THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes Bilstein struts

06-29-2021, 12:29 PM   #1
nikijack
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i, Grey, manual

Bilstein struts

Hello: I was sent two front struts, identical, when I should have been sent a left and right. After changing struts on 8 BMWs over the years, I decided to farm the job out, not getting any younger. The mechanic showed me the problem, the sway bar end link on the right side could not be attached. When turning the steering wheel, the thing broke. So, I ordered the UUC adjustable end links, which have 360º adjustability. Maybe they're not suitable for the Great White North. They rattled, made a Hell of a noise, and eventually the threads stripped.
So, I'm running without a right front end link. I got the bright idea of loosening the strut (right) grinding off the locating nipple, turning her 180º, and tightening her up again, and installing an OEM end link. I called the expert at Turner, and he agreed with me. As soon as it cools down a bit, I'll tackle it. Might show pictures. Jack
Appreciate 1
JD11937129.50
      07-01-2021, 01:15 PM   #2
nikijack
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i, Grey, manual

No pictures - self explanatory. I turned the right strut too far yesterday, and could not turn the steering wheel all the way (gently). Today I approximated both sides, left and right, and, success. I now have two front sway bars. Took her for a test drive, all is well.
Appreciate 1
spidy512494.50