THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics DIY and Coding Discussions Definitive Guide to recode/remove S5AP and S8S4

01-09-2021, 06:51 AM   #1
amutti
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 Convertible M240i Xdrive

Definitive Guide to recode/remove S5AP and S8S4

So I've found all kinds of stuff on the internet on how to reverse Decoding, Variable Light Distribution and Decoding Anti-Glare High-Beam Assistant. None of it is super straightforward, some seems contradictory, and there is a lot of back and forth about if North American cars have the correct equipment. Let's not have debate as to whether the car has the correct equipment (though I like the argument, why would it be decoded if it couldn't do it), has anyone successfully recoded it? Is there a straightforward guide somewhere? My fully equipped M240i will be delivered to me next weekend and both have been decoded. This is one of the mods I'm interested in doing.
Appreciate 1
      01-11-2021, 10:39 AM   #2
amutti
Private First Class
Rep

Bumping this. I can't believe no one has done this....
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 07:32 PM   #3
CKr
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 1998 E36 M3

This isn't likely the answer you were hoping for, but the short answer to your question is: nobody knows. You're finding a lot of conflicting information because no one has been able to confirm, with 100% certainty, that "no-glare high beam"/"anti-dazzle" works 100% as intended by BMW on North American/US-spec vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 09:25 PM   #4
amutti
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKr View Post
This isn't likely the answer you were hoping for, but the short answer to your question is: nobody knows. You're finding a lot of conflicting information because no one has been able to confirm, with 100% certainty, that "no-glare high beam"/"anti-dazzle" works 100% as intended by BMW on North American/US-spec vehicles.
All good. I don't mind messing around a bit. Perhaps I'll stumble on to it
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 11:03 PM   #5
CKr
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 1998 E36 M3

The following Bimmercode instructions have been documented many times in other threads, but here's what I have in my notes, based on my own findings (again, no different than what others have found) via VO coding with E-Sys:

For LCI cars equipped with adaptive LEDs removing 8S4 (decoding VLD) from the vehicle order (abbreviated as "VO") modifies two settings in FEM_BODY:
  • C_AFS_ENA
  • LUT_FLC_FORWARDLIGHTING_Y
while removing 5AP (decoding of anti-dazzle) modifies one additional setting in FEM_BODY:
  • C_HBA_ENA

You can modify all three of these settings with Bimmercode, so there's no need to use E-sys to do the coding. Disclaimer: I can't help you if you run into issues with Bimmercode.

First, connect to car and enter expert mode
  1. Using an iPhone, open Bimmercode and connect to your car
  2. Scroll down and tap Front Electronic Module
  3. Tap Expert mode at the bottom of the screen
  4. Scroll down and tap 3073 LaMaster1

Second, enable VLD

First we'll enable C_AFS_ENA
  1. Scroll down and tap C_AFS_ENA
  2. Tap F020_enable (0x01) - you might also find that F030_enable (0x01) was automatically checked, this is expected.
  3. Tap < to go up one level
Second we'll enable LUT_FLC_FORWARDLIGHTING_Y
  1. Scroll down and tap LUT_FLC_FORWARDLIGHTING_Y
  2. Tap F020_mit_AFS You'll see 0x9C 0x9C 0x9C below F020_mit_AFS

Third, enable anti-dazzle
  1. Scroll down and tap C_HBA_ENA
  2. Tap F020_enable (0x01) - you might also find that F030_enable (0x01) was automatically checked, this is expected.

Finally, code to car
  1. Tap Code
Note that some older instructions will also tell you to enable C_HBA_ADAPT_SHUT_ENA, but I've found that this setting is not modified when VO coding or coding the car with Euro settings. This settings is likely used for the older adaptive HID headlights. With that said, you can enable this setting if you like, it does not seem to throw any errors.

Again, nobody has been able to confirm that anti-dazzle behaves correctly on LCI vehicles equipped with adaptive LEDs.

How do I know if the coding worked?

To verify that VLD is enabled:
  • Start your car's engine and turn on headlights using the automatic setting
  • Put your car in drive, you should see your left beam pan to the left
  • Put your car in reverse, you should see your left beam pan toward the right
For a manual transmission, putting the car in reverse causes the left headlight to pan right, and taking the car out of reverse causes the left headlight to pan left.

