THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics DIY and Coding Discussions DIY Maintenance: Computer Concerns

01-05-2019, 08:41 AM   #1
sicktim
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i 6MT

DIY Maintenance: Computer Concerns

He all, I've been doing my own car repairs for about a decade and recently I got a 2015 228i. For now, BMW handles the maintenance, but in a short while the maintenance won't be free anymore. This is when I'll start doing it myself.

I used to work on my e30 325iX and it was simply all mechanical fixes with no computer resets. But that is all about to change. I will never forget when I had to replace a valve cover gasket on my wife's e92. I bought the Bentley manual and followed the procedure, but all the computer resets blew my mind. Even a simple disconnection of the battery required me to reset a whole bunch of systems such as the headlights, chassis sensors, windows, and battery. I'm sure there are more, but that's just an example.

I would like to do all the maintenance on my car, but I'm concerned about the computer interface. Is there any sort of PC program and cable that I can use to handle all of the "computer" facets of maintenance?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2019, 11:30 AM   #2
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
The F2x and F3x chassis so far isn't too dependent on doing any sort of "resets" after maintenance, although you may encounter some fault codes that need to be cleared. You can do that with several different applications, some of which work with smartphones/tablets and others from a Windows-type computer. I personally like Carly for BMW on my Android tablet, which requires a bluetooth OBDII adapter. It can read and clear codes, allow you to do some custom coding, and has a host of other good features like registering a new battery.

In a situation where you replace something like a steering-angle sensor that directly interacts with the car's ECUs, you may need to visit a shop that has the requisite BMW computer to "register" the new part.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0