THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes Eibach sway bars for 228 and upgrade advice

09-15-2016, 10:39 PM   #1
JoeyF228
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

Eibach sway bars for 228 and upgrade advice

I've got a M Sport 228, downpipe and JB4 pretty much only mods so far. Eibach sways are a lot cheaper than the H&R, i can't remember if front or rear requires the extreme amount of labor but i'll probably be doing some other stuff at the same time.

http://performance-suspension-eibach...ay-bar-only-84

Thoughts on Bilstein B14, M4 LCA's, and eibach rear sway bar?

Also thought about doing either Bilstein or Koni shocks with Eibach springs and the rear sway. What worries me is the springs lower the car more up front and the LCA's would be even more drop and i don't want a bunch of rake. Coilovers fix that but at the expense of ride quality in my previous experience.

M Performance suspension is also an option, i really don't want to run coilovers but seems like you need to be able to adjust ride height to compensate for the M4 LCA's. Am i overthinking this?

PS don't want aftermarket camber plates unless somebody has some that aren't noisy and ride smooth.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2016, 04:06 AM   #2
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Fit M4 TS with LCAs - reduces lowering impact of LCAs alone.

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2016, 11:38 AM   #3
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyF228 View Post
I've got a M Sport 228, downpipe and JB4 pretty much only mods so far. Eibach sways are a lot cheaper than the H&R, i can't remember if front or rear requires the extreme amount of labor but i'll probably be doing some other stuff at the same time.
Fronts are more involved than the rears -- but both require a drop of the entire suspension subassembly. Labor for the job is in the four figures -- verified by a couple of 2Addicts who have had the job done by a pro.

Unless you've got damn near a commercial-grade garage and/or some very good mechanic skills, I would not try installing sways on a 2 Series as a DIY.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2016, 01:51 PM   #4
Liquidpaper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
I did the aforementioned sway-bar installation with a professional. The labor is 4 figures.

Save your money and get a differential before you think about getting expensive coils or sway bars.
      09-16-2016, 08:40 PM   #5
JoeyF228
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidpaper View Post
I did the aforementioned sway-bar installation with a professional. The labor is 4 figures.

Save your money and get a differential before you think about getting expensive coils or sway bars.
I work at a dealership and have quite a few techs that would do it as a side job so i wouldn't pay the ~$100/hr labor rate.

I would love a limited slip rear, what are the options for a 228 with an automatic though? I do plan on trading for a M2 in 2 years so i don't want to put too much money in to it either.

I may just do the M Performance suspension, M4 LCA's and tension struts. That seems like it would keep a nice ride quality and still be a great handling upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2016, 02:41 AM   #6
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
I may just do the M Performance suspension, M4 LCA's and tension struts. That seems like it would keep a nice ride quality and still be a great handling upgrade.
Good plan - look forward to yr feedback.

If yr car doesn't have the m235i chassis brace - I'd fit that too to help tie rear subframe to the body.

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2016, 06:38 AM   #7
x233
Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: M2C, M235xi

Quote:
Sounds reasonable.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2016, 02:34 PM   #8
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
I work at a dealership and have quite a few techs that would do it as a side job so i wouldn't pay the ~$100/hr labor rate.

I would love a limited slip rear, what are the options for a 228 with an automatic though? I do plan on trading for a M2 in 2 years so i don't want to put too much money in to it either.

I'd go this route if you're going to trade up to an M2 in @ 2 years. Most of the car's body roll comes from the relatively soft springs and relatively light compression damping -- not the sways. Well-chosen coilovers (or well-matched springs/shocks) coupled with M3 LCAs will banish most of it.
Appreciate 1
Tpeterson156.50
      03-14-2017, 12:47 AM   #9
JoeyF228
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post
Good plan - look forward to yr feedback.

If yr car doesn't have the m235i chassis brace - I'd fit that too to help tie rear subframe to the body.
I will definitely look in to this, seems like something i can probably get done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
I'd go this route if you're going to trade up to an M2 in @ 2 years. Most of the car's body roll comes from the relatively soft springs and relatively light compression damping -- not the sways. Well-chosen coilovers (or well-matched springs/shocks) coupled with M3 LCAs will banish most of it.
Had some things come up but budget is coming around so i can finally start doing this stuff. Wheels and tires are on the way, want to upgrade my brakes too but thank you guys for the help!
Appreciate 0