Last edited by CKr; 06-21-2021 at 11:36 AM..
Appreciate 5
amutti83.50
Poochie9099.00
jordan24c128.00
      01-16-2021, 09:12 PM   #6
amutti
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
The following Bimmercode instructions have been documented many times in other threads, but here's what I have in my notes, based on my own findings (again, no different than what others have found) via VO coding with E-Sys:

For LCI cars equipped with adaptive LEDs removing 8S4 (VLD) from the vehicle order modifies two settings in FEM_BODY:
  • C_AFS_ENA
while removing 5AP (anti-dazzle) modifies one additional setting in FEM_BODY:
  • C_HBA_ENA

You can modify all three of these settings with Bimmercode, so there's no need to use E-sys to do the coding. Disclaimer: I can't help you if you run into issues with Bimmercode.

Second, enable VLD

Finally, code to car
  1. Tap Code
Note that some older instructions will also tell you to enable C_HBA_ADAPT_SHUT_ENA, but I've found that this setting is not modified when VO coding or coding the car with Euro settings. This settings is likely used for the older adaptive HID headlights. With that said, you can enable this setting if you like, it does not seem to throw any errors.

Again, nobody has been able to confirm that anti-dazzle behaves correctly on LCI vehicles equipped with adaptive LEDs.

For a manual transmission, putting the car in reverse causes the left headlight to pan right, and taking the car out of reverse causes the left headlight to pan left.
Well... the light move as described now... we'll see. Thanks!
Appreciate 1
      01-21-2021, 11:24 AM   #7
f22b58
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

Different part numbers for the adaptive headlights according to RealOEM; USA vs Europe. When I had HBA coded they did not adapt as advertised. I had a full size truck pull over that I was following on a country road.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 01:57 PM   #8
amutti
Private First Class
Rep

I'm not sure if the tunneling is working correctly. Pretty hard to tell if your the one behind. What I absolutely have observed is the left HB turning off and the right one pivoting to the right when there was a car in the oncoming lane. It happened more than a dozen times Sunday night.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2021, 01:11 AM   #9
Rick.Null
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 2 series

Quote:
Originally Posted by amutti View Post
I'm not sure if the tunneling is working correctly. Pretty hard to tell if your the one behind. What I absolutely have observed is the left HB turning off and the right one pivoting to the right when there was a car in the oncoming lane. It happened more than a dozen times Sunday night.
I have a 2018 F23 M240xi US Spec car. I coded as per the above instructions and can confirm what you said above. The left HB dipped while the right one remained when there was a car in an oncoming lane.

I will see if I can test tunneling as well tomorrow evening and post results.

Thanks for starting this thread!
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2021, 06:29 PM   #10
PurpleFunkMan
The Bandleader
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i

Hey all! Any updates? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2021, 10:45 AM   #11
amutti
Private First Class
Rep

I can only confirm what I've already stated. At certain speeds the left high beam ducks out for oncoming traffic and the right pivots a bit to the right. I can also see the beam moving based on speed and and if there are people in front of me. I can't confirm that it's working "correctly" but it's doing something and I like it better than having it turned off.

Hope that helps.
Appreciate 1
      02-12-2021, 01:07 PM   #12
PurpleFunkMan
The Bandleader
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by amutti View Post
I can only confirm what I've already stated. At certain speeds the left high beam ducks out for oncoming traffic and the right pivots a bit to the right. I can also see the beam moving based on speed and and if there are people in front of me. I can't confirm that it's working "correctly" but it's doing something and I like it better than having it turned off.

Hope that helps.
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2021, 01:52 PM   #13
cowymo
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M440i XD

Garage List
Will the VLD code work for a 2020 M240 without adaptive LED? Mine is just the regular LED headlight.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2021, 02:32 PM   #14
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowymo View Post
Will the VLD code work for a 2020 M240 without adaptive LED? Mine is just the regular LED headlight.
My understanding is that VLD uses both the vertical and horizontal headlight movement that the adaptive lights have, whereas the non-adaptive only have vertical (leveling) capability, so it won't work.
Appreciate 1
cowymo49.50
      07-01-2021, 12:28 AM   #15
caronk
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW F31 328d xDrive

