THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum I don't know what I got... M235i 6SP

09-21-2022, 07:33 PM   #1
DeeJay520
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235 6SP

Garage List
2015 M235  [0.00]
I don't know what I got... M235i 6SP

What's up y'all.

I live in a city where I don't need a car. I don't use the car to commute so my car stays parked outdoors and I drive it on the weekends sometimes.

During the pandemic renting cars was difficult, so I decided to buy an older BMW 135i beater to mod up and play with. Next thing I know I bought a 2015 M235 that was in very good shape but had 100k miles on it.

I have had it for a year and I have added VRSF Catless DP, intercooler and charge pipe, and MHD Tune.

Originally I didn't want to spend 50k+ on an M2/M3/M4, but now that I have it and am using it more than I thought I would, I wish I had spent the extra.

SO here is the question(s)

Am I better to sell my car with the mods in place, or put the factory parts back on and part out the mods (except the charge pipe), and then buy an M car

or

Spend the money on eLSD and suspension mods on the car I have. No matter what I do to the car it's still going to be a 100k+ mile car, but it has been well maintained and hasn't had any problems. Yet.

The car now has 111,000 miles. It will come with the original wheels with TPMs AND a set of Niche 18x8.5 wheels and tires with TPMs

Name:  PXL_20220710_183202434.jpg
Views: 437
Size:  502.6 KB
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2022, 09:30 PM   #2
Nickies
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M240I

This is a lot of mileage for a car you don't seem to have the history. I would not invest anymore. Just my opinion.
2019 M240i, Melbourne Red, Black Interior. 3M Tint, Premium Package, Harman Kardon, Adaptive LED Head Lights, M Performance Exhaust and Diffuser, Chrome Exhaust Tips, 719M Bi Color Wheels, Black Kidney Grille, Burger Tuning JB+.
Appreciate 1
Cos270608.50
      09-22-2022, 07:59 AM   #3
Ajowhan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m240i 'vert

It looks like to me you got bitten by the mod bugs, once you do, you will be looking to spend and to mods. At that high a mileage, I would rather start with a young blood and mods from there, that way at least you know you have that many more years of trouble free. Just my 2C
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2022, 08:48 AM   #4
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2

Keeping the mods on your car, or removing when you sell, would depend on if your buyer sees value in them. Also, would you be pulling them off yourself easily and be able to sell them to get some cash back? I'd think that with a high mileage car someone wouldn't expect to have any warranty left so they would be more open to having those mods stay with the car.

As for your 2nd question, I'd compare the costs of keeping your car, adding the LSD and suspension mods plus the anticipated maintenance costs vs getting into a newer M car. And with a newer M car you will be modding that thing too.

Personally I would opt for the lower mileage and newer vehicle option. I'm planning to order the new M2 this fall after spending about $7500 in mods on my 2019 M240i since I bought it in Feb of 2021. I should be able to sell my car for what I bought it for, maybe a couple grand more. I won't get my mod money back though which shouldn't be expected anyways.
      09-22-2022, 10:09 AM   #5
atek
I like biscuits
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw m235i

I'll come from the other perspective, because that's what I do.

Higher mileage sports cars are better for mods because you don't have to worry about warranty or resale. If it breaks, you fix it better than before and keep at it, if that's your fancy. These cars are still relatively untouched at higher miles, (as in there aren't that many past 100k yet) so it could very well still have another 100k left in it and we just don't know because most of the customer base are older gentleman who like to play it safe.

If you just want a fun car to drive occasionally, and don't want to worry about fixing it, then a lower mileage car with a warranty may be your friend.

Really just comes down to your goal. You started off by saying you don't need a car and got a car to build as a project for fun. Then do just that.
Appreciate 1
celsdogg323.00
      09-22-2022, 10:47 AM   #6
Jelly_Belly
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: F22 M235i

Why do you want an M car? Is it for the extra performance? Because it's flashy? No offense but based off your description it seems like you don't drive the car hard aside from pulls up and down the boulevard. Which Is fine I guess. But if your looking for value, the n55 with the bolt ons you have should be enough for your everyday use.

Why spend money on suspension and an LSD if the car is never gonna see a track?

