THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB wrong fuel

01-31-2020, 03:40 PM   #1
lootman1221
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

wrong fuel

today one of my biggest pet peeves happened as i wasnt paying attention. being that i live in new jersey, i dont pump my own gas. normally i watch the gas attendant as they put fuel in my tank, but today when i requested 93, the guy put in 87 and by the time i noticed it was to late and i had a full tank. i saw the mistake and he apologized which doesnt do me much good, but he did put in the octane booster fluid which im not sure howmuch that will help. but my main concern is howmuch damage can this cause in my m235? i have wagner intercooler, down pipes, intake and normal bolt ons. once i noticed the mistake of fuel i instantly switched from map 2 to map 4 on my jb4 iphone app. should i be freaking out over this one time mistake?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 04:36 PM   #2
grocerylist
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Garage List
2016 BMW M235i  [0.00]
I don't know what map 4 is but if you map to a stock tune it will be fine.
Appreciate 1
      01-31-2020, 05:07 PM   #3
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

I thought they recommend only using 1/3 gas pedal travel (if your really paranoid) while using up the 87.

Also, it's not unheard of for gas storage tanks to be mislabeled with wrong octane or with crap fuel and cars can handle it.
Appreciate 1
      01-31-2020, 11:58 PM   #4
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lootman1221 View Post
today one of my biggest pet peeves happened as i wasnt paying attention. being that i live in new jersey, i dont pump my own gas. normally i watch the gas attendant as they put fuel in my tank, but today when i requested 93, the guy put in 87 and by the time i noticed it was to late and i had a full tank. i saw the mistake and he apologized which doesnt do me much good, but he did put in the octane booster fluid which im not sure howmuch that will help. but my main concern is howmuch damage can this cause in my m235? i have wagner intercooler, down pipes, intake and normal bolt ons. once i noticed the mistake of fuel i instantly switched from map 2 to map 4 on my jb4 iphone app. should i be freaking out over this one time mistake?
Just don't push the car hard and then at half tank just refill with higher octane...

the car is smart enough to change timing depending on fuel
Appreciate 1
      02-02-2020, 05:08 PM   #5
lootman1221
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

thanks for the response guys. i do like to treat my car very well so unfortunately it made me very paranoid. id imagine one tank wouldnt to much harm. but from jb4 website heres the info for the tune - as stated i switched to map 4 immediately and have not used much throttle

Map 0: JB4 disabled
Map 1: Additive target, around 4psi over stock.
Map 2: Additive target, around 6psi over stock. Suggested for those with 93 octane and bolt on modifications. Also good for small E85 mixtures.
Map 3: Progressive WMI mapping.
Map 4: Stock performance with JB4 active for logging only.
Map 5: Autotuning map, absolute target of 11-17psi based on octane and conditions.
Map 6: User definable absolute target map. Suggested for troubleshooting by professionals only.
Map 7: Race gas map. Absolute target of 18.5psi. Requires straight unleaded race gas.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2020, 09:11 AM   #6
cooolone2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 20' M240iX B58, 01' 330XI E46

I would be more concerned with the junk octane booster he dumped in the tank... Was it leaded? If so, could do more damage than running 87, to O2 sensors and Cat. Just saying...

As noted, drive it like Grandma, or if you're really worried, get a 5 gallon container and syphon as much as you can out, replace with highest octane you can get rather than run it through system. But if you don't go WOT you'll be ok. Think and visualize an egg between your foot and accelerator, lol
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 08:33 AM   #7
RMNB
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 440xi CPE BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lootman1221 View Post
OP you're fine. Probably by now the 87 didn't reduce your performance very much so get back to 93. No damage will be done but BMW's like 93 to run optimally. I've done it before and I noticed the car ran like crap for a bit. All good now though.
Appreciate 0