THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Can anything be done about the steering on the M240i?

03-25-2020, 01:10 PM   #89
gosi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M240

Thanks for the insight, it was helpful.

What would help with feedback then? That’s what I’m after first, before greater mechanical grip, since I don’t feel comfortable pushing the car in corners because I can’t tell when I’m close to the limit.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 01:12 PM   #90
morphomeman
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235ix

Garage List
2016 BMW X3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M235ix  [0.00]
You will never get the same direct feedback on this or any other similar vehicle that you get with an old-fashioned direct mechanically-linked steering system, no matter what mods you do. You have to train yourself to feel the very different sort of feedback that you are now getting.
As I have said many times before, if you really want a direct feel, invest in a good bicycle. You will also benefit from the exercise. If you are lazy, buy a go-kart.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 01:17 PM   #91
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistantTea View Post
Just an update on my car... it's the same after 12k miles. Very floating an uncentered at highway speeds. I took it to a BMW dealer where they proceeded to damage my car and piss me off. Since it's an xdrive I can't do that swap otherwise I would have already have done it. Honestly I think a good alignment from a performance shop might clear it up at least some. Maybe after we all die from the plague my zombie can get it checked out by an outside shop.
Do you have runflats?
      03-25-2020, 01:19 PM   #92
gosi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M240

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphomeman View Post
You will never get the same direct feedback on this or any other similar vehicle that you get with an old-fashioned direct mechanically-linked steering system, no matter what mods you do. You have to train yourself to feel the very different sort of feedback that you are now getting.
As I have said many times before, if you really want a direct feel, invest in a good bicycle. You will also benefit from the exercise. If you are lazy, buy a go-kart.
That’s a bit ridiculous since the steering is still mechanically linked...
Appreciate 1
Moflow2484.50
      03-25-2020, 02:26 PM   #93
cristo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M240i Convertible

The steering wheel is mechanically
connected to the rack, and the electric
motor is also mechanically connected
to the rack to provide variable assistance
to steering effort.
It’s not a fly by wire type of system like
the gas pedal.
Appreciate 2
Moflow2484.50
WolfGTI716.00
      03-27-2020, 03:48 PM   #94
ssrriivv
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M240i xDrive coupe

Could someone please explain how to code the EPS? I can't find the correct options on esys. I even tried telling the FA, that it was an M2, VO coded EPS, and couldn't find the same "varientcodierung" option. (as per this guide). The dealer updated my entire firmware in january (the steering wheel angle sensor was replaced) so I doubt I have an old istep version

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1541527
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 07:41 PM   #95
MetalMK
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssrriivv View Post
Could someone please explain how to code the EPS? I can't find the correct options on esys. I even tried telling the FA, that it was an M2, VO coded EPS, and couldn't find the same "varientcodierung" option. (as per this guide). The dealer updated my entire firmware in january (the steering wheel angle sensor was replaced) so I doubt I have an old istep version

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1541527
Because your car is not an M car, it does not have the M subframe, which includes the "M Servotronic EPS Steering".
https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=960886

The lack of hardware meaning the difference in coding options, so no, you cannot have M2 steering on a 2 series.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 10:21 PM   #96
cooolone2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 20' M240iX B58, 01' 330XI E46

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMK View Post
Because your car is not an M car, it does not have the M subframe, which includes the "M Servotronic EPS Steering".

The lack of hardware meaning the difference in coding options, so no, you cannot have M2 steering on a 2 series.
Well, this brings me back to the question I asked, if anyone has tried swapping the steering rack between the two, or putting an M2 SR onto an M2XX... What am I missing? Excluding coding. My question is entirely for the Physical element as the two units have different part #"s.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 11:54 AM   #97
Yak
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Other than a heavier motor was there a change that was made to the M240i's steering from the M235i? Seems like the majority of complaints about the steering are from M240i owners.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 12:30 PM   #98
morphomeman
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235ix

Garage List
2016 BMW X3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M235ix  [0.00]
I suspect that the 235 folks got used to it or that those who were really unhappy switched to a vehicle with more direct feedback.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 12:56 PM   #99
DistantTea
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Oops

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
Do you have runflats?
No. I swapped them when I bought the car with AS3+.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 04:02 PM   #100
ssrriivv
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

