THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Buying Advice

09-25-2020, 11:29 AM   #23
GoldfishRT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 228i M-Sport

Kind of suprised at the used market right now. I knew it was inflated by gosh not by that much! In June I bought my car for 15.5 OTD. I think I'd have a much harder time buying a used 228 at 24-25, which is way too close to where M235s were sitting at that point. Crazy.
      09-25-2020, 11:38 AM   #24
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldfishRT View Post
Kind of suprised at the used market right now. I knew it was inflated by gosh not by that much!...Crazy.
The used car market is doing too well! In the period of two weeks very recently, the incentive BMW offered to buy out my 3 year old leased 2018 3 Series just dropped by $3,000. Nicely of them, they honored the better deal ($5,500 discount vs residual) as it had posted with a 9/28 expiration date, but those drops are based on rising wholesale values.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 11:59 AM   #25
leftoverture
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 228i

Quote:
Kind of suprised at the used market right now. I knew it was inflated by gosh not by that much! In June I bought my car for 15.5 OTD. I think I'd have a much harder time buying a used 228 at 24-25, which is way too close to where M235s were sitting at that point. Crazy.
Either your car is not an equivalent car or you got a high mileage car, salvage car, or you got the deal of a lifetime. The wholesale KBB on the car I'm looking at is just under $22k. No way any one is getting out the door on this one for that low. My offer is in, waiting to hear if they accept.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 12:22 PM   #26
4Hockey4
Banned
Rep
Drives: Pinto

I've been poking around over summer for "newer" vert. We have 01' 330ci vert we might replace. I've come across a few deals, low mileage, one owner. I had called about this one last week (surprised still there, but is end of summer), its in NY so you would ship. (think BMW to BMW isnt too bad) You can get under $22K if interested. no promises but $21K is possible IMO. (if your deal doesn't go through)

https://www.wideworldofcarsbmw.com/u...e7f8422e0f.htm
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 12:57 PM   #27
GoldfishRT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 228i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftoverture View Post
Either your car is not an equivalent car or you got a high mileage car, salvage car, or you got the deal of a lifetime. The wholesale KBB on the car I'm looking at is just under $22k. No way any one is getting out the door on this one for that low. My offer is in, waiting to hear if they accept.
Older but no accidents and low miles, but mine's also not an AWD vert which I'm sure commands a premium. Regardless, used cars are expensive right now.

Last edited by GoldfishRT; 09-25-2020 at 01:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 03:15 PM   #28
leftoverture
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Hockey4 View Post
I've been poking around over summer for "newer" vert. We have 01' 330ci vert we might replace. I've come across a few deals, low mileage, one owner. I had called about this one last week (surprised still there, but is end of summer), its in NY so you would ship. (think BMW to BMW isnt too bad) You can get under $22K if interested. no promises but $21K is possible IMO. (if your deal doesn't go through)

https://www.wideworldofcarsbmw.com/u...e7f8422e0f.htm
That is a better deal than I got. I think different regions commend different prices.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 03:23 PM   #29
leftoverture
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Older but no accidents and low miles, but mine's also not an AWD vert which I'm sure commands a premium. Regardless, used cars are expensive right now.
I could not agree more. Way too expensive. And this one is actually going to be my wife's car. Happy wife, happy life, right! We will use it for road trips. I'm looking forward to the fun and to participating here!
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2020, 05:34 AM   #30
High Desert
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 228i X Convert

Quote:
I could not agree more. Way too expensive. And this one is actually going to be my wife's car. Happy wife, happy life, right! We will use it for road trips. I'm looking forward to the fun and to participating here!
Did the same thing-wife's/road trips-this last April. Same model/vert. Something about wives and BMW convertables.

What color?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2020, 06:55 AM   #31
leftoverture
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Desert View Post
Did the same thing-wife's/road trips-this last April. Same model/vert. Something about wives and BMW convertables.

What color?
White with black top and terra brown interior.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2020, 09:47 AM   #32
4Hockey4
Banned
Rep
Drives: Pinto

sweet so you guys got it ? Welcome and enjoy, cars are a blast
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2020, 04:28 PM   #33
High Desert
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
White with black top and terra brown interior.
Nice. Sapphire black with oyster interior.

Something you may want to try: Got the front (bumper assembly) reshot due to road chips. Detailed it out and waxed. Tried some Turtle Wax "Ice seal n Shine" for the wrapped MINI S. Wow! Suppose to last a few months and it appears to work. Did the BMW. Paint looks new.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2020, 04:42 PM   #34
High Desert
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Hockey4 View Post
sweet so you guys got it ? Welcome and enjoy, cars are a blast
Got ours in April. Feels big compared to the MINI but handles perfectly. Just took a drive through the mountains. 85 degrees out-top down-ZZTop full blast-S mode-45 mph through 90 degree turns. Turned heads from a couple of motorcycles going opposite direction. Nothing nicer. Gotta have fun even if you are older than dirt.

Next step paddle shifting. Been a couple of years since I used them at the MINI Motoring School/Thermal. Maybe a few discreet mods.
Appreciate 1
      09-26-2020, 05:32 PM   #35
leftoverture
Captain
United_States
Rep

We picked it up successfully this morning. We spent most of the day driving around the lakes enjoying the fall colors. Quite satisfied with the purchase so far. We hedged our reliability bet with an extended warranty, so if the timing chain issue or the infamous gasket leaks show up, we're covered. Here's my wife getting ready to drive off the lot! (Thanks all for the input!)

Appreciate 4
overcoil3068.50
dradernh4179.00
      09-26-2020, 07:50 PM   #36
High Desert
Private
United_States
Rep

Looks like it was made for her. Congrats.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2020, 08:29 AM   #37
Unicorn123
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i xDrive

Congratulations and best wishes for many years of trouble free motoring!!

