THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs) Carpro Uk3.0 or Gyeon Mohs

07-01-2023, 06:50 PM   #1
Game
------
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 (sold)

Carpro Uk3.0 or Gyeon Mohs

Anyone have experience with both coatings and would care to make a recommendation?

Uk3.0 has been around since 2017 so they may be due for a refresh while Gyeon launched their EVO line last year. Mohs has innovative polysilazane technology which we don’t know the long term durability but I assume will be top notch. Uk3.0 has been the benchmark for quartz based coatings. Both great brands.

I’ll be doing the coating myself and it’ll be on my Brooklyn gray G87.
      07-02-2023, 12:50 PM   #2
Nettles
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i

No direct experience, but I'll second your comments on the brands.

I would go with MOHS as I've heard nothing but positive reviews. I just got Pure applied about 2 months ago and it looks great. Carpro has been the standard but I never hear much about Uk 3.0 anymore.
Appreciate 2
Game7408.50
chris7197334.00
      07-02-2023, 08:26 PM   #3
ashmostro
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4cs | 2022 M550i

Of the two, I would use MOHS or Syncro. I've used both Gyeon and Carpro and prefer the performance of Gyeon's products slightly more.

That said, I am now a huge fan of the new product/brand Diamond Protech Body 36. It's the next evolution of coatings, IMHO. I'm switching over to it exclusively after seeing how it performs on my swirl-free Sapphire Black M550i. Similar pricing to the aforementioned products and pretty easy to apply.
Appreciate 1
Game7408.50
      07-03-2023, 02:41 PM   #4
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashmostro View Post
Of the two, I would use MOHS or Syncro. I've used both Gyeon and Carpro and prefer the performance of Gyeon's products slightly more.

That said, I am now a huge fan of the new product/brand Diamond Protech Body 36. It's the next evolution of coatings, IMHO. I'm switching over to it exclusively after seeing how it performs on my swirl-free Sapphire Black M550i. Similar pricing to the aforementioned products and pretty easy to apply.
You tried DB36 on your car? If you don't mind me asking, what do you like about it and is it slick or tacky?

I used Diamond Glass and Diamond Wheels last year and have had mixed results. The Diamond Glass is good; it's still on my windshield after 9 months going strong. The Diamond Wheels on the other hand seems like it sucks. It is very hydrophobic but it's a tacky coating just like their glass coating and it does not resist brake dust at all. I had better results regarding brake dust with just a spray-on sealant like Gyeon Wet Coat.

I'm going to do MOHS Evo this weekend on the paint. I feel like the slicker coatings do a better job with oils and dirt, even if you give up a bit of hydrophobicity for it.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2023, 04:23 PM   #5
kcha
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Can't speak for UK 3.0, but I applied Gyeon Mohs evo right after they released early last year and it was very user friendly to use. I daily drive my F80 in TX and park my car outside at work. Although it's not like the day 1, coating is still working fairly well, but I think I will just remove and reapply it before winter.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2023, 05:39 PM   #6
Nettles
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcha View Post
Can't speak for UK 3.0, but I applied Gyeon Mohs evo right after they released early last year and it was very user friendly to use. I daily drive my F80 in TX and park my car outside at work. Although it's not like the day 1, coating is still working fairly well, but I think I will just remove and reapply it before winter.
Curious are you using toppers and maintaining regularly or just going with the flow in that regards?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2023, 06:10 PM   #7
ashmostro
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
You tried DB36 on your car? If you don't mind me asking, what do you like about it and is it slick or tacky?

I used Diamond Glass and Diamond Wheels last year and have had mixed results. The Diamond Glass is good; it's still on my windshield after 9 months going strong. The Diamond Wheels on the other hand seems like it sucks. It is very hydrophobic but it's a tacky coating just like their glass coating and it does not resist brake dust at all. I had better results regarding brake dust with just a spray-on sealant like Gyeon Wet Coat.

I'm going to do MOHS Evo this weekend on the paint. I feel like the slicker coatings do a better job with oils and dirt, even if you give up a bit of hydrophobicity for it.
See pics below from just now after a light rain. Crazy hydrophobicity, suuuuper slick to the touch, and self cleaning from just rain - I have yet to actually wash the car and it looks pretty clean despite multiple drives in rain and dirty environments.

