THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum 2019 M240i Drivers mirror adjustment dead

09-30-2023, 08:57 PM   #1
j-mo
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i

2019 M240i Drivers mirror adjustment dead

Greetings,

I posted about 6 weeks ago about the 2019 M240i I picked up used. I got it from Carmax and there were some issues after I bought it. All have been addressed by the Carmax 90 day post purchase warranty. The replaced the windshield, a parking sensor, rear brakes.

One of the repairs that might be the root of my current issue was fixing the drivers side mirror turn signal LED. It was not working after purchase and Carmax sent the car to the BMW dealer. They fixed it, all good. At that time I'd had the car 2 weeks and had gone through car washes several times. After this repair the drivers side mirror cap came off at my next car wash. I put it back on but one the outer tabs was broken so it wasn't seating completely.

I then had to take the car back to the dealer because when Carmax replaced the windshield they basically ignored the rain sensor. The gel pack had to be replaced and it needed recalibration. At the time I assumed the dealer broke my mirror cap when they fixed the signal. I told the service advisor who took time to gently bend the remaining tab and reinstall it several times and got it to seat correctly. I was happy but I had already ordered replacement OEM style mirror caps as my car had the pointy M2 style ones.

So I got the new caps this week and today I go to install. I have my plastic pry tools and I go to adjust the mirror glass all the way up so I can get the pry tool under to pop off the mirror glass. The mirror adjustments are not working. The passenger side works fine. The mirror retraction works for both side mirrors, windows are good. It is just the drivers mirror glass adjustment.

I now have a theory that maybe the dealer never broke my mirror cap but they clearly didn't install correctly and it then came off in the car wash. So then maybe some electronics in there got wet and now it is fried or whatever. It definitely was working when I bought the car.

Sooo, I have the warranty still and plan to call them but I thought I'd try to get some input on what could have happened or what could be fried? I can bring the car in for no charge repair but I'd love to not have to blow day doing that. I wanted to take the glass off to install the new mirror cap but since I cannot adjust it up to pry it, it might be tricky to get the glass off. Do you think I can still get it off? I pushed on the glass but it doesn't really move and I do not want to force it. Maybe I can check and/or reseat the connection to see if that gets it working. I did not check the fuse since the passengers side works.

Sorry for the long post and thanks a ton for reading or any input!
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2023, 01:46 PM   #2
j-mo
Rep

Update. I get in the car today to go meet a friend, viola....drivers mirror adjustment works. We have 2 hours and I get back in the car and now it's not working. So it can work. Makes me think something is loose. Does anyone know of the motor electrical connection is within the mirror or behind the door panel?

thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2023, 03:29 PM   #3
Kernel Kurtz
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M240i xDrive

You can remove the mirror caps without removing the glass. That is how I did mine as breaking the glass would be much more of an inconvenience than breaking the cap.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2023, 09:55 PM   #4
Nickies
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M240I

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-mo View Post
Update. I get in the car today to go meet a friend, viola....drivers mirror adjustment works. We have 2 hours and I get back in the car and now it's not working. So it can work. Makes me think something is loose. Does anyone know of the motor electrical connection is within the mirror or behind the door panel?

thanks!
Are you able to power fold the mirrors?
2019 M240i, Melbourne Red, Black Interior. 3M Tint, Premium Package, Harman Kardon, Adaptive LED Head Lights, M Performance Exhaust and Diffuser, Chrome Exhaust Tips, 719M Bi Color Wheels, Black Kidney Grille, Burger Tuning JB+.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2023, 11:21 PM   #5
j-mo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickies View Post
Are you able to power fold the mirrors?
Yes I am. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2023, 10:29 AM   #6
j-mo
Rep

So I ended up taking it to BMW under my Carmax warranty and they replaced the mirror adjustment motor. All good now.
Appreciate 0