THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB New owner of an M235i with service / fluids question. Patience with me please...

09-02-2017, 08:58 PM   #1
M_235i
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

New owner of an M235i with service / fluids question. Patience with me please...

Hey everyone, Recently purchased a 2014 M235i, and doing the best I can to learn as much about it as possible (have never owned such a complex vehicle) lol. I have been scrolling for a long time through this forum and am kind of lost on a few things.
1. I noticed (different) from other vehicles, there is no "set" maint. schedule. Am I to rely on what the info the car "observes" and states to do? For example it says my brakes are due in 3,400 miles. Is this a set interval? or is this what the car has detected?
2. Being an owner of a used vehicle (not purchased at a BMW dealership) how do I evaluate my fluids? is it best to just get everything changed and start fresh?

The car has 25k miles on it and I have no details of the cars history. Non CPO and no warranty from any dealership. All i can tell is that it was dare I say, (gasp) chick owned......(observed cover-up wedged everywhere and found an eyeliner pencil under the seat). lol
This car will not be a daily driven car. It will be my "weekend" / nice weather car that will be stored in winters. I plan on keeping this car for a long time and want to correct any possible neglect but also don't want to do something damaging by changing things that may not need to be changed. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in Advance.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2017, 08:05 AM   #2
123Britt
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M235i AT

Used Car - Oil Change

I am not one for 10k oil changes but more of a follower of a Severe Maintenance schedule.

Meaning : Cut all the BMW fluid schedule changes in half or max 1 yr oil if she just sits in the cave.

Brakes are based on wear indicators - CBS

Appreciate 0
      09-03-2017, 02:46 PM   #3
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

I'd find a reputable independent ("indie") shop that specializes in BMWs. Try www.bimrs.org. Also, google "BMWCCA #####" where "#####" is your zip code. This will give you the name and the website for your local chapter of the BMW Car Club of America. Read through the website to see the shops that members are recommending. Then, check out the shops to get the vibes. Lastly, have a shop perform what's called a pre-purchase inspection (PPI). That inspection will tell you what the car needs.

I'd definitely change the oil and filter. Buy the oil and filter at the dealer or at FCPEuro or at ECS Tuning.

Last edited by MarcoZandrini; 09-04-2017 at 02:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2017, 07:16 PM   #4
M_235i
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Thanks for the tips!
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2017, 07:43 PM   #5
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Besides the Owners Manual in the iDrive inside your car, there is also a softback Owners Manual and an Owners Service Manual with detailed instructions and service for spark plugs for example. If those booklets weren't given to you contact BMW and maybe you can order copies.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 11:25 PM   #6
Solarphil
Private
Rep
Drives: Nickole - MG & CR M235i

Get a copy of Mike Miller's Old school maintenance schedule from the BMW CCA, or just google it. Great resource if you want to keep your BMW for a long time. On any new-to-me car, I like to change out all the fluids and set a service baseline - you don't know what the PO did but you can't go wrong in assuming they did nothing and then be happily surprised if the fluids aren't dark and baked.

Yes, the car will call for maintenance on a condition based schedule, influenced by your driving habits and god only knows what other inputs. I've found following what 123Britt says is really about best - cut the "official" recommendations in half.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2017, 05:53 PM   #7
Taunto
Car Enthusiast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M235 X-drive

Being a dealer tech I would recommend changing ur oil at least half of what the service mileage tells you. Me personally I change mine every 5000kms because well i get free oil and and a filter costs me like $11 bucks my cost.
Owners manual will say 160K kms for spark plugs - I have never met a BMW in my local area that spark plugs last till 160K. I usually recommend most around 100K kms interval.
Replace coolant every 3 years.

As for the brakes - it is a estimated distance by the computer based on driving habits and mileage. I have done Countless CBS corrections in regards to brakes which sometimes requires programming...This happens when the CBS says 2000kms till front brakes are due..but the pads still have like 7mm remaining...

As stated find yourself a solid good shop/tech and have them do an inspection on the car. Shouldn't cost you more than 1 hour labor for the inspection. Yes there are some great Independent shops out there, that being said not all dealers are bad. There are great and very intelligent techs that work at the dealer - just remember that shop rate at the dealer is almost always higher.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2017, 11:50 AM   #8
Gilda G
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i xdrive

As a "chick" when buying a used BMW whether from BMW or a used car lot (rarely) I always go to BMW with my VIN and get the service records. Upon inspection of that record I always make an appointment for the car to get checked out either at BMW or my indy shop. I have a guy who worked at BMW and opened his own place. He has all the high-tech computers etc as BMW and gets all parts from BMW if needed. Check to see if there is a shop in your town or surrounding area that specializes in BMW's. They can go over brakes, fluids etc for you for a lot cheaper. I always have the brakes, oil, filters and fluids changed because you really don't know how the previous person (guy or girl) took care of the car. Lipstick under a seat shouldn't be worrisome haha. I once found a chicken wing and a $20 under the drivers seat after detailing the car on day of delivery haha I laughed it off once the gross factor passed haha.

That being said always check the idrive for any outdated services or upcoming as well as the owners manual to see what is expected. I tend to also do a lot of research on the car to know any red flag issues I could expect when there is no warranty on the car. The M235 is a solid car. I haven't had any issues since taking delivery. Enjoy your car! Its a blast to drive and the N55 motors rarely have problems.

All the best with your purchase!

Last edited by Gilda G; 12-10-2017 at 05:50 PM..
Appreciate 1