THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Inconsistent Power - stock?

06-17-2016, 10:45 AM   #1
griz31
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 330xi

Inconsistent Power - stock?

Hey Everyone,

Have had my 2016 BSM M235i for a little under a month now (~approaching 1200 miles).

I have mostly followed the break-in process, with a couple spirited drives along the way. I would say even for the most part when I get on it, I shift before the 4500 mark.

Anyways, I have noticed the stock power (in sport mode) seems to be a bit inconsistent. Sometimes I'll get on it and it's like a rocket ship. Other times it just seems like it just doesn't have the same power. In searching the threads I did read up on resetting throttle response and have performed that. It seemed to help for that drive, but the inconsistencies seemed to return.

This is pretty subjective and could very well just be my butt dyno messing with me, but just curious if anyone has experienced what feels like inconsistent power in the stock m235i? Is this something thats maybe common in the first few 1000 miles?

**I also posted this in the 2addicts maintenance section. Im not sure if its frowned upon to double post in different sections, but I figured the general section gets more views. Let me know if I should delete.**

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2016, 01:19 PM   #2
Beartato
Major
Rep
Drives: M235i

I've kinda noticed the same thing, but I always chalk it up to it being a turbo, and even though it's a twin scroll turbo if you don't shift properly the turbo has to play catch up. It's hard to keep your spool consistent at that low RPM.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2016, 01:46 PM   #3
JChristie
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Probably obvious but do you have traction control off? It’s pretty aggressive at cutting power if it detects even the slightest wheel spin.
Appreciate 1
MassNerd173.00
      06-17-2016, 02:28 PM   #4
griz31
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChristie View Post
Probably obvious but do you have traction control off? It’s pretty aggressive at cutting power if it detects even the slightest wheel spin.
That did come up in searching the "problem", but this seems to happen in both cases (traction control on and off). It doesn't seem to be a traction problem as in the scenerios I'm referencing, tires weren't slipping. Admittedly, I havent spent too much time driving with TC off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beartato View Post
I've kinda noticed the same thing, but I always chalk it up to it being a turbo, and even though it's a twin scroll turbo if you don't shift properly the turbo has to play catch up. It's hard to keep your spool consistent at that low RPM.
This seems to maybe be more accurate to what I am feeling. Like sometimes it feels like there is so much turbo lag the car wont move, whereas other times the car just launches. The inconsistency is a bit annoying, like am I gonna drive the 235i today or the prius.

Any other experiences/thoughts on what to do?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2016, 02:31 PM   #5
BMW335iOn18s
Resident BMW Fanboy
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 CS SMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by griz31
Quote:
Originally Posted by JChristie View Post
That did come up in searching the "problem", but this seems to happen in both cases (traction control on and off). It doesn't seem to be a traction problem as in the scenerios I'm referencing, tires weren't slipping. Admittedly, I havent spent too much time driving with TC off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beartato View Post
This seems to maybe be more accurate to what I am feeling. Like sometimes it feels like there is so much turbo lag the car wont move, whereas other times the car just launches. The inconsistency is a bit annoying, like am I gonna drive the 235i today or the prius.

Any other experiences/thoughts on what to do?
The car will feel like this when the A/C is on or its heat soaked (we have tiny intercoolers). You notice it even more with the manual. It's just the nature of turbo cars..... my old VW 2.0T was the same.
      06-17-2016, 02:37 PM   #6
Tpeterson
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228i MSport/THP/MT/

Quote:
Originally Posted by griz31 View Post
Hey Everyone,

Have had my 2016 BSM M235i for a little under a month now (~approaching 1200 miles).

Anyways, I have noticed the stock power (in sport mode) seems to be a bit inconsistent. Sometimes I'll get on it and it's like a rocket ship. Other times it just seems like it just doesn't have the same power. In searching the threads I did read up on resetting throttle response and have performed that. It seemed to help for that drive, but the inconsistencies seemed to return.

This is pretty subjective and could very well just be my butt dyno messing with me, but just curious if anyone has experienced what feels like inconsistent power in the stock m235i? Is this something thats maybe common in the first few 1000 miles?

