THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Dead battery makes man locked out of his Te$la unless he pays $26k for a new one...

10-07-2022, 09:39 AM   #309
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep
Drives: BSM F87 LCI (DCT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM7 View Post
Yes, this is idiotic. Back to highschool for you.
could one of you geniuses care to elaborate why?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2022, 09:52 AM   #310
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneIn4Secs View Post
I mean, people really think like this? It's a "thing"? It's amazing how far our education system has fallen. And even then, you are just asking some random dudes on the internet, rather than cracking open a book or taking a class. Just in the most basic sense, if increasing CO2 levels was offset with O2 production, the gas %s in the atmosphere would never change...I mean, that's just basic reasoning.
      10-07-2022, 09:55 AM   #311
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Yeah, I want to hear it too. I've asked them numerous times when in the Earth's climate history they'd like to get back to and how do we get there.

Bupkis... Crickets as it were...

LOL
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2022, 11:07 AM   #312
G MONEY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 458/ YAS m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisticated Redneck View Post
Quick question for you fine gentlemen much more versed in this subject then me: What happens to the U.S. dollar as we are forced to move away so rapidly from oil? As oil demand falls and therefore the need for the petrodollar, would not this rapidly decrease the dollars value and within the next 10 years result in massive inflation that makes the current inflation look like child's play? Without the need for the petrodollar, what is to prevent this?
Ain't going to happen my friend. Oil and Gas will be here way past everyone arguing on this thread. We will all be taking dirt naps before this happens. Our military uses more fuel than anything or anyone. There will not be a Jetliner with batteries anytime soon. I'm in Refineries all the time. They can't make enough jet fuel to keep up as is.
Appreciate 2
Efthreeoh17146.50
Cos270608.50
      10-07-2022, 11:12 AM   #313
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
I mean, people really think like this? It's a "thing"? It's amazing how far our education system has fallen. And even then, you are just asking some random dudes on the internet, rather than cracking open a book or taking a class. Just in the most basic sense, if increasing CO2 levels was offset with O2 production, the gas %s in the atmosphere would never change...I mean, that's just basic reasoning.
But by believing humans have devised a mechanism to control GHG to achieve a desired static ratio of GHG is EXACTLY what the Climate Fearers are trying to do.

Your "basic reasoning" falls in on itself.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 10-07-2022 at 11:21 AM..
Appreciate 1
M5Rick59523.00
      10-07-2022, 11:13 AM   #314
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I think you've gotten so smart that you forgot the essentials

you still havent said anything that negates or elaborates on my post, just some comments on the 'education system'

the point is greenery on earth, trees and plants BREATH IN carbon dioxide and emit Oxygen into the atmosphere,

animals and humans breath in oxygen, pretty cool symbiotic relationship that God has created here

its simple to understand, if all these climate initiatives are trying to reduce carbon, with co2 falling under this umbrella, then logic would tell you overall oxygen levels will fall in the long run as well which is a BAD thing for living creatures on earth
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2022, 11:29 AM   #315
freakystyly
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F22 B58 6MT

Just remember, the Egyptians didn't build the pyramids with coal rolling Dodge Rams. The industrial revolution is basically when pollution "started". We also haven't been able to record data because of a lack of science and understanding in history. To say things are the same as they always were is a bit short sighted, literally.

One thing that recently stood out to me was arctic soot, carbon soot in the arctic.... melting snow because it's black. https://www.nasa.gov/vision/earth/en...ctic_soot.html Hopefully NASA isn't a fake site.
Appreciate 1
chris7197324.00
      10-07-2022, 11:42 AM   #316
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
I think you've gotten so smart that you forgot the essentials

you still havent said anything that negates or elaborates on my post, just some comments on the 'education system'

the point is greenery on earth, trees and plants BREATH IN carbon dioxide and emit Oxygen into the atmosphere,

animals and humans breath in oxygen, pretty cool symbiotic relationship that God has created here

its simple to understand, if all these climate initiatives are trying to reduce carbon, with co2 falling under this umbrella, then logic would tell you overall oxygen levels will fall in the long run as well which is a BAD thing for living creatures on earth
Is that you Herschel?

