THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum How to Pass inspection with high flow downpipe and tune in NJ

09-21-2022, 03:51 PM   #1
ClassicWill
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i Convertible RWD

How to Pass inspection with high flow downpipe and tune in NJ

Hello, I recently went for an inspection with m235i, which has a tune and high flow downpipe, and they failed me. I checked the report and it seems to be that their system now checks the sensors and since mine are codded to be turned off they saw that and failed the inspection. I live in central NJ and wondering what to do. Thanks.
Tune: Bootmod3
Downpipe: Wagner High flow downpipe
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2022, 04:40 PM   #2
bcwalks2
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i & 2018 X3 M40i

Do they sniff the exhaust where you are at? If so, you won’t be able to pass.

If they don’t do a sniff and only plug in to the OBD2, you will need to make sure the systems are in a ready state. Here in IL, they allow for two systems to be “not ready”. In my case for my high flow CAT I use a scanner tool and clear all codes. I then drive as normal and continue to scan until all the emission systems say “ready”. Once I have all of them but 1 or 2 saying ready, I take it in for emissions. Just did this recently and passed.

I get an intermittent CEL with mine and then clear it. I would check with your emission folks and see how many systems can be “not ready”. You will also need to turn off the bypass you have with the BM3.

Again, this is all assuming they don’t do a sniff test. If they do a sniff, you’re f*cked. I pull up to my emission place with my exhaust REEKING and still pass.
2016 M235i Mineral Gray/Coral Red
2018 X3 M40i Alpine White/Black - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2022, 02:24 PM   #3
WolfGTI
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F22,15 E84 M Sport,02 R53

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [0.00]
2002 MINI Cooper S  [0.00]
2015 BMW X1  [0.00]
I went for an inspection with my M240i in January at the state inspection facility -I passed with no problem, I don't turn off my sensors. I throw no codes - I have BM3 stg2 and a AA catted hiflow dp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicwilly View Post
Hello, I recently went for an inspection with m235i, which has a tune and high flow downpipe, and they failed me. I checked the report and it seems to be that their system now checks the sensors and since mine are codded to be turned off they saw that and failed the inspection. I live in central NJ and wondering what to do. Thanks.
Ohlins R&T coilovers, Turner monoball thrust arms, F87 LCAs, GC camber plates, Superpro subframe bushings, Megan Racing adj. RCAs, delrin differential bushings. Stoptech BBK 6 piston (f) 4 piston (r).

Last edited by WolfGTI; 10-31-2023 at 06:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2022, 09:25 AM   #4
WolfGTI
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F22,15 E84 M Sport,02 R53

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [0.00]
2002 MINI Cooper S  [0.00]
2015 BMW X1  [0.00]
I replied to your dm.
Ohlins R&T coilovers, Turner monoball thrust arms, F87 LCAs, GC camber plates, Superpro subframe bushings, Megan Racing adj. RCAs, delrin differential bushings. Stoptech BBK 6 piston (f) 4 piston (r).

Last edited by WolfGTI; 09-23-2022 at 09:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2022, 11:10 AM   #5
TrboMike
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M240ix

NJ has two ways to get an inspection sticker: the free state inspection stations, or at a private garage/mechanic.

At the state there are no more safety inspections (broken taillight, cracked windshield etc) only two emissions tests. First they will plug into your ODB2 port where the state computer "asks" your car ECU if it has performed the emissions tests and if the car passed those tests. Assuming you dont have a "fail" or "not performed" (ie: recent battery disconnect) you go to test 2. If your factory ECU passes the emissions checks it tells the state computer all it good, or if you have a chip or illegal code that will tell everything is tested and passed, you're also good to go. Test 2: visual inspection, your car is driven over cameras that record what your catalytic converter looks like. The machine shows a picture of a factory cat next to the video of your car's underside and if the cat looks like a cat, you pass. Aftermarket cats are allowed but they must be in the factory location (locations if you have more than one like a Subie) and look similar to a cat (no fat silencers that are not really a cat etc). If your car looks and sounds normal, your two tests are done and you get a sticker. If your car looks modded, they sometimes will pop the hood and look for your EGR or oil accumulator to see if you have any illegal emissions under the hood (happens to my modded Eclipse all the time).

If you go to a private garage I believe you pay $50 to $75. You may have a friendly mechanic who knows you who will overlook a visual inspection as long as you pass the plug in he will put a sticker on your car. However the mechanic who doesnt know you and is looking for extra work for his shop can fail you for non emission things like low brake pads, bald tires, cracked windshield, broken tail, etc.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2023, 08:54 AM   #6
ChiefSif
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M240 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicWill View Post
Hi, I also live in Central Jersey and need the inspection done soon. What was your solution to this? I am also on BM3 with custom tune that has CEL deactivated and Wagner high flow cat
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2023, 07:31 PM   #7
Resoelg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2 ZV-Blue

Garage List
24 G87  [10.00]
Like everything else, you gotta know a guy...if it was in PA...I gotta guy.
Appreciate 0