Retired (a few of them...), 08 E60 550i 6M, 01 Audi S4, 70 Fiat 124, 88 E28 M5, 72 Datsun 510 2Dr, 73 TR6
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 03:19 PM   #38
msej449
msej449
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M235i Convertible +LSD 2016

Garage List
You've probably already picked this up from othr threads here, or if you''ve had a convertible before, but it's worth stating: do a roof fabric deep clean and re-proof a couple of times a year, depending on how much the car is left outdoors. BMW do fabric cleaner [83122352678] and proofing concentrate [83122298223] which I use, works well, and which has lasted me six treatments.

Also, don't store the roof away for long periods - this can crease the fabric permanently - and generally avoid folding a wet roof away for more than 24h. Basically, the roof is best stored up to keep the fabric stretched.

And worth using a rubber treatment like Gummi Pflege on the roof side rubber to keep it supple.

If you need to clean the roof storage compartment, be aware the hydraulics don't hold the roof up part-folded indefinitely: with the ignition left on I think it'll hold for about 10 minutes, with it off it's about 5 (see the manual). You don't get any warning that the struts are about to start moving.

And while it's unlikely, i would just familiarise myself with the procedure for manually raising and locking the roof, just in case the hydraulics/mechanism ever had a problem (see https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show...php?p=26431633). if you do have a problem with the roof mechanism I'd recommend putting it up, rather than putting it down, even if it's almost completed the down process.

Last edited by msej449; 09-29-2020 at 03:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 06:53 PM   #39
leftoverture
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by msej449 View Post
You've probably already picked this up from othr threads here, or if you''ve had a convertible before, but it's worth stating: do a roof fabric deep clean and re-proof a couple of times a year, depending on how much the car is left outdoors. BMW do fabric cleaner [83122352678] and proofing concentrate [83122298223] which I use, works well, and which has lasted me six treatments.

Also, don't store the roof away for long periods - this can crease the fabric permanently - and generally avoid folding a wet roof away for more than 24h. Basically, the roof is best stored up to keep the fabric stretched.

And worth using a rubber treatment like Gummi Pflege on the roof side rubber to keep it supple.

If you need to clean the roof storage compartment, be aware the hydraulics don't hold the roof up part-folded indefinitely: with the ignition left on I think it'll hold for about 10 minutes, with it off it's about 5 (see the manual). You don't get any warning that the struts are about to start moving.

And while it's unlikely, i would just familiarise myself with the procedure for manually raising and locking the roof, just in case the hydraulics/mechanism ever had a problem (see https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show...php?p=26431633). if you do have a problem with the roof mechanism I'd recommend putting it up, rather than putting it down, even if it's almost completed the down process.
Thank you. I have had a couple convertibles in the past (a Corvette and a Miata) but this is our first BMW and I am very interested in knowing about the BMW products so your post was timely and helpful! I'm actually thinking about detailing on it this weekend. Unless the weather is nice enough for a cruise, of course. We do have a heated garage the car is normally parked in. We will not be storing it all winter, though. Probably won't get driven a lot, but definitely a few times a month.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 08:52 PM   #40
High Desert
Private
United_States
Rep

In the US, I used the Ragg Topp system which is highly rated. Plenty of how videos. I used compressed air and then vacuumed. We get a lot of dust and wind here and, so far, it is staying black. I good 85 mph drive, once a week, helps.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2020, 05:47 AM   #41
leftoverture
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Desert View Post
In the US, I used the Ragg Topp system which is highly rated. Plenty of how videos. I used compressed air and then vacuumed. We get a lot of dust and wind here and, so far, it is staying black. I good 85 mph drive, once a week, helps.
I used the Ragg Top products on my Corvette.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2020, 04:52 PM   #42
M Smurf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i M Sport

Quote:
We picked it up successfully this morning. We spent most of the day driving around the lakes enjoying the fall colors. Quite satisfied with the purchase so far. We hedged our reliability bet with an extended warranty, so if the timing chain issue or the infamous gasket leaks show up, we're covered. Here's my wife getting ready to drive off the lot! (Thanks all for the input!)

Good to see you weren't dissuaded from an N20. I went down the timing chain rabbit hole all over this forum and arrived at the conclusiion, like many other more informed users, that the "issue" is overblown. It happens, sure, but so does a myriad of other problems which doesn't make it endemic to the engine. THe amount of users on this forum represent a miniscule amount of n20s that exist and the by far the majority have no TC issues.

Anyways, my .02. My next ride hopefully will be a F22 in manual with the same n20. Love it!
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2020, 07:19 PM   #43
leftoverture
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Smurf View Post
Good to see you weren't dissuaded from an N20. I went down the timing chain rabbit hole all over this forum and arrived at the conclusiion, like many other more informed users, that the "issue" is overblown. It happens, sure, but so does a myriad of other problems which doesn't make it endemic to the engine. THe amount of users on this forum represent a miniscule amount of n20s that exist and the by far the majority have no TC issues.

Anyways, my .02. My next ride hopefully will be a F22 in manual with the same n20. Love it!
Yes. We are very happy with ours so far. Discovered it's actually the N26 with "sorted" injectors and other tidbits to make it SULEV. It's not as fuel efficient as I expected but maybe I drive it a little harder. In terms of the timing chain, it should have the updated system but just in case I bought an extended warranty that covers it to just over 90,000 miles. So I drive it without worry. Unfortunately, we are entering the time of year where we'll be driving with the top up most of the time.
Appreciate 1
mb67140.00