THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Custom oil cooling setup (lots of pics)

07-13-2020, 04:37 PM   #1
TYC
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i TE

Custom oil cooling setup (lots of pics)

Hey guys, thought i would share my oil cooling setup.
Been working on this all winter, and so far testing this summer has gone really well.
I have a roll racing event this weekend that will give even more data.

Currently cruising temps
- highway, 35c+ temps, very high humidity = 185f - 205f
- Stop and go city traffic w/ a/c = max temp 218f

OIL:
5w40 liq.Moly

What I did:
- Thermostat upgrade:
Mossleman Turbo has been a very supportive sponsor during this test. My build uses their CNC Racing thermostat (opens at 85c vs OEM 115c).
This is a true thermostat, not a fully open bypass.

IMG_0396 by Brendan Carmody, on Flickr

- AN lines:
All OEM oil lines from the thermostat to the cooler have been upgraded with vibrant nylon braided hoses, using the Mosselman an adapter.
Saying it looks good is an understatement, the quality and fit is spot on.

IMG_0840 by Brendan Carmody, on Flickr

IMG_1155 by Brendan Carmody, on Flickr

- Oil Cooler:
My sponsor do88 and I wanted to see if we could stuff their massive cooler from the m2, into my m235i.
The size difference is quite noticeable, you do gain some additional fluid volume as well.
Its gotten great reviews, and they are a knowledgeable company that stand behind their products. So i was very excited to give this a try.
The short answer is no, it wont fit without extensive modification....to basically everything behind the bumper

Another thing we had to change was the oil line adapters.
The do88 cooler upgrade is meant to be simple bolt on, so it works with the OEM style connections (which we have removed in favor of -AN).
So the cooler went to Matt at GT customs for to weld on -AN adapters to the cooler.
10C66FE4-661A-4B3A-BC95-BDF423BEC5AB by Brendan Carmody, on Flickr

IMG_0324 by Brendan Carmody, on Flickr

The upper cooler mounts we made from scratch, the lower mounts were able to line up with existing mounting points on the car .

Next we started to mock up a new duct using the OEM duct with some extensions.

IMG_0152 by Brendan Carmody, on Flickr

The OEM grills needed to be much larger to increase airflow to the entire cooler face.
I did this by hand, it took forever.....but the end product Looks OEM, so I am happy.
The metal mesh behind is locally sourced SS, matching the specs of the bmw motorsport mesh i was already using.

Before
IMG_0859 by Brendan Carmody, on Flickr

After
IMG_0936 by Brendan Carmody, on Flickr

Once the OEM shape had been modified, we made a fiberglass test piece to fit in the car.

IMG_1002 by Brendan Carmody, on Flickr

Once we got that to the shape we liked, we began making the final version in CF.
As an added show of thanks to my sponsor, we took once of their stickers, and laid it in the resin over the CF. It gives the logos a floating effect that i really like.

IMG_0161 by Brendan Carmody, on Flickr

IMG_0164 by Brendan Carmody, on Flickr

One last thing we did while we were in their cutting everything apart was decide to make the oil cooling system totally separate from the rest of the cooling system by removing the heat ex changer from the loop.

(This is the OEM unit we removed)
IMG_0748 by Brendan Carmody, on Flickr

That about covers things.
I hope you like what we did, feel free to post up questions.
Check out my IG for more photos and vids - @theyoungcarmody
Cscs time attack - street rwd
Who says a race car can’t also be a show car?!?!
Appreciate 1
      07-13-2020, 08:01 PM   #2
K8_M235i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: CM E36

Looks like very thorough and good work. Do you have any on track pre oil cooling temps and are you planning to do a comparison?

I've never actually had an issue with oil temps even with 45 minute sessions. I usually see 239, sometimes 245. Iats are a different story though haha!
1998 S54 E36 M3 BMWCCA Club Racing #532 CM
1995 E36 M3 Sunbelt S52
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 08:44 PM   #3
TYC
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by K8_M235i View Post
Looks like very thorough and good work. Do you have any on track pre oil cooling temps and are you planning to do a comparison?

I've never actually had an issue with oil temps even with 45 minute sessions. I usually see 239, sometimes 245. Iats are a different story though haha!
Thanks for the kind words

Right now my worst case scenario base line was a time attack race from last season.
It was 40c+, high humidity, and I was using my a/c while staging.
The highest i saw was around 245-48f according to my old logs (ill have to try and dig them up, but thats what I have in my notes that i can find).

Not sure if I will have any time attack data for this season, as things are quite messed up due to covid.
I will be doing a roll racing event this weekend and another dyno session the following week (last session a couple weeks ago temps never exceeded the low 220's.
It was almost 80f that day. Fairly humid, and the large fan for the dyno was broken so I didn't have much airlflow).
With that being said it seems to be working well.
One thing to note, right now I am using 5w40 liq.moloy, when I race i use a Millers Racing Esther blend oil (same weight).
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 10:30 AM   #4
Liandri
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Wow that's amazing dude. I love how far you went. I put the mosselman thermostat in earlier this year, otherwise stock oil coming circuit, and use sport coolant option in tuning. Mines just a daily though. That coolant/oil heat exchanger, that's there to help the oil warmup via heat transfer from the cooling system? Except after warmup it continues to heat the oil and work against the oil cooling system?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 02:40 AM   #5
TYC
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liandri View Post
Wow that's amazing dude. I love how far you went. I put the mosselman thermostat in earlier this year, otherwise stock oil coming circuit, and use sport coolant option in tuning. Mines just a daily though. That coolant/oil heat exchanger, that's there to help the oil warmup via heat transfer from the cooling system? Except after warmup it continues to heat the oil and work against the oil cooling system?
Thanks for the kind words

Yea, The heat exchanger is there to help bring the fluids up to operating temperature more quickly.
Separating the oil cooling system from the heat exchanger allows both of these systems with different purposes to work independently.

Oil is really only there for lubrication, cooling characteristics are a secondary by product of its purpose.
Cooling should be done through the radiator system, which now does not have to disparate any heat from the oil system.

The main reason for doing things like this is to allow each system to have as much thermal dynamic efficiency as possible.
This becomes even more important on vehicles with turbo chargers, or super chargers, as they have their own lubrication and cooling done through the oil system.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2023, 09:13 PM   #6
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Do you still have a mockup of the duct you made? Also, can it be fitted in the bumper without modification to the mounts? I'm assuming this is less than ideal without the ducting.