THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB Preventative maintenance on a new to me garaged M235i?

05-20-2020, 11:59 PM   #1
Nanoshpole
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Preventative maintenance on a new to me garaged M235i?

Purchased a 2015 M235i last August with 8,500 miles on it which as of today is up to 16,000 as my daily.

So far ive had no issue what so ever but im wanting to start focusing on any preventative maintenance i should consider for a completely stock car this old with little to no mileage.

So my question is what preventative measure would you suggest i have done?

Some history/details on the car
- No warranty (4k for 36,000 miles/3 years was best i got offered but decided to just put the money into an emergency fund for any repairs)
- First owner (im 2nd) was military which is why it was rarely driven
- Car has spent most of its life in central Texas which is where i also am
- Original tires and battery already on my list to be replaced
- I have checked for any codes and all clear

Any advice/suggestions appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 09:54 AM   #2
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Synthetic lubricants (i.e., oil, transmission fluid, differential fluid) wear out from usage, and not time. I'd have the battery tested as it's 5 years old. Now, because of your climate it will likely be ok, not as good as new, but ok. Tires? Go to www.tirerack.com for research. My tires: Michelin PSS.

Nice buy, btw!
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 08:08 AM   #3
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Join the BMWCCA and ask Mike Miller. He's the guru for what wears out via age vs. mileage. The club discount on parts/svc would probably pay for the membership. I know you will want new brake fluid and coolant, and hoping that you already replaced oil/filter at purchase, and at least once more. If it was sitting outside in TX then you probably need to focus at least as much effort on restoring/rejuvenating the interior and weather seals - they take a real beating from the UV/heat.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 08:28 AM   #4
cooolone2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 20' M240iX B58, 01' 330XI E46

Preventative maintenance should have been done once recieved. That said... As suggested, the BMWCCA is a worthwhile investment and the recommended maintenance cycle by the aforementioned member is well respected and agreed upon. But it's even simpler before you get to the maintenance cycles. Give the entire car a once over. Check everything, then replace all fluids, check belts, hoses, flush coolant, same for brake fluid. Replace filters, check brake pad/rotors, struts, etc., Pull a plug or two and check them as well. Even though low mileage, it's aged, so things do degrade. Other than that, at 16k miles, just enjoy the ride
Appreciate 0