The reason I asked, is if you go back a couple pages, someone said they did succesfully
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 10:19 PM   #101
MetalMK
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
The reason I asked, is if you go back a couple pages, someone said they did succesfully
Well he's talking nonsense. It is not possible. Next time someone is going to say "I coded the B58 engine in my 220d, my car is so much better"
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 10:11 AM   #102
surge98
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW m240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yak View Post
Other than a heavier motor was there a change that was made to the M240i's steering from the M235i? Seems like the majority of complaints about the steering are from M240i owners.
Is this primarily an issue on the m240i, or have there been similar complaints about the 230i?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 10:24 AM   #103
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Way back when in 2014, when I test drove the 4 cylinder vs the 6, I found the steering was more pleasing in the 4, and attributed this to the difference in weight over the front wheels. The 6 felt heavier, the 4 was more nimble and agile in feel. One of the reasons I preferred and spec'd out a 2015 228i at that time. Could this differential continue to contribute to what folks are feeling today?
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 11:16 AM   #104
ssrriivv
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Well he's talking nonsense. It is not possible. Next time someone is going to say "I coded the B58 engine in my 220d, my car is so much better"
Well, if you think about it, this isn't that impractical. It's changing the mapping of the EPS to assist less or more. We have variable steering, just not the same exact version of variable steering.It shouldn't really be an issue (in theory) to be able to modify mapping since it has hardware for it. I was playing around with it more, and VO coding the module after setting the FA to various different models, does indeed result in a lot of various options that were previously unavailable (like in the list of different values, not the actual option itself). I wonder if you could write different firmware to it (probably not) that would make the system think it's different, or if there is a magic FA model number that makes it act similarly. Probably not, but I'm looking around. I just want to remove that stupid deadzone on center, that makes the car feel incredibly strange at highway speeds. It was not there until I hit like 35k miles, and now it magically drives like a truck at highway speeds. Except its fine in a corner. It's the most confusing thing in the world, and the dealer (i've tried 2 dealers) find absolutely nothing wrong with the suspension. I've even got it aligned twice trying to fix it. If anyone has any suggestions, I would love some help.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 01:06 PM   #105
MetalMK
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Well, if you think about it, this isn't that impractical. It's changing the mapping of the EPS to assist less or more. We have variable steering, just not the same exact version of variable steering.It shouldn't really be an issue (in theory) to be able to modify mapping since it has hardware for it. I was playing around with it more, and VO coding the module after setting the FA to various different models, does indeed result in a lot of various options that were previously unavailable (like in the list of different values, not the actual option itself). I wonder if you could write different firmware to it (probably not) that would make the system think it's different, or if there is a magic FA model number that makes it act similarly. Probably not, but I'm looking around. I just want to remove that stupid deadzone on center, that makes the car feel incredibly strange at highway speeds. It was not there until I hit like 35k miles, and now it magically drives like a truck at highway speeds. Except its fine in a corner. It's the most confusing thing in the world, and the dealer (i've tried 2 dealers) find absolutely nothing wrong with the suspension. I've even got it aligned twice trying to fix it. If anyone has any suggestions, I would love some help.
Like those said previous in the thread, you can fit the M2 lower control arm for a somewhat more direct feel. But it only has little contribution, the things that made the M2 steering so good is not the electric motor, it is the aluminum front subframe and the directly bolted on to the chassis. It is not as simple as coding, and BMW would not have let the change to be simple or no one will buy an M car again. You can try to make it feel better from your perspective, but it might just be a placebo effect.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 01:51 PM   #106
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Like those said previous in the thread, you can fit the M2 lower control arm for a somewhat more direct feel. But it only has little contribution...
I don't recall if you previously mentioned doing this modification to your car. I have a different assessment of its effect on mine. It is not so much about "feel", although having long since become accustomed to the car now, I believe I recall a small improvement in the sense of what the tires are doing. The primary benefit is for responsiveness...tire response to steering wheel input, regardless of feel. This is not a small change and it is particularly notable at the on-center position. My SA was concerned that it would be so significant as to be "darty". It turned out not to be that at all, and is smooth coming off-center and very stable when cruising. Love it, with no downside, other than perhaps losing a small bit of tire tread lifespan. So be it. Well worth it. I am sorry that our XDrive colleagues here cannot take advantge of this, as it remains my favorite among all modifications.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 02:28 PM   #107
ssrriivv
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Like those said previous in the thread, you can fit the M2 lower control arm for a somewhat more direct feel. But it only has little contribution, the things that made the M2 steering so good is not the electric motor, it is the aluminum front subframe and the directly bolted on to the chassis. It is not as simple as coding, and BMW would not have let the change to be simple or no one will buy an M car again. You can try to make it feel better from your perspective, but it might just be a placebo effect.
That's what I'm trying to do. I actually like the steering in the M240i over say, an E46, call me crazy. It's pretty direct, and confidence inspiring even though its over assisted. I'm just trying to fix the stupid center wobble.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 03:33 PM   #108
albertw
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M240i