Garage List
I've got a 2016 F31 with the adaptive LED package and all the drivers assistance stuff, so I should be able to turn on Anti-Dazzle. However when I go into bimmercode and attempt to change C_AFS_ENA & C_HBA_ENA the value changes while I'm in the window but if I go back to it it's reverted back to what it originally was. The only one that doesn't revert to it's value is LUT_FLC_FORWARDLIGHTING_Y. Any idea why it'd be doing this?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2021, 11:21 AM   #16
amutti
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by caronk View Post
I've got a 2016 F31 with the adaptive LED package and all the drivers assistance stuff, so I should be able to turn on Anti-Dazzle. However when I go into bimmercode and attempt to change C_AFS_ENA & C_HBA_ENA the value changes while I'm in the window but if I go back to it it's reverted back to what it originally was. The only one that doesn't revert to it's value is LUT_FLC_FORWARDLIGHTING_Y. Any idea why it'd be doing this?
I've had Bimmercode act up and not display changes before. I assume you've tried a few times? Cycled the app and the car between tries (kill the app and completely turn off car)?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2021, 12:22 PM   #17
caronk
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW F31 328d xDrive

Garage List
Yeah I tried selecting it several times, moving to the next and going back to the previous and every time the default was selected for C_AFS_ENA & C_HBA_ENA. When I coded it my headlights flashed once. Couldn't tell at first because my lights usually move some when I start up at night, however after I got on the road I realized it was working. Dims left side when oncoming traffic approaches and seems to tunnel around people in front of me. Haven't had anyone flip me off or flash their lights at me and I run it anytime the headlights are one.

I hate having to press the Auto high-beam button every single time I start the car. Every other car I've driven that has Auto high-beams has an option somewhere in infotainment/instrument cluster or a physical button you can enable so that when automatic headlights are on so are auto high-beams.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2021, 10:24 PM   #18
Velocifero
Meat Popcicle
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 xDrive35d xLine

Quote:

For LCI cars equipped with adaptive LEDs removing 8S4 (decoding VLD) from the vehicle order (abbreviated as "VO") modifies two settings in FEM_BODY:
  • C_AFS_ENA
while removing 5AP (decoding of anti-dazzle) modifies one additional setting in FEM_BODY:
  • C_HBA_ENA

Second, enable VLD

Finally, code to car
  1. Tap Code

Just wanted to let you know these steps helped me do this on my F15 X5. Thank you! I've copied them over and adapted them for that model: https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...20&postcount=3
Appreciate 1
CKr27.00
      04-29-2022, 10:18 AM   #19
WordOnRoad
Captain
Rep
Drives: E70/F80

Reviving this thread hoping to get some info.

I have a 2015 F80 with all the necessary options to code this in, but when in Expert Mode on Bimmercode, some of the values are different. F020 appears as well as F030 (would also love to know what these values actually mean).

Any guidance is appreciated! Would by psyched to get this going.

https://f10.m5post.com/forums/showpo...9&postcount=66
IG: 475_f80

Last edited by WordOnRoad; 04-29-2022 at 10:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2022, 09:25 AM   #20
jzeiler4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M240i xDrive vert

For the F22/F23 community I keep seeing that the PN for the Euro market head lights are different from the USA version. Having heard that I decided to research this a bit more by drilling down in Real OEM. What I found was the actual light generating modules on the headlights are the exact same PN between the USA and Euro versions of the lights so this should work.

I did some limited testing on my car in the Smoky Mountains in October that resulted in only one flash back from an on coming car out 30 or so that passed by me with the high beams engaged. The flash back was near the crest of a hill so that could contribute to some glare the system did not counter. I still would like to find a foggy night to really "see" the results.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2022, 05:39 AM   #21
amutti
Private First Class
Rep

So I've been running this for a while and I can confirm the headlights dynamically dip (the left high beam turns off and the right turns to the outside edge of the road) for oncoming traffic. When traffic is in front of me I've seen both lights pivot to the right and left to create a cone.

Yes, I have had some oncoming traffic over that time flash their lights at me when the auto high beams are enabled. However, I've had people on the same roads flash their lights when they are not enabled and high beams are off, so I find that inconclusive.

I don't know how to tell if they are reacting "exactly" like a factory programmed light, especially with no experience driving a car in Europe with them enabled. I'm sure some experienced coder knows, but I've yet to find it in any forum. For me, they are better than not having them enabled. They work better than me manually doing it.
Appreciate 1
jzeiler4318.50
      03-20-2023, 06:49 AM   #22
gmarch
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Quote:

In my 2020 M2C, Bimmercode (Android) has F030 and F020. I can only select one. Which one should be selected?
Appreciate 0