THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N20 (228i) / B46 (230i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning N26 Cooling and Tuning Questions

06-12-2020, 06:30 PM   #1
CallMeDan_Thanks
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 228i xDrive

Question N26 Cooling and Tuning Questions

Hello!

Slowly learning and modding as I go and this place has been a HUGE help, so thank you in advance!

Current mods are:
-Muffler delete (if that can be called a mod)
-Injen CAI
-BMW Stage 1 piggyback

Future Mods:
Charge pipe
Intercooler

Only a few questions... probably really stupid...
1. Can you put too big of an intake on here? I was considering the 6.5" from VRSF. If that's overkill though I won't get it.
2. If I do the intercooler should I just buy a charge pipe right away to go with it?
3. At what point will the BMS Stage 1 piggyback not be enough and it has to be taken somewhere to have manual tuning done?
4. Normal engine oil/coolant temp for N26? I have a hard time finding a definite answer...

Like I said, still super new and learning and loving it as I go along. Working on the car myself is a really great experience and I can't thank everyone enough for the massive amount of info and help I find on here!

Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2020, 12:27 AM   #2
CallMeDan_Thanks
Rep

Bump
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2020, 07:46 AM   #3
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Some of the online sellers have good advice, extreme power house is quite active on these forums. Modding is always a tradeoff, the only things to really avoid are places where you are trading $$$ for bling; otherwise it is almost always trading power or track performance for durability or driveability (and lots of $$$). Your best bet is to find somebody you can trust and discuss the entire project - especially what you plan to do with the car and what you want. You'll get a million versions of 'what I think is cool' and most of them will not get you what you actually want. You've already spent on an item that is renowned for being a very limited return (CAI) and the same goes for charge pipes. Personally, I'm working with the perspective of improving handling and track-durability first; I'm almost never at true full throttle on the street, and on track the car is still faster than I am. You'll notice that BMW starts putting in new internals (rods, pistons, crank) as they try to push 300hp out of these 2.0's, so fair warning that those 'simple' power boosts that come from clicking buttons on a tune can really shorten engine life.

Intake, exhaust, and tuning go hand in hand - bump one too far out of balance to the others and it actually degrades performance, especially street driving that is not at the extremes. Bigger intercoolers can kill throttle response, and are most useful on track (looong periods at high rev/boost and a lot of heat soak) or with serious power enhancement where you are pushing (and heating) much more air. You wont need bigger charge pipes unless you try to push massive additional boost, so they are mainly a preventive maintenance and cosmetic item (I'd probably do them when I did an intercooler just b/c the labor is already there). Usually this is part of a 'package' along with a high flow downpipe and increased level of tune, sometimes with additional fuel delivery needed.
Appreciate 1
      06-15-2020, 07:52 AM   #4
CallMeDan_Thanks
Rep

Thanks Maynard! Really good info. Thanks for the direction!
Appreciate 1
Maynard3804.50
      06-26-2020, 09:06 AM   #5
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

I think you posted the same thread in another section and i responded to it last week. If im wrong please let me know and i will happy post my answers again

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0