THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Passenger Rear Tail Light Issues

06-03-2022, 07:33 PM   #23
leftoverture
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 228i

Well, they told me it was just a bulb. Hmmm. I didn't see a bulb that was out and the warning came and went. They say they checked the harness and connector and found no issue. My battery was still the original, 6 1/2 years old, and about a week ago I had my seat memory positions disappear, so I had them change the battery since I'm going on this road trip. No issues so far.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2022, 02:19 PM   #24
keha
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M2 LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlb5 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gosi View Post
What causes this to happen? Heard about it before.
It looks like the ground pin is too small for the current that can go through it. It is a common ground for all of the bulbs in the assembly. If you have your foot on the brakes, at night, with your turn signal on, you have multiple bulbs on. From what I've seen, these issues go back to at least E46 era cars. I don't know why this hasn't been better addressed.

My car is about a year out of the extended warranty for this issue. I drilled a hole in my bulb holder assembly and ran two wires in. I sanded a couple spots on the ground "loop" and soldered the wires to the "loop". I cut and striped the ground wire from the harness and crimped on a quick disconnect to connect the ground wire to the new wires I soldered. I then siliconed the hole I drilled to keep it water tight and hopefully that solves it. Cheaper than buying the new bulb holder assembly and ground kit and accomplishes the same thing. Way cheaper than taking into the dealership.
Looks like it's my turn. 2016 M2.

Going to give this a try since worst case is going to be buying a new harness and repair kit anyways.

When you say sand and solder into the "loop", do you mean it's just a bare ground cable that's just soldered into the harness in multiple spots along the "loop"?

(Haven't opened it up yet so your post might actually make more sense once I open mine up, lol)

Thanks for the initial post though!
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2022, 02:46 PM   #25
stlb5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C MT, '15 X5 Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by keha View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gosi View Post
What causes this to happen? Heard about it before.
It looks like the ground pin is too small for the current that can go through it. It is a common ground for all of the bulbs in the assembly. If you have your foot on the brakes, at night, with your turn signal on, you have multiple bulbs on. From what I've seen, these issues go back to at least E46 era cars. I don't know why this hasn't been better addressed.

My car is about a year out of the extended warranty for this issue. I drilled a hole in my bulb holder assembly and ran two wires in. I sanded a couple spots on the ground "loop" and soldered the wires to the "loop". I cut and striped the ground wire from the harness and crimped on a quick disconnect to connect the ground wire to the new wires I soldered. I then siliconed the hole I drilled to keep it water tight and hopefully that solves it. Cheaper than buying the new bulb holder assembly and ground kit and accomplishes the same thing. Way cheaper than taking into the dealership.
Looks like it's my turn. 2016 M2.

Going to give this a try since worst case is going to be buying a new harness and repair kit anyways.

When you say sand and solder into the "loop", do you mean it's just a bare ground cable that's just soldered into the harness in multiple spots along the "loop"?

(Haven't opened it up yet so your post might actually make more sense once I open mine up, lol)

Thanks for the initial post though!
Look at the picture I posted with the drawing on top. It will make more sense when you get in there. There is a metal ground path the basically makes a loop. With new ground wires I soldered in, I hit a couple of points between the bulbs on the loop to shorten the ground path.
Appreciate 1
keha10.50
      09-25-2022, 05:38 PM   #26
Rich.Wolfson
Thaumaturge
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Free Pre-updateBulb Holder Plates to someone who needs them

I did the upgrade to my 2014 M235i rear lamps as I am going through it just to eliminate issues that I know will happen eventually. Both bulb plates, left and right, and the pigtail kit to fit the new plates.

The job was easy but the new updates plates are not cheap. If someone is not doing this update because of expense, I am offering up both of my plates free just for shipping. And if you send me a picture that your connector, one or both pin 7 brown wire, I can send you the connector to but if yours is not burnt, then you don't need it and since they are small I don't have to find any extra space to store it.

The instructions to put in your own ground is easy to understand once you look at the parts if you don't have the cash to spend to do it with new parts.

All I ask is that when you do complete the fix, you offer up your bulb holders for someone else for free here too.

PM me and the first one who makes their case, gets the goods.

///Rich
Appreciate 1
dmaxdmax417.00
      10-28-2022, 01:51 PM   #27
keha
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M2 LBB

Quote:
Look at the picture I posted with the drawing on top. It will make more sense when you get in there. There is a metal ground path the basically makes a loop. With new ground wires I soldered in, I hit a couple of points between the bulbs on the loop to shorten the ground path.
Thought I’d circle back on this. Worked like a charm. Had no issue after I soldered in the additional ground wires to the metal loop. Thanks so much!

Took a few pics and videos, so might end up making a guide/video if I can put together some time in case it might help others.
Appreciate 1
MLJR235116.50
      01-02-2023, 09:58 PM   #28
pacificsky
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i 8AT RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by keha View Post
Thought I’d circle back on this. Worked like a charm. Had no issue after I soldered in the additional ground wires to the metal loop. Thanks so much!

Took a few pics and videos, so might end up making a guide/video if I can put together some time in case it might help others.
keha If you wouldn't mind posting any pictures of your soldering, that would be amazing. Also - any special instructions for soldering? Did you use sandpaper on the traces before soldering the wires? Any instructions on type of solder used so it doesn't break off with a bump? etc

Thanks!