THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics DIY and Coding Discussions F22 coding cheat sheet

04-13-2016, 08:42 PM   #1255
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpina B6 650ix GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beartato View Post
No it lists all the models, just like in the tutorial. I have Project=F020_16_03_503 selected.

It's not a hardware thing, as I have activity lights blinking on my Ethernet port and my computer sees the connection (well as an unidentified network).
Turn car off for an hour and try again.

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 09:01 PM   #1256
Beartato
Major
Rep
Drives: M235i

Can do.

Is there a way to check to see if it's reading Windows showing an unidentified network? I've googled this issue and the common issues (connection, missing blank dist folders, ignition not being fully on) don't seem to be it. Don't tell me BMW updated the software or something.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 09:03 PM   #1257
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Can do.

Is there a way to check to see if it's reading Windows showing an unidentified network? I've googled this issue and the common issues (connection, missing blank dist folders, ignition not being fully on) don't seem to be it. Don't tell me BMW updated the software or something.
This is a common problem, that usually reosolves itself after letting car go to sleep for an hour, and restarting it. I would not bother troubleshooting it further until you try this first.

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 10:25 PM   #1258
Beartato
Major
Rep

Well, here I am, roughly an hour later, still no bueno. This is what I'm looking at if it helps
View post on imgur.com
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 10:27 PM   #1259
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Well, here I am, roughly an hour later, still no bueno. This is what I'm looking at if it helps
View post on imgur.com
And Firewall and Virus software is disabled?

LAN Adapter has Dynamic and not Static IP Address?

Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 11:03 PM   #1260
Beartato
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
And Firewall and Virus software is disabled?

LAN Adapter has Dynamic and not Static IP Address?
Yup. I noticed Windows Defender had turned itself back on (new feature in Windows 10?) so just to triple check I went back out and still nothing.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 11:06 PM   #1261
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yup. I noticed Windows Defender had turned itself back on (new feature in Windows 10?) so just to triple check I went back out and still nothing.
Try resetting Winsock Adapter from Command Line.

Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 11:25 PM   #1262
Beartato
Major
Rep

Reset, restarted computer, still nothing. I'm gonna try a different laptop tomorrow. Thanks for the help.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 08:54 AM   #1263
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
Are you running Windows 10 on your Mac using a virtual machine? That may be part of the issue here. I'm using a 2010-vintage Dell Mini-10 laptop/netbook running Windows 10 and E-Sys 3.27 with launcher. I just coded the wife's 2016 F23 after updating from E-Sys 3.26 and an older version of psdzdata. The Mini-10 has been upgraded to 2GB RAM, but other than that, it runs Windows 10 ok and no problems connecting to either her car or my 2013 F30.

Try checking your Windows 10 Device List for the ethernet adapter and then see if you can get a newer driver for that device. After upgrading to Win10 on my system, I noticed that there was an immediate update for both the graphics and network adapters (wireless and wired). Again, it's dependent on what virtual device is used to link Win10 to your Mac's ethernet hardware.

My guess is you'll have success using a "native" Windows laptop rather than your Mac.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey

Last edited by RoundelM3; 04-14-2016 at 09:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 09:06 AM   #1264
Beartato
Major
Rep

I'll have to check that, thanks. So funny story, the computer I'm using is a 2010-vintage Alienware M11x laptop. I hadn't used it in years so instead of sitting for hours updating it in Windows 7 I just forced the Windows 10 update on it. I bet something's out of date. The other laptop I was going to use, my even older MacBook, has Windows 7--but its copy was even older/more out of date than the M11x. Unlike the M11x though I was just gonna clean install Windows 10 instead of just doing the update like on the M11x. I stopped that process when I remember I still had the M11x. Well either way I'm gonna update some stuffs tonight.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2016, 12:40 PM   #1265
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
Any luck yet? You're probably right about an out-of-date driver. Also, not all older systems are "certified" to run Windows 10. Best way to check is to connect the laptop via ethernet cable to your router (or cable modem), and if you get a connection there, that tells you the wired ethernet adapter is working. Being an Alienware machine, I'd think its ethernet adapter could handle faster speeds/protocols, but it's hard to say. My mini-10 seems to work fine, but it has a more "normal" adapter than your gaming-level system. It's very possible that they didn't update the driver for that specific adapter, which I believe is part of the motherboard and not replaceable like the wireless adapter is.

