THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Can anything be done about the steering on the M240i?

04-01-2020, 01:35 PM   #111
ssrriivv
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M240i xDrive coupe

Honestly it might. be tire type for me too. I'm using garbage bridgestone driveguards rn. My car felt fine on the stock pirelli cinturatos
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 04:21 PM   #112
Winemaker2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 230i MSport THP Dinan V2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
Way back when in 2014, when I test drove the 4 cylinder vs the 6, I found the steering was more pleasing in the 4, and attributed this to the difference in weight over the front wheels. The 6 felt heavier, the 4 was more nimble and agile in feel. One of the reasons I preferred and spec'd out a 2015 228i at that time. Could this differential continue to contribute to what folks are feeling today?
I believe you are on to something. When I test drove a M240i before going with the 230i i noticed the car seemed to dive into corners, very similar to the Mustang GT I was considering. The 230i had more balance, not necessarily in steering feel, which gave it an overall sense of control. Feel is so personal to each driver. I can only relate feel to my 944 turbo with rack and pinion...that was feel. But my 230i seems to accomplish more in maneuverability but I don't necessarily feel it through the steering wheel.

Last edited by Winemaker2; 04-01-2020 at 05:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2022, 10:32 PM   #113
brakthru
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
I believe you are on to something. When I test drove a M240i before going with the 230i i noticed the car seemed to dive into corners, very similar to the Mustang GT I was considering. The 230i had more balance, not necessarily in steering feel, which gave it an overall sense of control. Feel is so personal to each driver. I can only relate feel to my 944 turbo with rack and pinion...that was feel. But my 230i seems to accomplish more in maneuverability but I don't necessarily feel it through the steering wheel.
You guys may want to consider bimmergeeks Protool phone app if you don't use esys. I believe it has all the functions of esys but super easy to use. I used it recently to code my F22 M240 steering from 120A of current down to 85A which firmed the electric steering up and gave the car a sense of more control and slightly stiffer feel in the front end. Overall it feels more solid and not as light as before. I also played with the stability control settings and tweaked them to make the car drive more sporty. The car feels and handles much better for my setup especially in Sport+. Fun to drive with more sport car feel. I'm still on stock adaptive suspension with 235/40/18 front tires and 10mm spacers and 265/35/18 rears on 5mm spacers. I wonder if there is a way to code damping stiffness more directly. I haven't found anything related to it. If anyone knows, post here.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2022, 03:51 PM   #114
Kernel Kurtz
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M240i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by brakthru View Post
I used it recently to code my F22 M240 steering from 120A of current down to 85A which firmed the electric steering up and gave the car a sense of more control and slightly stiffer feel in the front end.
Can you elaborate on this? I very much wish I could set the steering weight independent of the adaptive suspension ie. sport mode steering in traction chassis setting.

Many thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2022, 05:10 PM   #115
brakthru
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kernel Kurtz View Post
Can you elaborate on this? I very much wish I could set the steering weight independent of the adaptive suspension ie. sport mode steering in traction chassis setting.

Many thanks.
Sure. You have the protool app. I'm not sure how to use esys. Lowering to 85A increases the firmness in all adaptive modes and is the most noticeable in Sport+ of course. I'll attach screen shots of the options in protool. I'll try to get some screen shots of DSC options I played around with later. Both the steering and DSC options made the car more sporty and I can power through corners quicker and more stable now. But, it will depend on your setup and preferences as to how it feels to you. You just click on steering, edit coding and max current. 85A with tolerances was way too stiff and through the whole balance of the car off. Didn't drive right but the 85A works for me. Correction, the factory coding was 105A not 120A. 120A makes the steering a tad more quicker and lighter.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      09-29-2022, 05:17 PM   #116
brakthru
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Sure. You have the protool app. I'm not sure how to use esys. Lowering to 85A increases the firmness in all adaptive modes and is the most noticeable in Sport+ of course. I'll attach screen shots of the options in protool. I'll try to get some screen shots of DSC options I played around with later. Both the steering and DSC options made the car more sporty and I can power through corners quicker and more stable now. But, it will depend on your setup and preferences as to how it feels to you. You just click on steering, edit coding and max current. 85A with tolerances was way too stiff and through the whole balance of the car off. Didn't drive right but the 85A works for me. Correction, the factory coding was 105A not 120A. 120A makes the steering a tad more quicker and lighter.
One more screenshot for steering.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-29-2022, 05:53 PM   #117
brakthru
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
One more screenshot for steering.
DSC screenshots. There's tons of options here and will take some exerimenting to see what you like.
1. DSC_codierdaten_allgemein, I changed the option c_funktion_ccc_dsc_ekr from disabled to enabled. It increased a more dynamic feel and firmed car up a bit. Together with the other options I'm about to mention increases this behavior and balance of car. It did seem to cause a little more wheel spin powering through corners but you can control it. Sport + the car powers out of corners fast.

2. DSC_codierdaten_lieferant_conti, i changed options, c_AMR_1_c and c_AMR_2_c to a coding status of 2. c_AMR_3_c i left stock at 2. From my testing, it seems AMR1 is for DSC, AMR2 Sport and AMR3 Sport+. Nothing written in stone. This is all based on feel. It feels like the brakes front axle may be activated more on fast tight turns. It also making the car feel stiffer and more solid like the brakes front axle could be pretension or more damping. Probably brakes though. Coding with higher numbers, the car feels more soft and loose. Lower number the reverse effect.

I also changed c_TCS3_c to 1 which lowered some of the braking assistance with lane changes. Higher number on this one makes the car transition quicker and firmer feel. This helped me sense the above options stiffened the feel.

Last, I changed C_Lampe_ASC_c to a 1. It says anti power hop. I found it reduced the braking intervention a little and made the car feel soft with lower numbers but I think I may feel a little more power. tweak as needed to find the sweet spot for your setup. Most of this stuff is probably braking and power adjustments. I doubt dampers are effected.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0