THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum M235 XDrive MHD Stage 2 thoughts vs M5 F90!!!

07-06-2020, 01:21 PM   #1
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 F90

Hey there
Just chiming in about how the car feels after the MHD Stage II with:
1. FICM Intercooler (Wagner)
2. CAInatke
3. Muffler delete (VRSF)
4. Charge pipe (Of course)

I was told that it should be in the vicinity of 360/380 HP/Trque to the wheels and being an XDrive with 17% loss m, should translate to 425/440 Crank numbers?!!

My thoughts,
Well let me start by saying nothing really feels fast to me in general with P90D ludicrous in my recent past! It has really spoilt all cars for me, but M5 F90 kinda pulled it off by being faster after 70-80mph than Tesla, it continues to pull relentlessly, and not much slower to 60! (Had the 2.6 sec new battery Tesla!),

enough about that
And with that said!
M235 felt nimble and golf cart like feeing but that's al I liked about it, but never drew a smile on my face for being fast!

But now with the MHD Stage II, boy does it feel fast! And I think that's true because I am not sure it's really "fast" as compared to my stock M5 F90!!

Guys listen!
I never thought this car would ever garner such interest for me except for the TOPLESSNESS piece of it! And yet begrudgingly I listened to y'all and my tuner EuroMpire locally in Charlotte NC (Kudos to Matt!! Shout out),,, and lo and behold that little thing pounces and romps "like" a real ///M (Rubbing it in huh !! It's arguably more enjoyable than M5 F90 (With top down of course), because with the burbles and hissing of CAI it's a new experience for me! I tuned Audi S8 with APR stage II and was a lot faster, but not day and night! Yet M235 with Stage 2 or 2+ (DPipes) is night and day!

Heard the BootMod3 can even be better, dunno, y'all tell me!

BTW my car has 87K miles on the ODO and was meant to be a summer car! But not sure not what to think, I am back to the camp of small cars and that cars nowadays suffer from overweight!!

Any idea Zero to 60 and QMile for M235 Convertible with MHD Stage II?

I almost bought Audi RS5 and I guess I am glad I didn't!

My 2 cents
Would like to hear your thoughts and recommendations!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 01:50 PM   #2
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep
Drives: M240xi 'Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by soooma View Post
Hey there
2. CAInatke
3. Muffler delete (VRSF)

I was told that it should be in the vicinity of 360/380 HP/Trque to the wheels and being an XDrive with 17% loss m, should translate to 425/440 Crank numbers?!!

My thoughts,
Well let me start by saying nothing really feels fast to me in general with P90D ludicrous in my recent past! It has really spoilt all cars for me, but M5 F90 kinda pulled it off by being faster after 70-80mph than Tesla, it continues to pull relentlessly, and not much slower to 60! (Had the 2.6 sec new battery Tesla!),

enough about that
And with that said!
M235 felt nimble and golf cart like feeing but that's al I liked about it, but never drew a smile on my face for being fast!

But now with the MHD Stage II, boy does it feel fast! And I think that's true because I am not sure it's really "fast" as compared to my stock M5 F90!!

Guys listen!
I never thought this car would ever garner such interest for me except for the TOPLESSNESS piece of it! And yet begrudgingly I listened to y'all and my tuner EuroMpire locally in Charlotte NC (Kudos to Matt!! Shout out),,, and lo and behold that little thing pounces and romps "like" a real ///M (Rubbing it in huh !! It's arguably more enjoyable than M5 F90 (With top down of course), because with the burbles and hissing of CAI it's a new experience for me! I tuned Audi S8 with APR stage II and was a lot faster, but not day and night! Yet M235 with Stage 2 or 2+ (DPipes) is night and day!

BTW my car has 87K miles on the ODO and was meant to be a summer car! But not sure not what to think, I am back to the camp of small cars and that cars nowadays suffer from overweight!!

My 2 cents
This made me hard. No lie.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 03:45 PM   #3
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimBimM2 View Post
Quote:
Hey there
2. CAInatke
3. Muffler delete (VRSF)

My thoughts,

enough about that
And with that said!

Guys listen!

My 2 cents
LOL
Not sure that was intentional on my end
What is exactly that caused that untoward effect?!! So I can either augment and capitalize on it lol
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 04:19 PM   #4
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hey there
2. CAInatke
3. Muffler delete (VRSF)

My thoughts,

enough about that
And with that said!

Guys listen!

My 2 cents
LOL
What is exactly that caused that untoward effect?!! So I can either augment and capitalize on it lol
I seriously hope he updated your chargepipes as you are looking at a pretty bad experience if he hasn't. You must get the chargepipes sorted ASAP.

Secondly, you need a downpipe. Honestly you are pretty much playing at the limit of what you can squeeze out without a downpipe. Get chargepipes sorted ASAP then get a downpipe and then a St2 tune!! Then... you are looking at a very different beast
Appreciate 1
soooma1376.50
      07-06-2020, 04:59 PM   #5
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hey there
2. CAInatke
3. Muffler delete (VRSF)

My thoughts,

enough about that
And with that said!

Guys listen!

My 2 cents
LOL
I seriously hope he updated your chargepipes as you are looking at a pretty bad experience if he hasn't. You must get the chargepipes sorted ASAP.

