THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum DD or Weekender?

03-14-2019, 09:10 AM   #1
p912guy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i Convertible

Garage List
DD or Weekender?

There have been a few threads recently asking is your 2 Series a DD, or would you commute 100 miles round trip to work everyday in a 2 Series. For most, the answer is it's a great DD and it's a great commuter, but for some their strategy is use a "beater" or some such thing and save the BMW 2 Series as your special "weekend car". I guess that works, but it's not my life. As I think about it, my M235i is my 5 days a week car and then it spends most of the weekend in the garage. I just don't have time to drive for fun on the weekend. Most of my weekends see me in my truck, more often than not running to Lowes or Home Depot for mulch or some such stuff, or loaded up with paper, cardboard and other recyclables headed to the recycling center. If I get some free time on the weekend, which isn't often, I'm still in the truck headed to the sailing club, or my Sunday night hockey game, or maybe tailgating at the football game. I guess I envy those of you who can just jump in their special car and go for a drive down some twisty road. Now that I think about it, I do make the occasional Saturday morning run to Dunkin Donuts in my bimmer, so maybe it is a weekender after all.
17 GMC Canyon Denali Long Bed 4x4 (Tailgatin, Haulin & Towin)
various 'one design' sailboats / stinky hockey gear
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 11:32 AM   #2
gnjlee
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i, Jeep Wrangler JKUR

Quote:
Originally Posted by p912guy View Post
There have been a few threads recently asking is your 2 Series a DD, or would you commute 100 miles round trip to work everyday in a 2 Series. For most, the answer is it's a great DD and it's a great commuter, but for some their strategy is use a "beater" or some such thing and save the BMW 2 Series as your special "weekend car". I guess that works, but it's not my life. As I think about it, my M235i is my 5 days a week car and then it spends most of the weekend in the garage. I just don't have time to drive for fun on the weekend. Most of my weekends see me in my truck, more often than not running to Lowes or Home Depot for mulch or some such stuff, or loaded up with paper, cardboard and other recyclables headed to the recycling center. If I get some free time on the weekend, which isn't often, I'm still in the truck headed to the sailing club, or my Sunday night hockey game, or maybe tailgating at the football game. I guess I envy those of you who can just jump in their special car and go for a drive down some twisty road. Now that I think about it, I do make the occasional Saturday morning run to Dunkin Donuts in my bimmer, so maybe it is a weekender after all.

I just registered an account to respond to your post. I am a lurker normally. I bought a CPO M235i last year, specifically for commuting in as a DD, as I wanted to reduce the mileage I have been putting on my Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. I travel approximately 37 miles each way. I have way more fun driving through the canyons of Northern New Mexico on my way to work as I thought I would.

Having the 235 has made me look forward to the commute each way. Dealing with left lane slugs, and aggressive bro-trucks has become a non issue.

I also have been enjoying the mountain roads on the weekends, and I already need a new set of tires... I also do weekend trips into the desert with my Jeep. Best of both worlds!

In bad weather, I just take the jeep and leave the BMR parked.

Anyway, it is totally worth IMO doing the DD and weekender thing with this car!
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 07:09 PM   #3
mcompact
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

My M235i was my DD until I started my new job; I now take the Clubman because it returns 38-40 mpg, my reserved parking spot is a bit tight, and there's always the risk of the car being vandalized by an unhappy camper.
1999 Wrangler Sahara
1995 318ti Club Sport
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 09:48 PM   #4
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Early on, I DD'd a 12-cylinder Jaguar and later an M635CSi, but once my goal became early retirement I switched to a Nissan Sentra. That worked well and I bagged work at 45. I also walked to and from work for many years, which was by far the best DDing of all.
Appreciate 1
CP911985.50
      03-14-2019, 10:05 PM   #5
micgarci4
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Mine is a weekender purely because NYC transit is my daily.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 10:08 PM   #6
CP911
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M240i 6-speed Coupe

It's all good either way, really. When I lived in Raleigh-Durham, I used to love taking my Subaru and Porsche to the office every day. Made all those sunny days that much more enjoyable and gave me a little extra bit of motivation to get up and keep grinding. A ~20 minute drive each way with ample parking space made for a hassle-free experience.

Not so much these days living in NW Indiana. The weather and road conditions simply make it unenjoyable in a nicer car that I intend to take care of for many years. Even taking the 2er out yesterday for the first time in at least a month was a slightly nerve-racking experience. I thought the roads had been washed clean from a lot of rain that we had recently, but there is still so much gravel on the roads from potholes, salt trucks, etc. that I was cringing every other turn from all the "PING" noises I heard against my car. I don't tailgate, so they were likely all just rocks being picked up by the sticky summer tires, but still...some of those have to be hitting the rocker panels, rear fender, etc. Impossible to ignore it or not change my driving habits to compensate. Many of the potholes will be repaired over the next month and the street sweepers will clean things up a bit, but until then, it's no bueno in these parts. Just wouldn't want to drive my pride and joy all year long around here. Luckily, I just bought a Nissan Armada for that. Not fun to drive, but I can at least relax and enjoy the (boring) ride.

As the engineering cliche goes, "it all depends." I can't wait for life to take me back to North Carolina!
      03-15-2019, 08:19 AM   #7
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by micgarci4 View Post
Mine is a weekender purely because NYC transit is my daily.
Meanwhile, this is the least you should do!
Attached Images

2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0