THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning What are some problems with the 2016 N55 engine?

07-30-2020, 06:21 AM   #1
freilyyy
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

What are some problems with the 2016 N55 engine?

i’m looking into a 2016 f22 and i was just wondering what some of the common n55 engine problems are , the car has about 39k miles and if i do end up getting it i want to start doing maintenance right away so i can then be comfortable adding mods like a down pipe and charge pipe since the oem one sucks and so i could also be comfortable tuning it after
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2020, 08:08 AM   #2
Liandri
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

I also have a 2016, I don't think there's many problems. It's the final revision of the n55, last year they were in production (excluding m2 and early x4 m40i), the only things I've seen are typical BMW OFHG, oil pan gasket, electric water pump replacement at some point under 100k, and the expansion tank coolant line in the front. That being said you should do your fluids once you get it, rear diff/oil/trans/brake and cabin/air filters, and spark plugs ZR5TPP33S. Safe bet is keep the stock intake always, aftermarket units tend to cause issues. You already noted switching out the stock charge pipe (intercooler to throttle body, drivers side) which is a big failure point.

I changed out the factory oil thermostat from the stock 248f to mosselman 185f to get the oil temp down to a normal range. I theorize the rediculously high oil temp may be contributing to the common gasket failures but that's just my opinion

If you poke around the threads the general consensus is the f22 n55 is basically the most reliable modern BMW chassis/engine combo. I've been beyond happy with mine, especially after adding bimmercode, xhp and mhd for full customizability. Good luck!
Appreciate 3