THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Engine Misfire / Stuttering on 40-60% Throttle

04-07-2020, 08:04 PM   #23
whoismorggan
Bimmer Nut + Software Dev
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3 IE Stage 1

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghBMW View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by f20two View Post
Trying to smoothen out my rolling pulls. When accelerating just a hair from a cruise, the engine feels like it's stuttering/misfiring and causes vibration in the frontend.

I've already replaced all spark plugs and ignition coils. Car has 83,000 miles. What should I check next? fuel injectors?

I'm currently running MHD 93 OCT Stage 2 with catless DP, BMS intake, and VRSF chargepipe.
What plugs did you go With? I know this is probably not going to get solved here without experiencing it. Sometimes when I'm WOT it feels like the trans can't keep up with shifting and it's hesitating to accelerating. I was coming back home last night and was at 65-70 and hit the gas and the car went to accelerate and stuttered a little bit then accelerated. I have an xDrive car.
It was the front transfer case. I've turned on xDelete which makes the car full RWD and it feels night/day better!

Another forum member mentioned he had the same issue and it was resolved by doing a fluid flush.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 08:05 PM   #24
PghBMW
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 (F82)

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Trying to smoothen out my rolling pulls. When accelerating just a hair from a cruise, the engine feels like it's stuttering/misfiring and causes vibration in the frontend.

I've already replaced all spark plugs and ignition coils. Car has 83,000 miles. What should I check next? fuel injectors?

I'm currently running MHD 93 OCT Stage 2 with catless DP, BMS intake, and VRSF chargepipe.
What plugs did you go With? I know this is probably not going to get solved here without experiencing it. Sometimes when I'm WOT it feels like the trans can't keep up with shifting and it's hesitating to accelerating. I was coming back home last night and was at 65-70 and hit the gas and the car went to accelerate and stuttered a little bit then accelerated. I have an xDrive car.
It was the front transfer case. I've turned on xDelete which makes the car full RWD and it feels night/day better!

Another forum member mentioned he had the same issue and it was resolved by doing a fluid flush.
If new NGK iridium plugs gapped at .023 don't fix my issue that's what I'll be doing next
Appreciate 1
      04-07-2020, 08:07 PM   #25
whoismorggan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

If new NGK iridium plugs gapped at .023 don't fix my issue that's what I'll be doing next
I did the same plugs and gap, also replaced all six coil packs and still felt the stutter. After xDelete it was gone. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 08:09 PM   #26
PghBMW
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I did the same plugs and gap, also replaced all six coil packs and still felt the stutter. After xDelete it was gone. Good luck!
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

xDelete isn't super expensive might do that
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 08:11 PM   #27
whoismorggan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Very true. It also drives better imo. I prefer it over xdrive if I'm doing anything other than 0-60 launches
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 09:31 AM   #28
PghBMW
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liandri View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechEngineer View Post
Another victim of the lifetime oil...glad I could help
Heh lifetime means lifetime of the warranty, but they don't tell you that. Changing all driveline fluids every 30-40k results in happy ownership and long lasting components. This should be at the top of everyone's to do list before tuning. I changed the rear diff oil on my 2016 with only 20k on the whole car and it looked like garbage. Did the trans right after bit hard to tell with the 8hp fluid as it's fairly dark looking when new
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liandri View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechEngineer View Post
Another victim of the lifetime oil...glad I could help
Heh lifetime means lifetime of the warranty, but they don't tell you that. Changing all driveline fluids every 30-40k results in happy ownership and long lasting components. This should be at the top of everyone's to do list before tuning. I changed the rear diff oil on my 2016 with only 20k on the whole car and it looked like garbage. Did the trans right after bit hard to tell with the 8hp fluid as it's fairly dark looking when new
Ended up flashing my transmission with bootmod3 and the issue is 100% gone.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2020, 08:53 AM   #29
Bibopp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

For those who have the issue related to the transfer case, a fluid change is the thing to do + replacing the bottom drain plug by a strong magnetic plug. ECS have this kind of magnetic plug and it really does a difference especially for transfer cases because of the metal shavings they generate. These plugs are also very useful in front differential and rear differential
Appreciate 1
      07-31-2020, 08:57 AM   #30
whoismorggan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibopp View Post
For those who have the issue related to the transfer case, a fluid change is the thing to do + replacing the bottom drain plug by a strong magnetic plug. ECS have this kind of magnetic plug and it really does a difference especially for transfer cases because of the metal shavings they generate. These plugs are also very useful in front differential and rear differential
Good tip. Thanks you!
Appreciate 0