THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Tracking / Autocrossing Had 2017 M240 corner balanced

07-28-2022, 05:09 PM   #1
BillG2A
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240 6spd.

Had 2017 M240 corner balanced

Had M240 corner balanced last week

3,538 pounds with driver and near full tank
( before and after regardless of what is in photo ). 3,258 pounds no driver or fuel. I have rear seats removed

Cross 50/50% is goal. Car feels great after install of KW v2 coilovers and SPL monoball thrust bushings and "034" Racing aluminum rear dif and partial rear subframe inserts (but only 2 of 4 due to miscommunication )
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
dradernh4179.00
      07-29-2022, 09:55 AM   #2
BillG2A
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240 6spd.

Front to rear percent was not as close to 50/50 as I had wanted. My calculation is if 90 lbs came off front and 90 lbs went to rear it would be 50/50

So maybe add rake by raising rears and a carbon or aluminum hood could get me there or add weight to rear. But this is not a race car and i am not using the existing performance envelop of car.

So back to driver enhancement

Height is set to recommended front height by KW and about minimum rear

Installing the KW v2 was time consuming not so challenging . The spl monoballs were a bitch from pressing out the stock units to pressing in new ones The removal from car and reinstall is also tedious
Steering feel is improved , I would recommend it. Racing shop suggested poly thrust bushings over the aluminum spl monoball units since it is street car for less NVH I think it was a good trade off

The 034 racing aluminum inserts for diff went in easy enough and grip and movement under acceleration with Mper LSD is much improved.

As far as 034 rear subframe bushing install I could not even remove the two rear bolts. They would not move with a pry bar. The front two bolts came loose with a little effort I asked the race shop to install just the bottom inserts on all four corners of subframe. Due to misunderstanding they installed just the rear two top and bottoms
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2022, 02:17 PM   #3
RacerBowie
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Several

Just remember that increasing rake won't REALLY change F/R %. It might act like it briefly on the scales before everything settles, but the only way to actually do it is to move things/change parts.

I'm curious how many "turns" of a perch made how much difference on the fronts and the rears (and therefore how many turns per inch the perches have I guess). Better question I guess there is how far did you have to move the various corners to move that 46lbs of cross?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2022, 02:23 PM   #4
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillG2A View Post
Front to rear percent was not as close to 50/50 as I had wanted.

But this is not a race car and i am not using the existing performance envelop of car.

Racing shop suggested poly thrust bushings over the aluminum spl monoball units since it is street car for less NVH
You achieved 50% cross weight; that was your principal goal, wasn't it? FWIW, my front/rear %s are just about the same as yours. (see below)

I left my rear seats in, and your numbers lead me to think they weigh around 50-60#. That's a real no-brainer weight reduction if lap times are a goal.

I stayed away from stiffer front bushings as I knew I'd track the car only a handful of times. (I stopped after six events.) Stiffer bushings are why I passed on the M2; I really don't care for them the way streets are today.

You have to try a bushing to really know what it's going to feel like in your car with your mods, though. I imagine the monoballs sharpened your steering feedback up nicely. Do you have any idea what the service life is on them?

Appreciate 0