Last edited by chris719; 10-07-2022 at 11:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2022, 12:37 PM   #317
BGM-M3COMP
The Ben Shapiro of this place. I never lose! LOL
Rep
Drives: 12 plaids on order

Garage List
Hurry elon and make more awesome EV's!
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2022, 03:05 PM   #318
chad86tsi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M760i P60 Greyblack

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakystyly View Post
Just remember, the Egyptians didn't build the pyramids with coal rolling Dodge Rams. The industrial revolution is basically when pollution "started". We also haven't been able to record data because of a lack of science and understanding in history. To say things are the same as they always were is a bit short sighted, literally.

One thing that recently stood out to me was arctic soot, carbon soot in the arctic.... melting snow because it's black. https://www.nasa.gov/vision/earth/en...ctic_soot.html Hopefully NASA isn't a fake site.
Ancient Egypt in the times of the pyramids construction used to be lush and green. Did the pyramids cause global warming, or is it possible that things change even without man's influence? Were things just as they always were between the pyramid construction era and just prior to the industrial revolution? What caused that?
Appreciate 2
INTMD8151.00
      10-07-2022, 08:25 PM   #319
freakystyly
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F22 B58 6MT

Right, that could be said about almost all of the middle east, most of it is quite barren now. Was it caused by animal herds or repeated droughts over a couple dozen or hundred years causing permanent damage or was it over thousands? Of course the planet will always be changing just like the life on it.

I only mentioned the industrial revolution because that was only about 200 years ago, plastics invented about 100 ago. We're doing a good job of inventing/manufacturing things in a short time and distributing those things to a select few of the nearly 8 billion people on Earth. Before then, what did the less than 1 billion people have that caused airborne pollution? Maybe they burned forests for fun, owned some livestock that farted?

Lets loop this back into the topic of the post. Lithium batteries were experimented with a bit more than 100 years ago and actually invented about 40 years ago. Other batteries even earlier. Why is this old battery tech so problematic still? ICE engines had some growing pains sure but electric isn't new.

Anyways hopefully this aimless ramble made sense, it's Oktoberfest and the glass is empty again.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2022, 10:40 PM   #320
chad86tsi
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakystyly View Post
Right, that could be said about almost all of the middle east, most of it is quite barren now. Was it caused by animal herds or repeated droughts over a couple dozen or hundred years causing permanent damage or was it over thousands? Of course the planet will always be changing just like the life on it.

I only mentioned the industrial revolution because that was only about 200 years ago, plastics invented about 100 ago. We're doing a good job of inventing/manufacturing things in a short time and distributing those things to a select few of the nearly 8 billion people on Earth. Before then, what did the less than 1 billion people have that caused airborne pollution? Maybe they burned forests for fun, owned some livestock that farted?

Lets loop this back into the topic of the post. Lithium batteries were experimented with a bit more than 100 years ago and actually invented about 40 years ago. Other batteries even earlier. Why is this old battery tech so problematic still? ICE engines had some growing pains sure but electric isn't new.

Anyways hopefully this aimless ramble made sense, it's Oktoberfest and the glass is empty again.
The first cars were electric.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2022, 09:02 PM   #321
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep

You have to dig up 500,000 lbs of material to make a SINGLE 1,000 lbs battery...

It take 100 to 300 barrels of oil to manufacture a single ev battery that can have 1 barrel worth of oil equivalent of energy...

Just manufacturing the EV battery can have a carbon debt rate of 10 tonnes to 40 tonnes of CO2

This plan for conversion of society to EV is a trojan horse meant to bankrupt 1st world nations at the same time increasing pollution
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2022, 10:28 PM   #322
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

And then theres the chemtrails on top of it all!
Appreciate 1
chris7197324.00
      11-05-2022, 10:39 PM   #323
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
You have to dig up 500,000 lbs of material to make a SINGLE 1,000 lbs battery...

It take 100 to 300 barrels of oil to manufacture a single ev battery that can have 1 barrel worth of oil equivalent of energy...