Skimming through the entire thread, it is clear that there is a lot of car to car variability in the on-centre dead spot that doesn't seem to be related to tire type. (My experience: During a test drive of an M240iX, I checked for this common complaint by turning the wheel slightly, enough to move the car from the center of the lane to the edge in 5 seconds, then releasing the wheel. In that car the steering wheel snapped back to centre immediately, whereas in my M240i RWD the steering wheel does not move back and the car keeps turning slowly. Raising the front tire pressure to 39 did not affect this at all.)

It seems unlikely to me that this is an issue with programming of the electronic steering assist. Why would BMW vary this randomly among cars?

ssrriivv, your experience with the dead spot appearing after a brake flush seems to rule out mechanical variations in the steering rack as the cause of this issue.

I think the most likely explanation is variation in steering alignment. Perhaps the range of alignment values acceptable to the factory causes the amount of dead spot on-centre to vary substantially. ssrrivvv, did the shop adjust the alignment after the brake flush?

Once the covid-19 epidemic has run its course I plan to have my alignment checked. If any of the numbers are at one end of the acceptable range I plan to have them moved to the other end, to see if it improves the dead spot.

Meanwhile, it would be great if people who have had their alignment checked would post their numbers along with their impression of the on-centre dead spot.
      03-31-2020, 06:35 PM   #109
ssrriivv
Enlisted Member
Rep

Yeah I've had 2 different alignments done since then, with no difference. (at 2 different dealers). I spoke with my SA's technician at my main dealer, saying that the way they align them, they either adjust the camber or toe in to the other end of calibration spec, to optimize tire wear, which might be the root cause of the issue. But I don't know. The reason I was considering a software map, is because some M2 people actually have this issue, and coding it seems to fix the issue entirely. Which makes me think that when they designed the EPS map for the M240i, which likely hasn't been modified since early 2016 (when the first 17 models of the M240i came out), they probably did the same thing that the original M2 owners were complaining about. Where the motor seems to overassist on center. I've driven many cars with poor alignment, BMW and nonBMW and they don't really feel like this unless they have bad control arms. Maybe i should take it to a specialty shop for an alignment, who knows.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 06:47 PM   #110
sethwas
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyracer View Post
Michelin PSS. Replaced the OEM Pirellis at about 1/2 tread life (car will be returned with those at end of lease). Didn't find any real improvement in the steering with the PSS, unfortunately.
I can tell you the steering is sensitive to the tires you run. (And pressures too, we all know the joke.)
I've driven my 2 series with 3 different sets of tires on the front (more if you count other BMW's I've driven) and it does transform how moving the wheel moves the car. All subtle of course but you're only talking about subtle differences anyway. (stock RFT, vs. Bridgestone touring, vs. General summer)

First any tire with lots of tread blocks (and/or tall blocks) will be squishy.
If you get a tire with a solid piece of rubber in the center of the tire circumference you will notice more 'feel' as in twitchyness off center. This is because it doesn't squirm as much (it doesn't have as much give when you turn the wheel since its solid).
This is a desirable feature in a sporty tire, in a luxury tire is is not so expect more road noise.

Also try going to a smaller rim/tire combo so the whole thing weighs less. Steering will feel better (more responsive) because less weight to move around.
Only thing I can suggest is seeing who has another car like yours with a different rim/tire setup and sit behind the wheel.

Seth
Appreciate 0