THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Another snow tire thread

11-29-2018, 05:14 PM   #1
hwntime
Captain
Rep
Drives: F22 Raptor

Another snow tire thread

I'm in Portland, Oregon where we get a few days of snow each year. The past few years have been unusual where we'd get snow for a week and it would stick to the ground and become icy leaving me pretty much stranded at home. This year I'm thinking about getting dedicated winter tires but as mentioned, it seldomly snows so I don't want to spend a lot on winter tires. Has anyone used Falken ESPIA EPZ II tires? They are relatively inexpensive ($107) in a 225/40/18 which will mount on my unused OEM staggered 18" wheels. I'm currently on Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ on 18x8's so would the difference in snow handling be significant? I'm assuming it would be but would like to hear from people with experience.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2018, 05:26 PM   #2
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwntime View Post
I'm in Portland, Oregon where we get a few days of snow each year. The past few years have been unusual where we'd get snow for a week and it would stick to the ground and become icy leaving me pretty much stranded at home. This year I'm thinking about getting dedicated winter tires but as mentioned, it seldomly snows so I don't want to spend a lot on winter tires. Has anyone used Falken ESPIA EPZ II tires? They are relatively inexpensive ($107) in a 225/40/18 which will mount on my unused OEM staggered 18" wheels. I'm currently on Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ on 18x8's so would the difference in snow handling be significant? I'm assuming it would be but would like to hear from people with experience.
https://www.1010tires.com/tires/revi...lken/espia+epz

Not encouraging. I guess you get what you pay for. Of all possible things on which to save, my belief has always been that tires are the last resort, being the only physical contact the entire car has with the outside world. All it takes it one surprise event on snow/ice to make it worthwhile to avoid property damage and/or personal injury.

I suggest skipping a few nights out and choosing from among these:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireS...earDiameter=17
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2018, 05:41 PM   #3
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
I can't comment on the Falkens as I've never used them.

My personal experience has been with Nokian Hakkapeliitta, Michelin X-Ice, and Bridgestone Blizzak WS series winter tires, and they have all outperformed high-end A/S tires by a wide margin on the snow and ice. Even if the Falkens aren't up to the standards of those higher-end winter tires, my guess is that they'll be worth it to you in terms of accelerating from a stop and coming to a stop on snow or ice.

If you were to upgrade price-wise, my experience tells me that the B'stone Blizzak WS80 would work very well in the conditions you'll have in Portland. I think the TR comparison test results bear this out. Again, I don't know how the Falkens compare, but they're likely to give you a leg up on the A/S'.

Tire Rack and Car and Driver have tested winter tires at dedicated winter testing facilities in Northern Sweden and Finland, and each reports a significant improvement over quality A/S tires when running winter tires. The last C&D report can be read here: https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...mpared-feature, and the last TR report is here: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=193. (Apologies if you've already read all of this. :-)

I had all this stuff at hand as I just an hour ago ordered a set of Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3s for the wife's Mazda 3 from Amazon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
I guess you get what you pay for. Of all possible things on which to save, my belief has always been that tires are the last resort, being the only physical contact the entire car has with the outside world. All it takes it one surprise event on snow/ice to make it worthwhile to avoid property damage and/or personal injury.
I agree wholeheartedly, and that's why I got the best I could for the wife's MZ3. As for me, I'm rolling on Michelin X-Ice Xi3 in 225/45-17 that I bought mounted on BBS SRs from member Racer20.

Last edited by dradernh; 11-29-2018 at 05:46 PM..
Appreciate 1
overcoil3073.50
      11-29-2018, 05:46 PM   #4
hwntime
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
I can't comment on the Falkens as I've never used them.

My personal experience has been with Nokian Hakkapeliitta, Michelin X-Ice, and Bridgestone Blizzak WS series winter tires, and they have all outperformed high-end A/S tires by a wide margin on the snow and ice. Even if the Falkens aren't up to the standards of those higher-end winter tires, my guess is that they'll be worth it to you in terms of accelerating from a stop and coming to a stop on snow or ice.

If you were to upgrade price-wise, my experience tells me that the B'stone Blizzak WS80 would work very well in the conditions you'll have in Portland. I think the TR comparison test results bear this out. Again, I don't know how the Falkens compare, but they're likely to give you a leg up on the A/S'.

