THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Firearms

02-19-2017, 07:36 PM   #991
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: A car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
I posted those videos for you because you'll get lots of opinions from people about things that work for them. The videos are 100% fundamentally sound. Start there.

Top level special forces operators train all the time leaning new technics to deploy in different situations. But on top of that, they practice those fundamentals every time they train. You need to get a reasonable grasp of those first.

Tried to pm you some of that stuff but was full.
Text it to me
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2017, 07:40 PM   #992
Axius
Banned
Seychelles
Rep
Drives: 612 Scaglietti

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
I'm the same messed up too and find having my right foot slightly forward to be comfortable too.

I have no choice when I'm shooting my AR to have my left foot forward.
It honestly really doesn't matter, whatever works works. Not sure of prolonged untraditional ways, but can't see it having that much effect with enough practice.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2017, 07:41 PM   #993
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara504 View Post
VP9
Interesting. That's the exact gun I got for my wife. She shot it at the range and had one of the range instructors help correct her technique. After the adjustments from the instructor, she was able to close up her groupings pretty much all center mass at 10 yards. She didn't mention to me that the recoil was a problem.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2017, 07:43 PM   #994
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axius View Post
It honestly really doesn't matter, whatever works works. Not sure of prolonged untraditional ways, but can't see it having that much effect with enough practice.
Yep. I agree. When I was playing competitive volleyball, my coaches would always tell me to start with my left foot as my 3 step approach when I'm hitting. But I always started with my right foot as it felt more natural for me. I tried to do the left foot first approach and it messed me up too much where I wasn't able to get my timing straight.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2017, 07:47 PM   #995
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Interesting. That's the exact gun I got for my wife. She shot it at the range and had one of the range instructors help correct her technique. After the adjustments from the instructor, she was able to close up her groupings pretty much all center mass at 10 yards. She didn't mention to me that the recoil was a problem.
The vp9
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
zx10guy5149.50
      02-19-2017, 07:48 PM   #996
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep

The glock
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      02-19-2017, 07:49 PM   #997
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep

I was all over the place with the HK
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2017, 07:49 PM   #998
Axius
Banned
Seychelles
Rep
Drives: 612 Scaglietti

How many yards/feet did they start you at?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2017, 07:52 PM   #999
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axius View Post
How many yards/feet did they start you at?
I do not know. How ever many feet are in the picture. I kept all the targets the same distance
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      02-19-2017, 07:55 PM   #1000
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Some people just are more comfortable with certain guns. I remember when I was taking a intro handgun class. They had us at the range and I was shooting two different 9mm guns. One of them was a Beretta. Don't remember what the other one was. I shot way better with the Beretta.
Appreciate 1
Mr Tonka6058.00
      02-19-2017, 08:07 PM   #1001
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep

People are sick. Only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-19-2017, 08:32 PM   #1002
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Quote:
I posted those videos for you because you'll get lots of opinions from people about things that work for them. The videos are 100% fundamentally sound. Start there.

Top level special forces operators train all the time leaning new technics to deploy in different situations. But on top of that, they practice those fundamentals every time they train. You need to get a reasonable grasp of those first.

Tried to pm you some of that stuff but was full.
Text it to me
Heh, I think you have me confused with someone who has your number.
      02-19-2017, 08:35 PM   #1003
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Some people just are more comfortable with certain guns. I remember when I was taking a intro handgun class. They had us at the range and I was shooting two different 9mm guns. One of them was a Beretta. Don't remember what the other one was. I shot way better with the Beretta.
Very true. Some pistols hit whatever I think of shooting. Others require methodical aiming and slow squeezing of the trigger to be accurate.
zx10guy5149.50
      02-19-2017, 09:33 PM   #1004
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
The glock
It is very hard to tell in the videos, but it almost looked to me at one point that you were anticipating the recoil and snapping it downward a little. Are you?

Not anticipating the recoil is probably the hardest thing to learn IMO, and I struggle with it every time I shoot even though I know I need to correct it. My best groupings / shots are when I just gently keep squeezing till the break point because I'm not anticipating it. If I were ever in a situation though where I was under fire and I actually had a firearm (99.99% unlikely both of those events would coincide in Canada), I wouldn't have that luxury of time though, so I try to practice with a few quick shots as well.