However, if you ARE gonna track it. Then the m235i should be more than enough car for you to learn your way around your local track.

I think if your gonna keep the car. Instead of doing the suspension. Get your bearings changed asap your mileage is pretty high and my n55 spun the bearings at 60k. So your in the dangerzone considering you have no history on the car.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2022, 12:30 PM   #7
Cos270
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Garage List
2015 F22 M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly_Belly View Post
Why do you want an M car? Is it for the extra performance? Because it's flashy? No offense but based off your description it seems like you don't drive the car hard aside from pulls up and down the boulevard. Which Is fine I guess. But if your looking for value, the n55 with the bolt ons you have should be enough for your everyday use.

Why spend money on suspension and an LSD if the car is never gonna see a track?

However, if you ARE gonna track it. Then the m235i should be more than enough car for you to learn your way around your local track.

I think if your gonna keep the car. Instead of doing the suspension. Get your bearings changed asap your mileage is pretty high and my n55 spun the bearings at 60k. So your in the dangerzone considering you have no history on the car.
Out of curiosity, under what circumstances did you spin a bearing?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2022, 01:39 PM   #8
MLJR235
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235I

DeeJay520

" I wish I had spent the extra." Not being rude in any sense but you kind of answered your own question.

You will never be truly happy even if you build out your 235. You want an M car and it's understandable.

My honest suggestion, part out any aftermarket parts and get an M series. You will have inner piece knowing you are driving what makes YOU happy.

Just keep in mind M cars will come with a heavier cost of ownership bill and probably higher insurance too.

M2C or M4 should do you nicely if 2 doors is what you're after. Best of luck
      09-22-2022, 06:16 PM   #9
DeeJay520
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235 6SP

Garage List
2015 M235  [0.00]
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickies View Post
This is a lot of mileage for a car you don't seem to have the history. I would not invest anymore. Just my opinion.
Sorry, I wasn't clear. I do have all of the history and receipts from the previous owner. The car was well maintained with regular oil changes, and scheduled maintenance, but "miles is miles" I suppose

Prior to my purchase the car was never tracked or engine modified and was driven primarily on the highway and garage kept.

It was however driven in a northern state, The paint and interior are virtually flawless
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2022, 01:14 AM   #10
Jelly_Belly
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: F22 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cos270 View Post
Out of curiosity, under what circumstances did you spin a bearing?
Engine seized as I was merging onto the highway. Happened 3 weeks after I took ownership of the car from a major dealership in my area.

The matter was settled out of court. Seems like the cause wad neglect from the previous owner.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2022, 04:29 AM   #11
levelbm
Banned
Rep
Drives: m5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeJay520 View Post
What's up y'all.

I live in a city where I don't need a car. I don't use the car to commute so my car stays parked outdoors and I drive it on the weekends sometimes.

During the pandemic renting cars was difficult, so I decided to buy an older BMW 135i beater to mod up and play with. Next thing I know I bought a 2015 M235 that was in very good shape but had 100k miles on it.

I have had it for a year and I have added VRSF Catless DP, intercooler and charge pipe, and MHD Tune.

Originally I didn't want to spend 50k+ on an M2/M3/M4, but now that I have it and am using it more than I thought I would, I wish I had spent the extra.

SO here is the question(s)

Am I better to sell my car with the mods in place, or put the factory parts back on and part out the mods (except the charge pipe), and then buy an M car

or

Spend the money on eLSD and suspension mods on the car I have. No matter what I do to the car it's still going to be a 100k+ mile car, but it has been well maintained and hasn't had any problems. Yet.

The car now has 111,000 miles. It will come with the original wheels with TPMs AND a set of Niche 18x8.5 wheels and tires with TPMs

Attachment 2988754
The car is nice thou .
Mileage does not matter
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2022, 05:47 AM   #12
Shovelman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 230i

Warranty on a modified car is not something to count on and in any case it goes away in a few years. Maintenance costs could be low or high regardless of age but depreciation cost is higher for newer cars, so if cost is a major driver for you then keep it.

As to selling it with performance mods, that means finding a special buyer. It may be better to remove them and maybe sell or reuse them. Not normally a selling point.
Appreciate 0