Tire Rack and Car and Driver have tested winter tires at dedicated winter testing facilities in Northern Sweden and Finland, and each reports a significant improvement over quality A/S tires when running winter tires. The last C&D report can be read here: https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...mpared-feature, and the last TR report is here: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=193. (Apologies if you've already read all of this. :-)

I had all this stuff at hand as I just an hour ago ordered a set of Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3s for the wife's Mazda 3 from Amazon.
Yeah, my reasoning behind the cheaper Falken's is because of the fact that we seldom see snow. I don't want to fork out $800+ for something that will get used maybe a few days per year. Last year I was stuck at home for a week and it was that situation that led me to tire shop for something better than my summer UHP's and my A/S UHP's just to get me to the store and back for groceries. It's either a cheaper set like the Falken's or a set of those tire sock thingamajigs, but I don't want to spend $800+.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2018, 05:51 PM   #5
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, my reasoning behind the cheaper Falken's is because of the fact that we seldom see snow. I don't want to fork out $800+ for something that will get used maybe a few days per year. Last year I was stuck at home for a week and it was that situation that led me to tire shop for something better than my summer UHP's and my A/S UHP's just to get me to the store and back for groceries. It's either a cheaper set like the Falken's or a set of those tire sock thingamajigs, but I don't want to spend $800+.
I get it. Get the tires, not the socks. If you have a horrible winter and for some reason decide the Falkens weren't up to snuff, you can always revisit the issue.

I started looking for used, mounted snow tires the day I bought my car. Like you, I won't be driving much in the snow and/or ice, but we do need a tire with some decent grip if the temps drop below +30 or so. To my way of thinking, the average A/S tire is barely adequate in those conditions, even in the dry. I was fortunate to find a set of Michelin X-Ice Xi3s from another forum member for $750. They came mounted and balanced, with TPMS, they were the right size, and they came on high-quality wheels. So that's another way to go if you find it necessary, and you can find what you're looking for.
Appreciate 1
hwntime270.00
      11-29-2018, 05:59 PM   #6
hwntime
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
I get it. Get the tires, not the socks. If you have a horrible winter and for some reason decide the Falkens weren't up to snuff, you can always revisit the issue.

I started looking for used, mounted snow tires the day I bought my car. Like you, I won't be driving much in the snow and/or ice, but we do need a tire with some decent grip if the temps drop below +30 or so. To my way of thinking, the average A/S tire is barely adequate in those conditions, even in the dry. I was fortunate to find a set of Michelin X-Ice Xi3s from another forum member for $750. They came mounted and balanced, with TPMS, they were the right size, and they came on high-quality wheels. So that's another way to go if you find it necessary, and you can find what you're looking for.
There are members here selling decent winter tire/wheel set ups for pretty cheap but they're all on the east. The winters here on the west coast are mild in comparison so those used sets are hard to come by. I most likely will try the Falken's for mid Dec through Feb.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2018, 06:03 PM   #7
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
There are members here selling decent winter tire/wheel set ups for pretty cheap but they're all on the east. The winters here on the west coast are mild in comparison so those used sets are hard to come by. I most likely will try the Falken's for mid Dec through Feb.
If you would, after this winter ends please update this post with your experience of the Falkens. That will help other owners in similar situations.

Also, and while I haven't used them, even for a quick quote, I believe Shipnex offers discounted UPS and FedEx rates, which might make an East Coast-to-West Coast (or vice-versa) shipment more doable. This is their home page: https://www.shipnex.com/

FWIW, the current set listed at the top of the wheel and tire section are located in NE Ohio, which would drop the price a bit compared to the East Coast. Plus, the price is likely negotiable. https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1552769

Last edited by dradernh; 11-29-2018 at 06:09 PM..
Appreciate 1
hwntime270.00
      11-30-2018, 03:14 PM   #8
Shovelman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 230i

"will get used maybe a few days per year"

Not sure how you figure this. Will you put them on the car only on snow days?

If you put them on for the season you will be using them on dry or wet pavement for many days. Cheap snows will likely let you down on those days.

I'm with Sportstick, don't save money on tires.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 03:37 PM   #9
hwntime
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shovelman View Post
"will get used maybe a few days per year"

Not sure how you figure this. Will you put them on the car only on snow days?

If you put them on for the season you will be using them on dry or wet pavement for many days. Cheap snows will likely let you down on those days.

I'm with Sportstick, don't save money on tires.
That is my thinking, to put the winter wheel/tire set up on when snow is in the forecast. They're pretty good at predicting snowfall in Portland. As mentioned, we rarely get snow in the city and it's maybe a few days per year. Some years it doesn't snow at all. So, it would be nice to have something on-hand if need be.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 05:03 PM   #10
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
That is my thinking, to put the winter wheel/tire set up on when snow is in the forecast. They're pretty good at predicting snowfall in Portland. As mentioned, we rarely get snow in the city and it's maybe a few days per year. Some years it doesn't snow at all. So, it would be nice to have something on-hand if need be.
I think I would get the Falken’s the tread pattern looks pretty nice
Appreciate 1
hwntime270.00