Still, your grouping with the Glock is significantly better than the HK from a lowly Canuck viewpoint and presuming all shots fired were represented on the paper, more than enough to deal with any threat if you were going for center mass. You have to go with what is comfortable for you.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2017, 09:47 PM   #1005
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

YeAh that intention flinch is a bitch.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2017, 10:34 PM   #1006
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Your grip in this picture is incorrect. You are lucky you didn't injure your off hand thumb shooting like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PINeely View Post
Not sure if I'm the only person here who shoots weaver or not. Feels way more natural to me but I'm also cross-dominant so that may have something to do with it.

Sara- find what works for you and stick with it. Doesn't matter how "correct" your stance is if you can't hit what you're aiming at in that position. The more you practice you'll find it.
I can get on board with this sentiment when you're doing something that you've done from child hood like shooting, tennis, golf, baseball, etc... The problem is, those people who are proficient at their sport without "correct" grip, stance, swing, etc... all have the basic fundamentals correct. If you're going to pick up golf as an adult and expect to be proficient in a short amount of time, you need to start off with the basic fundamentals that the experts agree upon. Same goes for tennis, baseball and shooting.

I'm not going to argue with an expert marksman who was taught less than sound shooting techniques by his father starting at age 7. But knowing what we know now, with as many professionals making a living by training people on how to shoot, a sound base of fundamental mechanics is the fastest way for a new shooter to become proficient with a weapon.

The picture above is a perfect example. That grip may feel great to her but using it on a gun with a lower sitting slide could result significant damage to her hand.

Not trying to be right or prove anyone wrong, just makes sense to start with good fundamentals if you're going to learn something new.
      02-19-2017, 10:40 PM   #1007
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Good catch sir, didn't see that but yeah off hand over like that ain't good.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2017, 10:44 PM   #1008
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Good catch sir, didn't see that but yeah off hand over like that ain't good.
I think it was a test to see who wasn't looking at her ass. lol
      02-19-2017, 10:53 PM   #1009
Golddots
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 m3

I imagine it would be easy to pull shots down with the right heel off the floor like that.
Also most people I know shoot a vp9 slightly better than a Glock.
Nothing wrong with the glocks though, especially the gen 4s.
If the target is half way down the range that is about 12 yards ish. Pretty good groups at that distance compared to most shooters at a typical range day.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2017, 11:01 PM   #1010
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C

Quote:
I have a VP9. Its a phenomenal weapon. Took like 5 seconds to get used to. I think you need to work on your grip and stance. Shooting is like boxing. You have to get your stance just right to minimize the recoil effects. Bending yours arms slightly will also help. There are different ways to shoot, but it has to feel natural and fluid (from drawing, to firing, then holstering).

The VP9 is an awesome weapon to practice with. My mother never shot a gun before and she was grouping pretty well after a few tries with the VP9.
      02-19-2017, 11:03 PM   #1011
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C

Quote:
Your grip in this picture is incorrect. You are lucky you didn't injure your off hand thumb shooting like that.

I can get on board with this sentiment when you're doing something that you've done from child hood like shooting, tennis, golf, baseball, etc... The problem is, those people who are proficient at their sport without "correct" grip, stance, swing, etc... all have the basic fundamentals correct. If you're going to pick up golf as an adult and expect to be proficient in a short amount of time, you need to start off with the basic fundamentals that the experts agree upon. Same goes for tennis, baseball and shooting.

I'm not going to argue with an expert marksman who was taught less than sound shooting techniques by his father starting at age 7. But knowing what we know now, with as many professionals making a living by training people on how to shoot, a sound base of fundamental mechanics is the fastest way for a new shooter to become proficient with a weapon.

The picture above is a perfect example. That grip may feel great to her but using it on a gun with a lower sitting slide could result significant damage to her hand.

Not trying to be right or prove anyone wrong, just makes sense to start with good fundamentals if you're going to learn something new.
Agreed. her thumb is placed incorrectly. The easiest thing for her to do is probably just look up videos of proper handgun grip and practice with an empty weapon.
      02-19-2017, 11:14 PM   #1012
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I think it was a test to see who wasn't looking at her ass. lol
No worries didn't look at that image at all. Had to go back and see them after your comment
Appreciate 1