THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Need Some Help - Throttle Issue

10-05-2022, 06:56 PM   #1
leftoverture
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 228i

Need Some Help - Throttle Issue

So, the car is a 2016 228i x-drive convertible, automatic. 58k miles. I have an issue that only occasionally pops up, but every now and then I will put my foot down on the gas pedal and nothing. Like it's not reading the throttle input at all. In fact, when this happens at highway speeds, it will lose speed like I've taken my foot off the gas.

It is not a tune up issue like spark plugs or fuel, it's like the computer gets confused and thinks I've let off the gas. It is pretty rare when it happens, maybe only a handful of times, usually when I'm trying to pull out from a stop and then only briefly before it comes back. Today, though, it happened on the freeway and, quite unfortunately, it caused me to get rear ended. I pressed the gas down as I changed lanes and nothing, for a good 3 or 4 seconds. (Pretty sure the other driver wasn't paying attention, but had the throttle not died like that it wouldn't have mattered.)

There have been no warning lights and no check engine lights or anything. It actually hasn't happened for a couple months before today, so I didn't even think to try checking codes, though I don't know if my little code reader would read them any way.

Has anyone else experienced an issue like this? Intermittent issues like this are always hard to diagnose, so I figure if anyone has experienced something similar, that input could really help. Car is at the body shop for who knows how long, so I won't have a chance to try reading codes for a while. The damage was minor, I got lucky, but if this keeps happening next time I may not be so lucky.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2022, 07:43 PM   #2
Kernel Kurtz
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M240i xDrive

My 2011 335i used to stall while moving, very rarely, for no real reason. Never at speed though, usually in parking lots. Did not have a code reader back then and I just learned to live with it, but nowadays I check and save any diagnostics I can when anything out of the ordinary happens.

Hopefully there is a stored code history for you to follow when you can. Good nobody was hurt and hope you get it all sorted soon.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2022, 08:37 PM   #3
jzeiler4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M240i xDrive vert

May just need to replace your pedal transducer, it may have gotten dirty inside.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2022, 09:44 PM   #4
leftoverture
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler4 View Post
May just need to replace your pedal transducer, it may have gotten dirty inside.
You mean the accelerator pedal position sensor assembly? I was thinking that's a possibility, is there a way to diagnose it? And if I replace it myself is there any coding required?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2022, 08:19 AM   #5
leftoverture
Captain
United_States
Rep

After doing some research, the symptoms fit a faulty accelerator pedal position sensor so I went ahead and ordered the new part. Of course, won't get to put it in until I get my car back from the body shop. But, does anyone know the proper relearn procedure? Having a hard time finding the right one on line.
Appreciate 0