THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Exhaust Valve disconnect possible

07-09-2016, 01:02 PM   #23
Gilda G
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolyan2k View Post
e92 used to have a connector inside the trunk, 235 doesnt ? it would be nice to disconnect this inside the car to keep the water out of that plug
You can purchase for $25.00 two pugs to cover the one on the exhaust valve and one for the disconnected plug. I received mine today and they fit perfect. You just zip tie the loose cable and all set.
Here is the link
http://jrc-designs.com/products/
      07-09-2016, 01:18 PM   #24
Grentz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 40i G05

For those that keep asking where this is, it is on the left side of the muffler under the car if you are looking at it from the rear. Very obvious to see if you look under the car.
Past09' e90 335d, 11' E70 X5d, 16' F22 M235xi
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2016, 02:10 PM   #25
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT Mineral White M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gildagjg View Post
You can purchase for $25.00 two pugs to cover the one on the exhaust valve and one for the disconnected plug. I received mine today and they fit perfect. You just zip tie the loose cable and all set.
Here is the link
http://jrc-designs.com/products/
Um, does $25 seem highly overpriced to anyone else? It's to blanks. Can't cost more than $0.50 can it? :/ Electrical tape did the job for me.

6MT Mineral White on black M235i coupe
Build thread
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2016, 04:45 PM   #26
MASHCT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2 MG

If you're interested, here's an option for folks who don't want to spend any money to disable the valve, and keep the electrical connection intact/safe from debris, weather, etc...

Yep, you can unplug it, wrap the plug to weather-proof it & tie it off to secure it. Here's another option.

There is a C-shaped clip that connects the motor that turns the valve to a stem at the top of the valve. It's like a spring that sits in slots at the bottom of the motor's stem & the top of the valve's stem.

Remove that clip & the valve opens/closes freely. Hold it in the open position & tie it in place with a bit of bare wire. You wrap the wire around the exhaust pipe, place it in the slot while the valve is in the open position, twist the 2 ends together to secure it.

Hopefully, the pics I attached help show what I am talking about. This is the stock exhaust I removed when I installed the M Performance exhaust. I did this mod on the M Perf exhaust after installation once I saw how this worked. I was going to do the unplug/weatherproof/tie-off option, but I liked leaving it plugged in.

You only need to jack up the driver's side rear. Secure your front wheels & use a jack stand if you have one.

Pic #1 shows the valve assembly & the screwdriver is pointing to the clip.
Pic #2, use needle-nose pliers to squeeze clip & remove.
Pic #3 shows what the clip looks like.
Pic #4 shows valve stem turned to the open position.
Pic #5 shows wire wrapping around pipe & in the valve stem slot, securing it in open position.
Attached Images

2017 M2 | MGM | 6SPD Std | RWD | MP Exhaust | CSF FMIC | Active Autowerke DP w/ HF CAT | FTP Charge & Boost Pipes | Fortune Auto series 500 7k/14k coilovers | CDT Audio ES Gold Fronts & HD series Rear | Richland Forged Project Nurburg RF-GT4 Wheels | AudioControl LC-6.1200 | JL Audio TWK 88 | CF Goodies
Appreciate 1
      08-18-2017, 11:40 PM   #27
mibikin
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White M235i xDrive

Garage List
Sorry to revive a dead thread but after lurking around the F80 forum when stumbling on ways to disable the exhaust flap I figured I'd test the method they had with pulling the fuse for the valve and it works. Removing fuse 146 from the rear fuse box will disable the valve so as long as you make sure its open, which I did by starting the ignition but not the engine, placing the car in Sport+ mode and holding the gas down then turning the car back off you can remove the fuse and the exhaust valve will remain open.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2017, 08:39 PM   #28
Smallm
Old Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i, Dinan stage 4

Search the threads , somewhere was selling the caps for the connectors to keep em clean. the Dinan and others don't even come with that valve.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 12:59 PM   #29
Climate Changer
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 230i xdrive convertible

Garage List
2018 230i xdrive co ...  [0.00]
2019 x3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MASHCT View Post
If you're interested, here's an option for folks who don't want to spend any money to disable the valve, and keep the electrical connection intact/safe from debris, weather, etc...