Appreciate 0
      04-21-2016, 12:54 PM   #1266
Beartato
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel335 View Post
Any luck yet? You're probably right about an out-of-date driver. Also, not all older systems are "certified" to run Windows 10. Best way to check is to connect the laptop via ethernet cable to your router (or cable modem), and if you get a connection there, that tells you the wired ethernet adapter is working. Being an Alienware machine, I'd think its ethernet adapter could handle faster speeds/protocols, but it's hard to say. My mini-10 seems to work fine, but it has a more "normal" adapter than your gaming-level system. It's very possible that they didn't update the driver for that specific adapter, which I believe is part of the motherboard and not replaceable like the wireless adapter is.
No luck yet. It's funny you bumped this thread, I finished up reinstalling Windows 7 on my MacBook last night so this afternoon I plan to try again. I'd been procrastinating coding over the last week. Hopefully it works, as I'm out of laptops after it.

For the curious, it's Windows 7 because my MacBook is so old Apple doesn't officially support Windows 10 in Bootcamp with it. I tricked it into installing Windows 10 but without driver support nothing really worked as it should.

Wish me luck.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2016, 05:22 AM   #1267
Beartato
Major
Rep

No bueno. Just as with the other laptop, it'll see an unidentified network from the car but Esys will say no ZGW available for the VIN option after selecting F20.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2016, 08:21 AM   #1268
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
Ah...bad luck, indeed. Well...maybe you should look for a used "normal" laptop - something like a Dell Inspiron or an HP Pavilion. If you're running any Windows version via an emulator like Bootcamp on a Mac or VMware on a PC, you may run into issues like the one you're seeing due to the "virtual devices" created by the emulation software and the internal drivers provided for them. My older Dell Mini-10 is great for coding despite its resource limitations because it's small and easy to set up inside or outside the car. I was quite surprised that it works as well as it does, but it's the only laptop in the house with an ethernet port. The other two are "ultrabooks" with wireless only.

Appreciate 0
      04-22-2016, 08:31 AM   #1269
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT Mineral White M235i

Quote:
No bueno. Just as with the other laptop, it'll see an unidentified network from the car but Esys will say no ZGW available for the VIN option after selecting F20.
Dang, that sucks. You're gonna spend more time trying to get coding working than you will actual coding. :/

6MT Mineral White on black M235i coupe
Build thread
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2016, 08:37 AM   #1270
Beartato
Major
Rep

Bootcamp isn't emulation it's an aid to dual boot Windows on a Mac, so there shouldn't be any virtual devices or emulated drivers, well no more than a normal laptop would use. Both laptops can talk fine to my home router, so I wouldn't think it's a laptop issue. Unless BMW locked out this software for the 2016 cars (unlikely, as others here have coded their MY16 vehicles) I'm thinking it's the cable.

Just out of curiosity's sake, what does Windows say when properly connected to the car? Is it still just an unidentified network with the little yellow triangle showing an error? Is there a particular order in which to set up everything (cable, laptop software, car start) I missed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentZero View Post
Dang, that sucks. You're gonna spend more time trying to get coding working than you will actual coding. :/
Pretty much. There's gotta be a simple reason this isn't working.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2016, 08:59 AM   #1271
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Bootcamp isn't emulation it's an aid to dual boot Windows on a Mac, so there shouldn't be any virtual devices or emulated drivers, well no more than a normal laptop would use. Both laptops can talk fine to my home router, so I wouldn't think it's a laptop issue. Unless BMW locked out this software for the 2016 cars (unlikely, as others here have coded their MY16 vehicles) I'm thinking it's the cable.

