutted roads.
Appreciate 1
Maynard3804.50
      06-07-2019, 11:33 AM   #13
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

Quote:
The part numbers between the m2/3/4 electric power assist is different from the f22s. Its different, it definitely is. My reaction isn’t that extreme and comes after trying to make it work for me over 3 years, but it just drove me nuts. I have 0 complaints with my 135is or my m4. I had plenty of complaints that revolved around the m240i. So it’s just better that I’m away from the car than being pissed off when I’m in it. At the end of the day, it’s just not for me but I tried.
Sure, the part numbers are different, but it's the same exact design. The M2/3/4 likely have a larger motor to contend with larger/heavier/wider wheels plus the rack mounts are different. Visually, they look nearly identical compared to the rack found on a standard F series car. All the extra feel comes from the steer programming of the rack, the likely different motor, more stock camber, tires/wheels, harder bushing, etc.

M235 rack
https://www.ebay.com/i/202538159392?chn=ps

M2/3/4 rack
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Steering-Ge...-/303111426812

To say that the M235/240 have terrible feeling steering is rather bonkers. Sure, there are many professional reviews out there that say it lacks feel (same is said for the later model M cars), but the majority say it's some of the best overall steering from BMW in a long time (same said for the M2 obviously).

When I got my M235, I sure didn't think to myself, "OMG this steering is so terrible!!!". I honestly don't know what all the fuss is about. Yeah, there are lots of cars out there with dismal electric steering, but the M235/240 isn't one of them. I hustle my M235 a lot and push it hard. Never once have I felt that I needed more feel from the front end to understand what it's doing. Maybe my opinion would change if I routinely tracked the car, but for B road driving, steering feel isn't high on the complaints list.
Poochie9099.00
      06-07-2019, 06:16 PM   #14
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

Don't forget, BMW intended to make this model compliant for all. It'll never be perfect for anyone except for the average "Joe". We as enthusiasts notice this right away, but nothing a few bushings, performance alignment and an LSD won't fix.

Took my buddy with an M3 CS for a ride the other day, he says my car is noticeably more "raw" and loved the way the car felt through the twisties.

Just a matter of perspective and willingness to venture further to obtain the "feel". All I know is, is that there performance baked into this chassis, which is worth a fraction of what we paid

Last edited by Dylan86; 06-23-2019 at 08:31 PM..
Appreciate 1
Poochie9099.00
      06-08-2019, 05:35 AM   #15
Rockstar1487
Tarnished One
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
Sure, the part numbers are different, but it's the same exact design. The M2/3/4 likely have a larger motor to contend with larger/heavier/wider wheels plus the rack mounts are different. Visually, they look nearly identical compared to the rack found on a standard F series car. All the extra feel comes from the steer programming of the rack, the likely different motor, more stock camber, tires/wheels, harder bushing, etc.

M235 rack
https://www.ebay.com/i/202538159392?chn=ps

M2/3/4 rack
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Steering-Ge...-/303111426812

To say that the M235/240 have terrible feeling steering is rather bonkers. Sure, there are many professional reviews out there that say it lacks feel (same is said for the later model M cars), but the majority say it's some of the best overall steering from BMW in a long time (same said for the M2 obviously).

When I got my M235, I sure didn't think to myself, "OMG this steering is so terrible!!!". I honestly don't know what all the fuss is about. Yeah, there are lots of cars out there with dismal electric steering, but the M235/240 isn't one of them. I hustle my M235 a lot and push it hard. Never once have I felt that I needed more feel from the front end to understand what it's doing. Maybe my opinion would change if I routinely tracked the car, but for B road driving, steering feel isn't high on the complaints list.
I sure didn't think that either when i first bought but after a month or two i started to notice it. Its my opinion, and my opinion is that i do not like the steering feel in the m235/m240. My opinion also states that the M2/M4 is leaps and bounds ahead of the m235/m240 in steering feel and response, and I like it.

Retired: 05 MB 330i, 08 CS 135i, 17 EB M240i, 13 CB 135is, 16 ABM M4
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2019, 11:49 AM   #16
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan86 View Post
Don't forget, BMW intended to make this model compliant for all. It'll never be perfect for anyone except for the average "Joe". We as enthusiasts notice this right away, but nothing a few bushings, performance alignment and an LSD won't fix.

Took my buddy with an M3 CS for a ride the other day, he says my car is noticeably more "raw" and loved the way the car felt through the twisties.

Just a matter of perspective and willingness to venture further to obtain the "feel". All I know is there performance baked into this chassis is worth a fraction of what we paid, in relation to their age
Agreed on all accounts. It's an M lite car for a larger base that's not wanting a full on M car. I specifically ordered my M235 with a 6MT and no moonroof to reduce weight and make for great DD. I installed the LSD and my God the difference. My 245/35 square setup GREATLY improved front end grip. My catted downpipe greatly improved turbo response, SOUND, and power. The Dinan rear springs made a huge difference addressing the bouncy and somewhat disconnected rear axle behavior. At this point, my car performs and handles just as good as an N55 M2 (I've driven them). However, my car doesn't have quite that connected, buttoned down feeling of the M2 with the steering, ride, and overall dynamics. Numbers wise, my M235 is right there. Feel wise, 80-90% there. Prior to my mods, it was more like 60-70%. The primary reason I continue to lust over M2 are those fenders

I could get a used N55 M2, but I think I'm pretty damn happy with the sporty/luxury of my MW with red interior M235. I'm CONSTANTLY asked if it's an M2, probably because the my wheels look similar and MW makes the fenders look larger.

With all that said, I do enjoy driving a more raw car. Right now I'm trying to decide if I'll do a NB Miata and turbo it (like my buddies) or if I'll get a fewer Miata RF. Either one will have full suspension, tires, and alignment for track duty and tolerable for sub-200 miles trips.
Dylan861330.00