Just manufacturing the EV battery can have a carbon debt rate of 10 tonnes to 40 tonnes of CO2

This plan for conversion of society to EV is a trojan horse meant to bankrupt 1st world nations at the same time increasing pollution
You have to look at the carbon offset though. A typical ICE powered vehicle produces 4-5 tonnes of CO2 annually, and we haven't even started looking at what mineral recycling will look like down the road.
      11-05-2022, 11:12 PM   #324
chad86tsi
Captain
Rep

Only to charge the battery at night with mostly carbon produced energy?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2022, 06:08 AM   #325
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad86tsi View Post
Only to charge the battery at night with mostly carbon produced energy?
The CO2 produced from the charging infrastructure is still far less than emissions from using petrol. Factor in over time that grids are getting cleaner and renewable energy sources are going to be more common stay for people charging at home (my neighbour has solar panels on his roof that he only uses to charge his two EVs).
H2O_Doc511.50
chris7197324.00
      11-06-2022, 10:31 AM   #326
chad86tsi
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
The CO2 produced from the charging infrastructure is still far less than emissions from using petrol. Factor in over time that grids are getting cleaner and renewable energy sources are going to be more common stay for people charging at home (my neighbour has solar panels on his roof that he only uses to charge his two EVs).
Did your neighbors car come with those panels (and the space to install them)? Most of these EV's will need "someone else" to make their power.

The grid is getting more and more green mostly in daylight hours when people can't or don't charge their EV's. The fed is going to have to outlaw night time charging, and mandate chargers at all stores and employer parking lots if we want to get off carbon based transportation. Until then, EV's are just a supplement to the fleet, not a replacement - unless we are conceding some CO2 is fine, in which case they need to stop taking out coal plants and blocking natural gas plants.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-...d-science-act/
We’re going to be shutting these plants down all across America and having wind and solar. - Joe Biden

There are petrol cars that have CO2 emissions in a similar range of a carbon-charged EV. If some CO2 is fine, why get rid of all ICE's?

Problem is many people don't actually want those cars, just like so many don't want EV's either.
Appreciate 1
Cos270608.50
      11-06-2022, 10:59 AM   #327
BGM-M3COMP
The Ben Shapiro of this place. I never lose! LOL
Rep
Drives: 12 plaids on order

Garage List
Man 2030-2035 will be fun!!

Improvements on the way!!
      11-06-2022, 01:45 PM   #328
G MONEY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 458/ YAS m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad86tsi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
Did your neighbors car come with those panels (and the space to install them)? Most of these EV's will need "someone else" to make their power.

The grid is getting more and more green mostly in daylight hours when people can't or don't charge their EV's. The fed is going to have to outlaw night time charging, and mandate chargers at all stores and employer parking lots if we want to get off carbon based transportation. Until then, EV's are just a supplement to the fleet, not a replacement - unless we are conceding some CO2 is fine, in which case they need to stop taking out coal plants and blocking natural gas plants.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-...d-science-act/
We’re going to be shutting these plants down all across America and having wind and solar. - Joe Biden

There are petrol cars that have CO2 emissions in a similar range of a carbon-charged EV. If some CO2 is fine, why get rid of all ICE's?

Problem is many people don't actually want those cars, just like so many don't want EV's either.
The same President who just gave oil refineries money to open back up🤡. I'm all for the cleaner energies and all that stuff. Just can flip the switch and think it will happen. Going to take YEARS!!!!! Plus, in 2024 it will be a red administration so that will slow to a crawl. They way things are going, the Republicans can run anyone they want and win. Crazy times
Appreciate 1
chad86tsi1605.00
      11-06-2022, 11:51 PM   #329
DO444
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340i

I’ve read so many damn political posts on Twitter the past weekend I thought this post was titled dead man makes battery in Tesla lol.

Two more days and I can finally stop hearing about it.
I’m voting red all down the ticket, I don’t care. That’s all I’ll say as this site is not a political one.

That being said, no I wouldn’t buy a Tesla either.
But I would love to support musk. He is doing a lot of things right and I really admire him. Unfortunately, once the battery is gone then it’s a paperweight.
Appreciate 1
M5Rick59523.00
      11-07-2022, 12:07 AM   #330
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DO444 View Post
I’ve read so many damn political posts on Twitter the past weekend I thought this post was titled dead man makes battery in Tesla lol.

Two more days and I can finally stop hearing about it.
I’m voting red all down the ticket, I don’t care. That’s all I’ll say as this site is not a political one.

That being said, no I wouldn’t buy a Tesla either.
But I would love to support musk. He is doing a lot of things right and I really admire him. Unfortunately, once the battery is gone then it’s a paperweight.
Truly one of the lowest effort posts in this thread. Do some research as to how they are holding up. The battery doesn't just "go". Unless there is a recall-worthy defect, by the time the battery is an issue, your BMW will also be a paperweight because it's worth less than the money it will cost to fix it.

Not political but can't resist, can you? lol
Appreciate 0