I used Wheels on my new Vossens, and did not experience any of the tackiness you describe - they feel really slick too. Perhaps you had a bad batch??
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
chris7197334.00
      07-04-2023, 11:06 PM   #8
kcha
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nettles View Post
Curious are you using toppers and maintaining regularly or just going with the flow in that regards?
I normally use gyeon ceramic detail spray as drying agent and perform maintenance wash biweekly even if there's no rain for two weeks.
I recently used re-start wash and wet coat and still it's not like day 1 although I can see some improvement.

I have same coating on my other car and we daily drive it, but her office has covered garage so it doesn't normally exposed to Texas heat/sun so looks like the condition of coating is much better than my car.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2023, 12:27 AM   #9
Game
------
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcha View Post
I normally use gyeon ceramic detail spray as drying agent and perform maintenance wash biweekly even if there's no rain for two weeks.
I recently used re-start wash and wet coat and still it's not like day 1 although I can see some improvement.

I have same coating on my other car and we daily drive it, but her office has covered garage so it doesn't normally exposed to Texas heat/sun so looks like the condition of coating is much better than my car.
That’s sort of my concern with Mohs. Being as it’s not a silica based coating like everything out there, the long term durability is still in the air. Maybe I’ll look more into Pure or Syncro..
      07-06-2023, 04:35 PM   #10
ashmostro
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Synchro is Mohs with a topper
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2023, 08:21 PM   #11
NoMods
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5

Garage List
2022 M5  [10.00]
MOHS Evo fan here, Gyeon in general has a nice and diverse line of products for everything. I would avoid ordering from Gyeon USA directly, their CS is non-existent, and they don't answer messages over email, phone or social media if you have problems. I just order from Esoteric Car Care.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Game7408.50
      07-06-2023, 10:20 PM   #12
Game
------
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by armoredsaint View Post
MOHS Evo fan here, Gyeon in general has a nice and diverse line of products for everything. I would avoid ordering from Gyeon USA directly, their CS is non-existent, and they don't answer messages over email, phone or social media if you have problems. I just order from Esoteric Car Care.
I’ve chatted with their IG account a few times and they’ve been helpful and friendly. Though i don’t shop on their US site either since I don’t see any deals…even their kits aren’t priced appropriately. Car supplies warehouse is go to and local.
      07-06-2023, 10:24 PM   #13
NoMods
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Game View Post
I’ve chatted with their IG account a few times and they’ve been helpful and friendly. Though i don’t shop on their US site either since I don’t see any deals…even their kits aren’t priced appropriately. Car supplies warehouse is go to and local.
interesting, i haven't tried the IG chat, since Carpro is local I would go with them, tech advice and good CS are just as important as the product. can't go wrong with either unless it's Chemical Guys lol
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2023, 10:34 PM   #14
Game
------
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by armoredsaint View Post
interesting, i haven't tried the IG chat, since Carpro is local I would go with them, tech advice and good CS are just as important as the product. can't go wrong with either unless it's Chemical Guys lol
CarSuppliesWarehouse is local to me and they carry both Gyeon and CarPro. They definitely don’t carry chemical guys

I plan on coating my car with Mohs tomorrow!
      07-07-2023, 08:51 AM   #15
NoMods
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 M5  [10.00]
it seems like the only Gyeon product that is sub-par is their View and the Glass+, terrible and especially the Glass+ it leaves a residue no matter how I try to remove it.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2023, 12:38 PM   #16
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

I used Mohs Evo on my new wheels. These things get covered in brake dust, melted brake pads, tire rubber and all sorts of stuff from track use. I had brake fluid leak on them too. I'm amazed how good it is holding up after 4 track days. I mostly just wash it with regular car wash shampoo and all the gunk falls off. The coating is still going strong despite the abuse it goes through. I believe one of the positives with Mohs not being SiO2 based is that it can hold up to extreme heat much better. That makes it durable to use on wheels which get super hot on track.

I am using Can Coat Evo on the paint as it is easier to apply and lower cost. I can do 5-6 cars with 1 year durability with a bottle of Can Coat. Given my positive experience with Mohs Evo, I may switch to Mohs Evo on paint as well.
      07-10-2023, 09:34 AM   #17
Game
------
No_Country
Rep

Got Mohs on my car yesterday. Way more time consuming than I thought but the car looks great and its extremely slick. Pics to come.
      07-14-2023, 01:58 PM   #18
Game
------
No_Country
Rep

Gyeon Mohs
Attached Images