THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Dr. Strangelove, or How I Learned to Stop Worrying & Live w the Harmon Kardon System

07-25-2022, 09:51 PM   #947
ronroberto
Rep
Drives: 17 M240i

First let me say I have significant hearing loss in my left ear, and some days are better/worse than others.

I was comparing it to the setup I have in my f30 328ix (ex-hifi):
Bavsound speakers F/R, center-delete, asd-delete harness, all 4 doors dynamat, same SWS subs and a JL Audio XD600/6v2, never felt the need to tune it, always sounded great to me.
Coming from that the HK in my 240i was a HUGE disappointment, and to think I was excited for it?

Before tune I was using the 'limo' profile. but now with the mic I reset to defaults. Tuning it with the UMM-6 made the biggest difference (besides the amp). Now the bass tightened, hits harder and cleaned up lower. Fixing the delay/timing also made a huge difference, the stage is now in front, before it was behind me.
I'm benchmarking it against my other car, and now they sound similar(good), but now the extra power from the match up 7 to the SWS makes a big difference. Also before the eton's tweeter was weak, like it wasn't aimed correctly compared to the bavsound, but since adjusting the timing the stage is now in front, and the tweeters are delivering vocals at me where before it sounded like they weren't facing me.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2022, 10:32 PM   #948
ashmostro
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4cs | 2022 M550i

Nice!! Didn’t appear to be anything you dislike or want to change, from what you wrote.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2023, 01:46 AM   #949
pbedrosi
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E91

Any hope of applying the updates mentioned to Hi-Fi system? I bought the HK sail panel + Tweeter, planning to update the door speaker to have a second port to connect to the tweeter. With JL or Eaton, are you disconnecting the sail panel tweeter?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2023, 03:04 AM   #950
Nathank234
Rep
Drives: m2

hey guys, i just want to add another option/solution for our car audio. Please check out the Alpine S2-S40c speakers. They have just been recently added to the line up. Alpine have upgraded them to HI-RES audio and to also come with seperate tweeters. They also have 5 mounting tabs which can be breakable and match the OEM speakers we have

How do i know all this? i went Coaxial in the rear and Component in the front in this exact speaker model. You can literally get all four speakers for cheaper than what most pair of front speakers go for.

Verdict? Significantly better than the OEM Harmon Kardon speakers. Worth all the low price i paid.

This is the link of the speakers. Bare in mind this is an Australian website so please do your currency conversion
https://www.alpine.com.au/shop/speak...akers/s2-s40c/

for the budget upgrader this is a no brainer. Direct bolt-up and all is needed is a BMW Pigtail Harness.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2023, 08:47 AM   #951
vrooooom
New BMW owner
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 LCI

Nice! Did you do the rear as well using this?

No photos of the install?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2023, 02:00 AM   #952
Nathank234
Rep

unfortunately no photos of the install. i did the rear as well in the coaxial version of this speaker. technically install for the rear is identical to the JL however the tabs for the Alpine fit directly
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2023, 09:13 PM   #953
vrooooom
New BMW owner
Philippines
Rep

https://www.alpine.com.au/shop/speak...-series/s-s40/

Noticeable improvement? I've kept my rear stocks.
2018 BMW M2 LCI BM3 Stage 2 + MPE + FTP charge pipe + MST V2 Inlet + TurboSmart DV + CSF FMIC + AA Hi-flow Downpipe + Turner Rear Shifter Bushing + Wiechers Strut Brace + Bilstein B16 PSS10 + Apex VS-5RS
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2023, 12:46 AM   #954
Nathank234
Rep

the link you posted is for the Gen 1 speakers. the S2-40 is the one you need. the rears felt like it added more low-midbass but other then that it is not as significant of an upgrade compared to the front.
Appreciate 1
vrooooom317.50
      08-14-2023, 01:46 AM   #955
vrooooom
New BMW owner
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrooooom View Post
https://www.alpine.com.au/shop/speak...-series/s-s40/

Noticeable improvement? I've kept my rear stocks.
update:
https://www.alpine.com.au/shop/speak...eakers/s2-s40/
2018 BMW M2 LCI BM3 Stage 2 + MPE + FTP charge pipe + MST V2 Inlet + TurboSmart DV + CSF FMIC + AA Hi-flow Downpipe + Turner Rear Shifter Bushing + Wiechers Strut Brace + Bilstein B16 PSS10 + Apex VS-5RS
Appreciate 0