THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics B58 (M240i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning New BMW ECM software update Mx40i - DOWNTUNE?

01-14-2019, 10:17 AM   #1
jules_78th
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i Cabriolet

New BMW ECM software update Mx40i - DOWNTUNE?

Location Toronto, Canada.

I currently have my 2019 M240i Cab for warranty work at the dealership and the they just gave me a call telling me I need a ECM update. I asked what it entails and they couldn't really tell me so I did some research and the folks in the UK that has received the updates are saying that the update removes the pops and crackle of the exhaust sound and reduced engine noise upshifting?

Link here https://www.facebook.com/DervTech/po...26934600933843

From what I read it looks like this was done for emissions purposes? I'm hoping this is not the same for folks in NA? Anyone have any more info on this.

Car is being serviced right now, should I call in and have them not do the ECM update?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 11:40 AM   #2
marcthedark
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i xdrive Convertible

Think in the UK it was done for emissions due to the fact that they got a particle filter
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 03:21 PM   #3
jules_78th
Private
Rep

Quick update. Picked up the car, Its quieter. I'm going to have to drive it more and give an update.

Revving the engine on sport or sport + on neutral I can hear the pop and crackle, the moment I drive the car (on either sport or sport+) exhaust sound is very very faint. Upshifting or Downshifting on high RPM (4-6k) on sports/sports + sounds like comfort mode (i have playbacks on my dashcam with the engine roaring on high rpm prior to the update, doesnt sound like that anymore but will double check) and minimal exhaust crackling. I gotta play with it some more and give an update. This sucks.

Interested if anyone else that has a 2 series get the ECM update and provide feedback.
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2019, 09:04 AM   #4
Mathew Miles
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i xDrive MWM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jules_78th View Post
Quick update. Picked up the car, Its quieter. I'm going to have to drive it more and give an update.

Revving the engine on sport or sport + on neutral I can hear the pop and crackle, the moment I drive the car (on either sport or sport+) exhaust sound is very very faint. Upshifting or Downshifting on high RPM (4-6k) on sports/sports + sounds like comfort mode (i have playbacks on my dashcam with the engine roaring on high rpm prior to the update, doesnt sound like that anymore but will double check) and minimal exhaust crackling. I gotta play with it some more and give an update. This sucks.

Interested if anyone else that has a 2 series get the ECM update and provide feedback.
Any updates? I need to take my car in for service soon. I really hope this doesn't affect the sound of the exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 11:29 AM   #5
Kobylash
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp 6MT

I wonder if this is actually a detune or possibly a change to the active sound. I've just had the update done as well and haven't noticed any difference but it's winter here so I haven't been driving hard given the conditions.

Looking at that Facebook post it definitely sounds bad but I'd take it with a grain of salt considering it's a business that would profit off of there being a real issue.

Reading over the thread on the update from the other forum it seems there are just as many (if not more) people that report no difference at all, so who knows what the truth is.

Last edited by Kobylash; 01-24-2019 at 11:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 07:58 AM   #6
jules_78th
Private
Rep

From what I noticed I definitely can't get the car to burp and crackle below 2k RPM while driving. It has to be between 2k to 3k rpm on sports or sports+ to make the exhaust make noise. I thought I could do this back then, but can't remember now.

My above feedback on the faint noise stands true when driving hard.

Also my settings were wiped after the update, so keep that in mind. Someone posted the list below, stood true for me.

Comfort access set up for door handle and remote
Comfort access set up to fold mirrors when locking and unfold when unlocking -
Set doors to unlock automatically when engine is turned off
Changed startup animation to M logo instead of Connected Drive 2 - didnt happen to me
Set warning gong sound to i Series
Set car alarm sound to European
Turned off warning popup
Forgot my memory seat - HELLA ANNOYING
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2019, 12:04 AM   #7
Mathew Miles
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i xDrive MWM

My car goes in for service on Wednesday. I will post an update if my car gets the updates.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2019, 10:43 AM   #8
rickd
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

DME Flash and Dinan Stage 1?

Has anyone flashed the DME with a Dinan Stage 1? Wondering if there are any issues.
2017 M240i - BM3 Stage 2+ tune - Millway Camber plates - Dinan Midpipe - Dinan Intake - Wavetrac Diff - Bilstein B16 coilovers - Apex EC8's - Spool Ethanol sensor - TU Pump - Spec Stage 2+ clutch - E30 map - AutoTechnic Carbon fiber Trunk spoiler - RW Carbon diffuser - Front lip spoiler - Mirror caps.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2019, 05:53 PM   #9
ntj
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i xD

hmmm... I just had the update done last week, but due to winter haven't had the car in sport or really revved the engine. I'll need to try this out to see if I notice any difference. I will be very disappointed if the exhaust note has changed.

