THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Mid speaker depth

06-22-2018, 01:44 AM   #1
toitle
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i

Mid speaker depth

I'm about to purchase an M235i and was curious if anyone has measured the 4" speaker depth and/or also knows the maximum spacer size.
I've searched and have only found answers recommending speaker sets - unfortunately, none of them publish dimensions.

Even if you've installed a mid from a manufacturer that publishes dimensions that would help a great deal.

Appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2018, 05:04 PM   #2
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by toitle View Post
I'm about to purchase an M235i and was curious if anyone has measured the 4" speaker depth and/or also knows the maximum spacer size.
I've searched and have only found answers recommending speaker sets - unfortunately, none of them publish dimensions.

Even if you've installed a mid from a manufacturer that publishes dimensions that would help a great deal.

Appreciated.
In the doors, you have roughly 23mm of space below the plane of the mount point -- less than an inch. You can add to that clearance with a spacer; a typical F30 spacer with 10-13mm of rise works well for most 4" drivers. Any more than that and you risk the driver making contact with the door card, which has a ring moulded into it that mirrors the position of the driver.

On the back deck, depth is not an issue.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2018, 06:08 PM   #3
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
Coupe yes, convertible no. I haven't measured but I'd guess it's about the same as the doors. OP if you've got a vert you've got one more thing to worry about.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2018, 11:57 PM   #4
toitle
Rep

Quote:
In the doors, you have roughly 23mm of space below the plane of the mount point -- less than an inch. You can add to that clearance with a spacer; a typical F30 spacer with 10-13mm of rise works well for most 4" drivers. Any more than that and you risk the driver making contact with the door card, which has a ring moulded into it that mirrors the position of the driver.

Thanks for your reply. A couple questions if you don't mind:

I was looking through this thread where the OP installed the Focal ISC100:
http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1495377

The claimed (bottom mount) depth by Focal is 49mm. I can't see the spacer that the OP used as having not very much thickness at all.

What drivers have you ran or tried in the door position?

I have about eight to ten 4" drivers to try out in that position (long time in car audio) - with only a few with a low Qts - I'd like to have a plan of attack so I get the install done in one weekend.

I would just run out and measure, but I haven't taken delivery of my car, a coupe, yet.

Again, thanks for the info.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2018, 01:09 PM   #5
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by toitle View Post
Thanks for your reply. A couple questions if you don't mind:

I was looking through this thread where the OP installed the Focal ISC100:
http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1495377

The claimed (bottom mount) depth by Focal is 49mm. I can't see the spacer that the OP used as having not very much thickness at all.

What drivers have you ran or tried in the door position?

I have about eight to ten 4" drivers to try out in that position (long time in car audio) - with only a few with a low Qts - I'd like to have a plan of attack so I get the install done in one weekend.

I would just run out and measure, but I haven't taken delivery of my car, a coupe, yet.

Again, thanks for the info.
My TOTAL bad on this. I misinterpreted my notes ... I should have said 23mm x 2 = 46mm. The 49mm figure that Focal states is probably legit; I always build some padding into measurements like this to account for glass movement and good ol' fashioned inexactness.

I had Hertz Energy ECX 100.4 coaxials installed in my car, which have a top-mount depth of 44mm. The spacer/adapter I used was from eBay and was originally designed for the F30 but was plug-and-play for the F22; IIRC, the lift was about 10mm.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 01:22 AM   #6
toitle
Rep

Quote:
My TOTAL bad on this. I misinterpreted my notes ... I should have said 23mm x 2 = 46mm. The 49mm figure that Focal states is probably legit; I always build some padding into measurements like this to account for glass movement and good ol' fashioned inexactness.

I had Hertz Energy ECX 100.4 coaxials installed in my car, which have a top-mount depth of 44mm. The spacer/adapter I used was from eBay and was originally designed for the F30 but was plug-and-play for the F22; IIRC, the lift was about 10mm.
Excellent. Much appreciated. I'll err on the side of caution and stick to less than 46mm if I can.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 11:40 AM   #7
sethwas
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i

I was looking through some options and just want to clarify:

there are two depth issues here (with the fronts in the doors not the rears which have none): the space from the door card / OEM grille to the face of the speaker, and the space from the back of the magnet to the window glass.

What is the max for each (not in actual measured space, but in speaker lingo 'mounting depth')

i.e. when looking at the specs of a speaker from the manufacturers supplied info, how deep is too deep? And what is the max thickness spacer. (this would be for a mid woofer only not coax which has different issues due to the tweet)

thanks,

Seth
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 04:19 PM   #8
sethwas
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i

here's what I was able to find in the forums...

the focal ISC100 which is a common add on is 49mm or 1.9" deep.
So with an 18mm spacer or .7" it fit.
the issue here was it puts the face of the speaker too close to the door card because it has a tweeter built in which sticks out the front of the speaker.
With no tweeter its no issue.

That sort of answers my question. Can't get a speaker deeper than 2" and can't get a spacer taller than 3/4".
Or ignoring a spacer, you can only work with 1.25" of depth.

unless someone can correct me.

Since most high end speakers have a depth of over 2" - can a 2.25" deep speaker fit? Will a 1" spacer work?

Seth

Last edited by sethwas; 01-31-2019 at 04:26 PM..
Appreciate 0