THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Tracking / Autocrossing New Guy - 228i MSport for autox, track, street

09-17-2022, 02:06 PM   #23
JamesWilson
2014 228i MSport N20 ZF8
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 228i MSport

Ordered a pair of front wheels on eBay, I'll keep searching for cheap wheels so I can have another set without dumping $$ before this next huge recession. I'll consider a square setup if it makes sense, overpowering the rear with tires that are too big won't help anyone, and I didn't really have wheelspin issues last event but it was also on a small lot, and being smooth was more important than lurid slides. I'll get back into it the right way. I still have the option of co-driving my old H-Street car, so there's that.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2022, 02:42 AM   #24
LanceM26
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i, BMW M240iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanuKeeyes View Post
Congrats on the car, you’re going to have a lot of fun with it, I’m sure. A few thoughts:

I love the Billys I have on my old BMW but I’ve heard conflicting things regarding their performance and ride quality on our chassis. I would take your time and read through some threads here as a lot of it has been discussed at length.

If it’s a daily and occasional track machine, the M Performance Suspension by BMW (33-50-2-320-928) for $725, lowers the car about 20mm with stiffer spring rates and slightly more aggressive valving, good rebound, and is a significant improvement over the base suspension. It should handle occasional track days and backroads well when paired with a good performance tire.

However, you’ll want some negative camber adjustment up front as there is basically none on our cars stock. You could get a set of coilovers with built-in camber plates or get a set of street camber plates that can be used with any suspension. I opted for Millway street plates with about -2.5 degrees adjustability with the OEM M-adaptive suspension. You can get close to -2 in the rear without any aftermarket mods. I love it. Rides great on street and saves tires at the track.

If you forgo camber adjustability, I wouldn’t recommend doing many track days without dedicated rubber with a good deal of durable sidewall like an RT660, RS4 or other 200tw tire..

You might want to consider skipping sway bars at first as they are a PITA$$ to swap out on the 2-series and there’s tons of performance to extract from the stock ones.

For wheels/tires, a few of us here opted for the TR Motorsport wheels from TireRack in 17x8 ET40 size and run square setup 245/40/17 200tw tires for track days without rubbing the fenders. You can setup a package like this for about $1,500 all-in with TPMS installed. The blue M sport brakes will fit with this setup as well.

I don’t know your budget but if you’re somewhat conservative like me, this is what I would do:

1. M Sport Blue calipers / good pads
2. Wheels / tires - a good summer performance tire, something with a stiff sidewall that can take some punishment without falling apart. If you’re planning a lot of track/ autox days, spring for something like the RT660, RS4 — something that won’t kill you if it rains on your commute and will hold up on track.
3. Alignment
4. Go have some fun. Assess how it feels
5. Maybe Coilovers or BMW M suspension with camber plates then fresh alignment.
6. Now really have some fun

Hope this helps
Go try the koni sport shocks, good price for what you get!
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2022, 08:04 AM   #25
JamesWilson
2014 228i MSport N20 ZF8
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 228i MSport

Had fun yesterday but with a smaller course with tighter aggregate surface, was challenging on the Michelins. First time experiencing a kind of ice mode with ABS, I need to learn how to get off the brakes earlier and sort that out. Considering Falken RT660 sooner than later. I also need to learn how to manually shift the transmission, it was hunting or delaying depending on what I was doing under braking on this smaller course. Overall, had fun though it was super hot out. Looking forward to seeing what the car is capable of.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2023, 05:32 PM   #26
Nativo
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i THP Blk Saphire Meta

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesWilson View Post
First autocross was great, car feels really balanced with the big front sway bar (on full soft) and the Michelin tires. I think I'd only replace tires and brakes with something with a little better bite, and keep it in this config.

Will likely try 245/40-18 front and 265/35-18 rear Falken RT660 if they can fit the fronts without rubbing.

Was about a second off the top D Street cars including former National Champion. Not bad for first time out.
Do you mind sharing what tire pressures worked best for you?
Appreciate 0