THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) Help: Oxidized window trim

04-03-2021, 06:00 PM   #1
Mogki
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 230XI

Garage List
Question Help: Oxidized window trim

I've had this issue since I got the car with the 'chrome' window trim looking oxidized and getting worse.

I attached 2 pictures but it's basically like that the whole way around on both sides of the car at this point

I'm at my wits end trying to fix it with all kinds of rubbing and polishing compounds, it's going to come down to not having much experience and not knowing how to deal with in the end I'm sure.

I wanted to see if anyone else had this issue or how they fixed or if there's not much hope if anyone's pulled and replaced it or got it wrapped to hide it.

Thanks all in advance.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-03-2021, 07:58 PM   #2
John in VA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

Some have replaced it (expensive), some have wrapped it with vinyl (affordable).
A light coat of WD-40 or 3-in-1 oil makes it look better.
Some have had good luck with Blue Magic metal polish cream - just be careful not to get it on the rubber trim, as it's hard to remove.
Classic TrimCoat's Aluminum Deoxidizer is a more involved option:
http://classictrimcoat.com/aluminum-deoxidizer.php
2015 BMW 228i in EstorilBlau II Metallic / Terra Dakota Leather - 6-speed manual, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package, Premium Package, Harman Kardon premium sound, Anti-theft alarm system, Blue Metallic Matt Accent Moldings, Aluminum Hexagon Interior Strips, Anthracite Headlining
Appreciate 1
Mogki34.00
      04-04-2021, 10:40 AM   #3
marcbrtn4
Registered
Rep
Drives: 230i

I had this same issue. Tried all the polishes to no avail. Ended up masking off the trim and wet sanding it by hand. Worked my way from 800 up to 3000 grit. Then polished with the blue stuff. It looks almost good as new now.

Full disclosure... I just did this last week so I don't know if or how quickly the oxidation will return.
Appreciate 1
Mogki34.00
      04-04-2021, 05:46 PM   #4
Mogki
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcbrtn4 View Post
I had this same issue. Tried all the polishes to no avail. Ended up masking off the trim and wet sanding it by hand. Worked my way from 800 up to 3000 grit. Then polished with the blue stuff. It looks almost good as new now.

Full disclosure... I just did this last week so I don't know if or how quickly the oxidation will return.
Yeah after doing some more looking around it seems like a lot of people just sand it and buff it back but if it's already this bad on a 2017 I may just see if t here is anyone who can wrap or color it gloss black
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2021, 08:07 PM   #5
donkim
Rep
Drives: 230i

Any chance that this would be covered by the warranty?
Appreciate 1
Mogki34.00
      04-06-2021, 11:40 PM   #6
Mogki
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by donkim View Post
Any chance that this would be covered by the warranty?
That's a good question I still have a good amount left on it but I could see them blowing it off as cosmetics not being covered.

I'll give them a call in the morning see if I can get an answer out of them
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2022, 09:52 AM   #7
BroncRoc11
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i xDrive

Looks Like Crap.

I have seen posts where some have gotten it replaced under warranty. I have an appointment at the dealer today to see what they say. I CANT STAND the way it looks so one way or another, its getting fixed or replaced.
Appreciate 0