Sub'd to read about others experiences.
      02-04-2019, 03:03 PM   #10
skeeedunt
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Mine received a "DME update" per recall before I took delivery, which I'm assuming is this. If there is any easy way to verify or if I can answer any questions, I'd be happy to.

Obviously I can't do a before-and-after comparison, but I'll offer some questionably useful observations:

This is my first time with a M240i/B58/M-Performance exhaust - I get plenty of overrun burbles, including at low RPMs, though I get no crackles (I thought there would be more crackles! but again, this could be entirely unrelated).

Again this is apples to oranges, but I found Active Sound to be quieter and less droning than on my M235i. I wondered if this may have been related to going from automatic->manual, but again a lot of factors there.

I can confirm that I did NOT find the following to be true:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jules_78th View Post
Set doors to unlock automatically when engine is turned off
Turned off warning popup
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2019, 06:55 PM   #11
Ron Jeffries
Old Member. Old in general, actually.
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i xDrive convertible

I got the update. My exhaust sound has not changed. It never did pop and burble as nicely as my 135is. I'd code more noise if I could.

It did clear all my special codes and I had to do them over.
Appreciate 1
      02-07-2019, 09:57 AM   #12
DistantTea
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Oops

Is this BMW service bulletin B120119? That was done to my car a week after I bought it (19 M240i) so I didn't get a chance to figure out what it did. It did erase all my idrive settings and such but nobody can give me the contents of that SB to tell me what it did to my car.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 06:13 PM   #13
mblaucoupe135
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

I just had this done on my car and I don't notice any difference in the exhaust sound, but I do have the MPE with Dinan midpipe. I do feel that it has made the car feel smoother and the power come on more consistently, both of which are good things in my mind.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 07:03 PM   #14
BallHog5873
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 997.2 Manual, 2016 328D Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mblaucoupe135 View Post
I just had this done on my car and I don't notice any difference in the exhaust sound, but I do have the MPE with Dinan midpipe. I do feel that it has made the car feel smoother and the power come on more consistently, both of which are good things in my mind.
Has anyone else noticed a difference in performance with this?
I had my yearly service 2 weeks ago and told tech not do update based on what I had heard concerning the exhaust sound. The tech did say he believed it was emissions related.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 08:41 PM   #15
vandridine
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallHog5873 View Post
Has anyone else noticed a difference in performance with this?
I had my yearly service 2 weeks ago and told tech not do update based on what I had heard concerning the exhaust sound. The tech did say he believed it was emissions related.
I am getting the oil changed next week and i am asking them to not update the car. I don't want them messing with anything because if i don't like how the car feels after the update, i assume that they will not rollback the update.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 07:04 PM   #16
MassNerd
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i Coupe RWD

Garage List
I did test drive a M240i M performance edition back in January and it made lots of burbles and pops. However I haven't experience the same sound with my M240i which I picked up this week. I thought maybe it was the performance edition differences, I think it had the M exhaust. Reading this, it makes me wonder if this DME update was applied to my car.
Appreciate 1
      03-03-2019, 05:30 AM   #17
DistantTea
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNerd View Post
I did test drive a M240i M performance edition back in January and it made lots of burbles and pops. However I haven't experience the same sound with my M240i which I picked up this week. I thought maybe it was the performance edition differences, I think it had the M exhaust. Reading this, it makes me wonder if this DME update was applied to my car.
Honestly I've never gotten the burbles and pops in my car. It's one reason I was going to throw the Dinan exhaust and mid pipe on.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2019, 02:38 PM   #18
vandridine
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistantTea View Post
Honestly I've never gotten the burbles and pops in my car. It's one reason I was going to throw the Dinan exhaust and mid pipe on.
I have a 2017 M240 and with the stock exhaust the burbles were easily noticeable, but they were not very loud from inside the cabin. I had to open the windows and turn down the radio to hear them from inside the car. The only time they were loud is if you floored the car and let off the gas over 3k rpm.

After i put on the dinan midpipe and exhaust, the burbles are MUCH louder and you hear them every time you let off the gas no matter where you are in the rev range.

If you can't hear the burbles or pops at all in sport mode with the stock exhaust with the windows down, then BMW changed something over the last 2 years.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2019, 06:25 PM   #19
DistantTea
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandridine View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistantTea View Post
I have a 2017 M240 and with the stock exhaust the burbles were easily noticeable, but they were not very loud from inside the cabin. I had to open the windows and turn down the radio to hear them from inside the car. The only time they were loud is if you floored the car and let off the gas over 3k rpm.

After i put on the dinan midpipe and exhaust, the burbles are MUCH louder and you hear them every time you let off the gas no matter where you are in the rev range.

If you can't hear the burbles or pops at all in sport mode with the stock exhaust with the windows down, then BMW changed something over the last 2 years.
I had a software update done immediately after I bought the car. I often wonder if that quieted down the car. Then I coded out my asm and the car got spooky quiet. I want some note... nothing crazy but still...
Appreciate 0