Yep, you can unplug it, wrap the plug to weather-proof it & tie it off to secure it. Here's another option.

There is a C-shaped clip that connects the motor that turns the valve to a stem at the top of the valve. It's like a spring that sits in slots at the bottom of the motor's stem & the top of the valve's stem.

Remove that clip & the valve opens/closes freely. Hold it in the open position & tie it in place with a bit of bare wire. You wrap the wire around the exhaust pipe, place it in the slot while the valve is in the open position, twist the 2 ends together to secure it.

Hopefully, the pics I attached help show what I am talking about. This is the stock exhaust I removed when I installed the M Performance exhaust. I did this mod on the M Perf exhaust after installation once I saw how this worked. I was going to do the unplug/weatherproof/tie-off option, but I liked leaving it plugged in.

You only need to jack up the driver's side rear. Secure your front wheels & use a jack stand if you have one.

Pic #1 shows the valve assembly & the screwdriver is pointing to the clip.
Pic #2, use needle-nose pliers to squeeze clip & remove.
Pic #3 shows what the clip looks like.
Pic #4 shows valve stem turned to the open position.
Pic #5 shows wire wrapping around pipe & in the valve stem slot, securing it in open position.
Great post and detailed pics.

My issue is the the clip itself it makes the exhaust flap rattle issue.

Is there no harm in removing it? Great added bonus as well
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 12:48 PM   #30
Jikky
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 228I 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climate Changer View Post
Great post and detailed pics.

My issue is the the clip itself it makes the exhaust flap rattle issue.

Is there no harm in removing it? Great added bonus as well
My "C" clip broke and i had that rattle issue so i bring it to my shop and asked him to let the valve open. He did use bare wire but now i have an annoying sound when the car tell the valve to open or close. It's like a pulse sound.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 02:23 PM   #31
BrettKA7
Captain
Rep
Drives: F22 M240i

I know this is a 4 year old thread, but there's some good info in here.

I put my 2017 M240i in accessory mode (engine off), pressed gas pedal to the floor, heard the valve open, shined a light inside to confirm, unplugged the valve, then took the car for a drive.

I noticed absolutely zero difference in acceleration or deceleration sound in Comfort or Sport mode... is it just me?

I was under the incorrect impression Comfort mode would get burbles, which it does not, but even ignoring that the exhaust sounded the exact same so I just plugged the flap back in.

Anyone else experience this?
      07-17-2020, 03:25 PM   #32
TonM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E46 M3 / 2017 M240

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettKA7 View Post

I put my 2017 M240i in accessory mode (engine off), pressed gas pedal to the floor, heard the valve open, shined a light inside to confirm, unplugged the valve, then took the car for a drive.

I noticed absolutely zero difference in acceleration or deceleration sound in Comfort or Sport mode... is it just me?

I was under the incorrect impression Comfort mode would get burbles, which it does not, but even ignoring that the exhaust sounded the exact same so I just plugged the flap back in.

Haven't tried this but if your are looking for a budget increase in sound and a lot more burbles have a muffler shop cut out your resonators. Makes a pretty significant difference for a couple of hundred tops.
      07-17-2020, 03:47 PM   #33
BrettKA7
Captain
Rep
Drives: F22 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonM3 View Post
Quote:

Haven't tried this but if your are looking for a budget increase in sound and a lot more burbles have a muffler shop cut out your resonators. Makes a pretty significant difference for a couple of hundred tops.
I cut the resonators out of my old Lexus IS and regretted it pretty badly because it droned at 2k RPM and then stopped droning at 2300. So it was vroooooOOOOOOOooooooom shift vroooooOOOOOOOooooooom shift vroooooooOOOOOOOooooooom

I don't want that to happen again
      07-17-2020, 04:47 PM   #34
TonM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E46 M3 / 2017 M240

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonM3 View Post
Quote:

I cut the resonators out of my old Lexus IS and regretted it pretty badly because it droned at 2k RPM and then stopped droning at 2300. So it was vroooooOOOOOOOooooooom shift vroooooOOOOOOOooooooom shift vroooooooOOOOOOOooooooom

I don't want that to happen again
Dinan sells a mid pipe that is just a resonator delete, I don't believe anyone has complained about drone.