THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum F23 The headlights are cloudy

09-22-2022, 10:22 PM   #1
collinsundberg
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW x8

F23 The headlights are cloudy

Hi, I just received an F23 and the problem is that the headlights are cloudy. Tried blowing dust and cleaning but didn't solve it.

Does anyone have any idea what is not? Or do I have to contact the seller about this. Thank!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2022, 12:53 AM   #2
Nickies
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M240I

Quote:
Originally Posted by collinsundberg View Post
Hi, I just received an F23 and the problem is that the headlights are cloudy. Tried blowing dust and cleaning but didn't solve it.

Does anyone have any idea what is not? Or do I have to contact the seller about this. Thank!
They need to be replaced....... sorry for the bad news. Do you have Xenon or LED set up?
2019 M240i, Melbourne Red, Black Interior. 3M Tint, Premium Package, Harman Kardon, Adaptive LED Head Lights, M Performance Exhaust and Diffuser, Chrome Exhaust Tips, 719M Bi Color Wheels, Black Kidney Grille, Burger Tuning JB+.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2022, 05:30 AM   #3
Shovelman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 230i

Is it a surface condition or maybe moisture inside?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2022, 10:44 AM   #4
F22 Raptor
Usually 10 over
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW228i Coupe AT

Try this. Works good, follow directions.

https://www.amazon.com/CERAKOTE-Cera...ch&sr=8-4&th=1
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2022, 11:37 AM   #5
TrboMike
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M240ix

The headlights have very small air vents that allow SOME air in and our to help with humidity and temp changes. I've seen perfectly fine headlights get SOME humidity in crazy conditions (hot swampy pouring rain) that goes away once the air exchange catches up to the humidity level inside.

If you have humidity/fog/water all the time, there is an air leak into your headlight. A crack or dust cover missing. Best way to deal with it is to remove the headlight and find whats going wrong and seal it up, or replace the headlight.

If you have DUST inside your headlight on the INSIDE, you have the same problem above that air is getting inside the headlight (bringing the dust with it) and you also need to find the air leak as above but ALSO need to somehow clean the dust off. I've seen some you can physically get a rag in there, some you need to pour water in and slush it around then get ALL the water and moisture out, some you need to split the cover from the headlight assembly and then clean it and put it back together. Again may be easier/cheaper to replace.

If the haze is on the OUTSIDE of the plastic covers, you can have the plastic buffed thinner to get the hazing off. This is caused by UV (sunlight), ozone, and microcracks from pebble hits while you drive. I've tried toothpaste and a few Amazon kits, IMO you need to sand down the plastic then buff over and over with less abrasive buffs until you get clear plastic again. But that leaves you with thinner plastic that is more able to cloud over in the future from UV, ozone etc.

I have a lot of micro cracks in mine and am worried I'll have to deal with haze in the near future. I think right now I'd buy the cheapest headlights from BMW which are about $350 each and disassemble and remove the new covers and replace my bi-zeon covers with those. Hope they're the same. Anyone else have better solution?
Appreciate 1
      10-06-2022, 11:35 AM   #6
pbedrosi
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by F22 Raptor View Post

https://www.amazon.com/CERAKOTE-Cera...r=8-4&th=1
Quote:
Originally Posted by F22 Raptor View Post

https://www.amazon.com/CERAKOTE-Cera...r=8-4&th=1
I can vouch for this product. Used it on my Boxster headlights and amazing difference. Especially for old yellowed crud. The ceramic wipes had enough material on them to coat the taillights. That would be my tip, prep the rears too so you can coat. I got mine from Walmart if you can't wait for shipping.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2022, 11:03 AM   #7
Vlogmanchris
Rep
Drives: BMW 228i

try bluemagic headlight cleaner
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2022, 02:30 PM   #8
Dr. Indiana Jones
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by collinsundberg View Post

I realize this post is old, but I recently restored some headlights on a 2010 3-series. I presume the problem is the dreaded, common, and inevitable hazing over time of the OUTSIDE of the plastic headlight lens covers. Like any clearcoat repair, you always want to start with a mild abrasive, and then go progressively finer and finer. I prefer liquids (start with a mild rubbing compound, then a scratch remover, then a polish, and finally a wax). Alternatively, you can use varying grits of superfine emery paper or buffing pads. However, I found that an aftermarket liquid lens cleaner (I believe I used Mother's but there are many other brands like Maguiars, etc.) offers a reasonable one-step process. It restored the lenses to about 85%-90% as good as new... certainly a noticeable improvement.
Appreciate 0