Just out of curiosity's sake, what does Windows say when properly connected to the car? Is it still just an unidentified network with the little yellow triangle showing an error? Is there a particular order in which to set up everything (cable, laptop software, car start) I missed?

Well, there you go - "test the assumptions". Hadn't even thought about the cable, as it's usually the most reliable link in the chain. Yes, by all means, test the cable. When my mini-10 connects, there is no warning symbol on the connection, so obviously something is off in your case. Try borrowing another Windows laptop and try connecting via E-Sys - if it fails on that one, it's for sure the cable. Better yet, if you know someone with a working cable, borrow theirs and test. Are you connecting with just the ignition on or with the car running? Either way, it should connect.

I forgot that Macs are now using the Intel processors/chipsets like PCs and are capable of booting Windows. There are probably some subtle differences, but I know people who run Mac OS on PC hardware, so it's likely not that big of a deal.

Appreciate 0
      04-22-2016, 10:18 AM   #1272
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:

Are you sure you Psdzdata is installed correctly and e-sys is pointing to the correct one?

Also are you sure you are plugging in the cable correctly into the OBDII? You need to make sure it's tight and that it doesn't wiggle to the sides else it could mean that some of the pins on the car's connector is bent and doesn't let the pin from the cable to go in...

This is what you see when the cable is not connected right
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-22-2016, 02:51 PM   #1273
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
Clearly then, (with apologies to the author of Cool Hand Luke), what we have here...is a failure! To communicate!

Appreciate 0
      04-23-2016, 01:58 PM   #1274
Beartato
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
Are you sure you Psdzdata is installed correctly and e-sys is pointing to the correct one?

Also are you sure you are plugging in the cable correctly into the OBDII? You need to make sure it's tight and that it doesn't wiggle to the sides else it could mean that some of the pins on the car's connector is bent and doesn't let the pin from the cable to go in...

I'm sure the Psdzdata is installed correctly and Esys is directed to its folder, but I'll check.

That screenshot is exactly what I see. I think I know my error: I've been gently sliding the OBDII connector on and only pushing it until it clicks. This afternoon when I get a chance to give it another shot I'll push it on harder.

Is there a pin out for the RJ45/OBDII connection? It'll be helpful with pinning out the connector if this doesn't work. It's a cheap cable from China, so maybe something isn't seated right.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2016, 04:40 PM   #1275
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beartato
Quote:

I'm sure the Psdzdata is installed correctly and Esys is directed to its folder, but I'll check.

That screenshot is exactly what I see. I think I know my error: I've been gently sliding the OBDII connector on and only pushing it until it clicks. This afternoon when I get a chance to give it another shot I'll push it on harder.

Is there a pin out for the RJ45/OBDII connection? It'll be helpful with pinning out the connector if this doesn't work. It's a cheap cable from China, so maybe something isn't seated right.
Not sure about the pin out.

If you can lay down and look at the car side of the obd2 you can check if the female side of the sockets all look good

Also a sign that it's plugged in is that the car will make a few noises when you plug it in like priming the fuel pump
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2016, 06:45 PM   #1276
Beartato
Major
Rep

Quote:
Not sure about the pin out.

If you can lay down and look at the car side of the obd2 you can check if the female side of the sockets all look good

Also a sign that it's plugged in is that the car will make a few noises when you plug it in like priming the fuel pump
So it makes noise when I plug in the cable, and the connector looks fine underneath the dash.

Not sure why I hadn't done this before but I pulled the sides off the OBDII plug and bam, the green/white wire is disconnected. Guess I'll have to solder it back on now. If anyone is curious I found the pin out in a build guide: http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/att...0&d=1339310761

I'm actually relieved, as this is an easy fix.

Thanks again for the help.

Last edited by Beartato; 04-23-2016 at 06:50 PM..
Appreciate 0