Thanks!
Have you factored in the ambient temperature differences -morning cool, afternoon hot-when noticing the power change? This time of year under hood temps are noticeably higher in the heat of the day which heats up intake air even with an intercooler.(heat soak)
JChristie makes a good point about traction control.It won't allow a hard launch in any weather. I use Sport+ with DTC enabled in hot weather.(and most other times!)
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2016, 02:53 PM   #7
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Put the car in Sport+ otherwise the traction control will greatly neuter power at any hint of wheel spin. My car feels like it has no boost in 1st when in Comfort or Sport because the system picks up spin before I can even detect it. In Sport+, I can often get wheel spin dipping hard into throttle at 30mph in 2nd, even in hot weather.

Also, in temps above 75 and/or high humidity, the turbo lag becomes more significant due to the reduced oxygen in the air. Power is reduced a bit too.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2016, 05:49 PM   #8
griz31
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks for all the replies everyone. Glad it isn't just me who notices it. I'll be sure to drive in Sport+ with no AC and blow under the hood at red lights

Thanks all
Appreciate 1
      06-17-2016, 06:37 PM   #9
amw896
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M235i

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [10.00]
the car also learns your driving style as well so maybe that has an effect. When I notice mine starts running sluggish I'll hold the traction button for 5sec to fully disable all assists. It might just be me but the car seems to almost reset when I do that.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2016, 09:09 PM   #10
griz31
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by amw896 View Post
the car also learns your driving style as well so maybe that has an effect. When I notice mine starts running sluggish I'll hold the traction button for 5sec to fully disable all assists. It might just be me but the car seems to almost reset when I do that.
Not really sure what you mean? Doesn't holding the traction button just turn off traction control?

I've done the throttle response reset a couple of times though. (Turn on, hold pedal down, turn off, start engine)
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2016, 09:16 PM   #11
amw896
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M235i

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by griz31
Quote:
Not really sure what you mean? Doesn't holding the traction button just turn off traction control?

I've done the throttle response reset a couple of times though. (Turn on, hold pedal down, turn off, start engine)
I believe it turns off dtc and DSC. I find this mode to be the most neutral and consistent of all of them. I don't know, I find when I drove in sport + or comfort consistently for too long it's almost like the car adapts too much and starts getting lazy. Ill take a trip with all the nannies off and then go back and it feels like it did day 1 lol....probably all in my head
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2016, 10:20 PM   #12
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
I believe it turns off dtc and DSC. I find this mode to be the most neutral and consistent of all of them. I don't know, I find when I drove in sport + or comfort consistently for too long it's almost like the car adapts too much and starts getting lazy. Ill take a trip with all the nannies off and then go back and it feels like it did day 1 lol....probably all in my head
one touch turns DTC ON which allows a bit more wheel spin that DSC ON
hold 5 secs... DSC OFF traction control is off and only thing active is the eDiff which will brake individual wheel if it's spinning freely or much faster than the other wheel to send some torque to the opposite wheel

Sport+ is just Sport but with DTC ON.... as you can't be in Sport and also hit DTC button as it will take you out of Sport and just leave you in DTC ON mode...

So believe it or not the car has 6 different modes. ECO - COMFORT - SPORT - SPORT+ - DTC ON - DSC OFF

DSC OFF also has same throttle response as COMFORT... so that can explain why when you go from DSC OFF to SPORT if feels more lively as throttle response in SPORT is increased

Last edited by pikcachu; 06-17-2016 at 11:28 PM..
Appreciate 8
      06-19-2016, 08:26 PM   #13
qnet
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 Jeep Wrangler, 18 M2 LBB

I noticed this a little during the break-in period. I mentioned this in another thread, and no one seemed to experience the same thing, but it felt like my car ran better after the break-in period. After the break-in period, my car seemed to have more pep and throttle response, even in comfort-mode. It even sounded more aggressive.

I was thinking this was BMW's way of protecting the car during break-in, having something in the ECU that doesn't let the car run quite as aggressive. Of course I have no proof of this, and it could be all in my head. It really did seem like the car ran better after break-in however.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2016, 10:53 PM   #14
Deutsche-Broke
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Noticed the same thing.. Hit Sport and + mode and drove for a few days letting it, "get spirited".. No difference.. But still breaking it in..
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2016, 11:19 PM   #15
griz31
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by qnet View Post
I noticed this a little during the break-in period. I mentioned this in another thread, and no one seemed to experience the same thing, but it felt like my car ran better after the break-in period. After the break-in period, my car seemed to have more pep and throttle response, even in comfort-mode. It even sounded more aggressive.

I was thinking this was BMW's way of protecting the car during break-in, having something in the ECU that doesn't let the car run quite as aggressive. Of course I have no proof of this, and it could be all in my head. It really did seem like the car ran better after break-in however.
Just passed the break in period so maybe it will be more consistent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deutsche-Broke View Post
Noticed the same thing.. Hit Sport and + mode and drove for a few days letting it, "get spirited".. No difference.. But still breaking it in..
Ya it just felt like somedays it would really take off and other days it wouldnt. I think what everyone said above is the likely culprit
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2016, 01:11 AM   #16
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT Mineral White M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by qnet

Others have noted this before as well. I've noticed that there are days that my car seems to want to lay down the power and others where I feel like even flooring it doesn't give me peak output. :/ I haven't been able to find a pattern yet. Some days are just better than others.

6MT Mineral White on black M235i coupe
Build thread
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2016, 02:05 AM   #17
Nahlem
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: None atm

Agree on this one too when i had the 235i i noticed it also, Some days the power was there at my command just waiting to be unleashed like a beast but the next day it was like "Don't wake me up i am not in the mood" type of feeling when driving the car i have no idea why it was like that but i am glad i am not the only one who felt this then i know i am not crazy

Former Car:BMW i4 M50 Brooklyn Grey (MY22)| BMW i3s BEV (MY19)|Former Car: BMW X1 20d x-drive (MY16)|BMW m235i (MY14)|Former Car: BMW 120d (MY12)|Former Car: Volvo C30 T5 R-Design (MY08)|Former Car: Volvo C70 T5 (MY06)|Former Car: Volvo S40 2.0T(MY1999)
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2016, 09:52 AM   #18
djarchow
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 ZCP

You also have to consider engine temps (much harder with our cars unless you use Torque or another app on your phone to see it).

I am still in my break-in period so not getting on mine too hard yet, but my 335is was pretty aggressive at reducing power output until the engine was fully warmed up. On the flip side, if it was getting too warm it reduced power too. At least my 335is had a temperature gauge so I knew when it was happening.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2016, 10:05 AM   #19
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by djarchow
You also have to consider engine temps (much harder with our cars unless you use Torque or another app on your phone to see it).

I am still in my break-in period so not getting on mine too hard yet, but my 335is was pretty aggressive at reducing power output until the engine was fully warmed up. On the flip side, if it was getting too warm it reduced power too. At least my 335is had a temperature gauge so I knew when it was happening.
Hmm, interesting. I use torque and typically don't get on it until oil temps get to 200°. Hadn't considered temps being too high though, so I'll keep an eye on that.

Build thread
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2016, 10:07 AM   #20
griz31
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I'm glad its not just me experiencing this. It sounds like it's not a serious issue of any sort, more just a function of the car. While annoying, im not sure there's anyway around it. With this information ill hopefully be able get a little more consistent. I'll also be able to test better now that im past break in
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2016, 11:49 AM   #21
Madmatt
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alden_88M View Post
Agree on this one too when i had the 235i i noticed it also, Some days the power was there at my command just waiting to be unleashed like a beast but the next day it was like "Don't wake me up i am not in the mood" type of feeling when driving the car i have no idea why it was like that but i am glad i am not the only one who felt this then i know i am not crazy
Would you notice this all on same tank of gas? Wondering if differences in gas (octane and quality) from one tank to another could account for maybe some of that? But if you saw it with same tank of gas that theory is shot..

Madmatt
      06-20-2016, 12:18 PM   #22
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Same tank for me.

Build thread
Appreciate 0