Secondly, you need a downpipe. Honestly you are pretty much playing at the limit of what you can squeeze out without a downpipe. Get chargepipes sorted ASAP then get a downpipe and then a St2 tune!! Then... you are looking at a very different beast
Charge pipe done too
Will update OP
It's already stage II not not II+
And that's per recommendation from MHD website FICM or DP earns you MHD stage 2 while both get you 2+

Can't do Downpipe because I drive it toplessly (Neologism!!), almost all the time and can't stand the stink
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 05:18 PM   #6
khoa@x-ph.com
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F83

Quote:
Charge pipe done too
Will update OP
And that's per recommendation from MHD website FICM or DP earns you MHD stage 2 while both get you 2+

Can't do Downpipe because I drive it toplessly (Neologism!!), almost all the time and can't stand the stink
Maybe get a sport catted DP for the gas smell problems? I thought stage 2 would not be recommended on stock DP or I could be wrong?
Appreciate 1
soooma1376.50
      07-06-2020, 06:02 PM   #7
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoa@x-ph.com View Post
Quote:
Charge pipe done too
Will update OP

Maybe get a sport catted DP for the gas smell problems? I thought stage 2 would not be recommended on stock DP or I could be wrong?
Still stinks
I tried it before in Audi S8 APR Stage II
Catted Downpipe stink
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      07-06-2020, 06:33 PM   #8
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

If the smell of fuel due to lack of an efficient cat is noticeable, the tune is probably lacking in good lambda adjustment. I have no cat on my track car, but run close to perfect lambda 1.0 (AFR 14.7) from idle to 2/3 max revs and up to 1/2 throttle (with a naturally aspirated engine putting out 105bhp per litre). Only above those conditions does the car need an increasingly rich mixture, but the car is then accelerating hard and you won't smell any richness in the exhaust as it is left behind.
Appreciate 1
soooma1376.50
      07-06-2020, 07:29 PM   #9
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
If the smell of fuel due to lack of an efficient cat is noticeable, the tune is probably lacking in good lambda adjustment. I have no cat on my track car, but run close to perfect lambda 1.0 (AFR 14.7) from idle to 2/3 max revs and up to 1/2 throttle (with a naturally aspirated engine putting out 105bhp per litre). Only above those conditions does the car need an increasingly rich mixture, but the car is then accelerating hard and you won't smell any richness in the exhaust as it is left behind.
I'll cede the aforementioned "rich" info because really went over my head!
But do I need a DP for MHD stage 2 not stage 2+ because per their website all I need is Intercooler/Charge Pipe and I added CAI
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 07:35 PM   #10
B58togo
Major
Rep
Drives: M240i

Modern day BMWs certainly don't lose 17% from the crank to the wheels. RWD is generally ~10% and X-Drive ~12%. With all the German manufacturers publishing highly underrated crank ratings, it becomes a moot point to even think about crank numbers anyway. I prefer to not worry about dynos either. Best to get a Dragy and/or hit the track. Those are the numbers that don't lie.
      07-06-2020, 07:55 PM   #11
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by B58togo View Post
Modern day BMWs certainly don't lose 17% from the crank to the wheels. RWD is generally ~10% and X-Drive ~12%. With all the German manufacturers publishing highly underrated crank ratings, it becomes a moot point to even think about crank numbers anyway. I prefer to not worry about dynos either. Best to get a Dragy and/or hit the track. Those are the numbers that don't lie.
Didn't do it for M5 F90, not going to do it with M235
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 11:09 PM   #12
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by B58togo View Post
Didn't do it for M5 F90, not going to do it with M235
Sooma, getting a Dragy device isn't a bad idea. It is super cheap, and you just need a cigarette plug for it as well as a phone app. Your mind will be blown what your little topless monster can do when you see those Dragy numbers! Post them here!
Appreciate 1
soooma1376.50
      07-08-2020, 08:55 AM   #13
Efftooto
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: '16 M235i

The new Porsche 911 Turbo S smokes the P90D. Not by much but it's running a 6 cylinder!

Chris
Appreciate 1
soooma1376.50
      07-09-2020, 01:22 AM   #14
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efftooto View Post
The new Porsche 911 Turbo S smokes the P90D. Not by much but it's running a 6 cylinder!

Chris
I'm aware but apples to oranges really
My P90D was a 2.6 seconds 7 seater car with 2 rear facing kids seats and cut weight north of 5000 pounds!!
No saying I loved it because I let it go I'm 6 months unapologetically because it lacked character and charisma! With that said it's for a very good reason Tesla is the MOST VALUABLE CAR MANUFACTURING COMPANY in the world! And I am a very proud former owner of it!
Appreciate 1
BimBimM21486.00
      07-09-2020, 07:06 AM   #15
Efftooto
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: '16 M235i

I find it amusing how many driving "enthusiasts" have so much support for a company that basically wants to take away the pleasure of driving from us.

Chris
Appreciate 3
MLJR235116.50
soooma1376.50
aerobod3612.00
      07-09-2020, 03:46 PM   #16
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
With that said it's for a very good reason Tesla is the MOST VALUABLE CAR MANUFACTURING COMPANY in the world!
Yes, and not a bad trick for a company that's only slightly acquainted with profits, is it.

Is Tesla more of a '90s-style dotcom company (albeit with real products that the market is willing to pay for), or is it going to be around for the long haul? I don't think we know yet. While I don't follow it closely, I certainly enjoy watching the drama that is Elon Musk and his efforts to succeed.

Meanwhile, BMW was the world's most profitable car company in 2016 and 2017. It will continue moving to a mostly-hybrid-with-some-pure-electric lineup using money it earns in the marketplace, a model in distinct contrast to that of Tesla.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efftooto View Post
I find it amusing how many driving "enthusiasts" have so much support for a company that basically wants to take away the pleasure of driving from us.
I've never had the impression that Tesla fans are driving enthusiasts. Generally, they seem more interested in the technology and the acceleration. It's like a really cool toy. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

It's my impression that many owners would pay extra if the car could do 0-60, run the quarter mile, and maybe do a couple of laps at a local track while they sat back with their hands off the wheel enjoying the ludicrous tricks their cars can do.

Last edited by dradernh; 07-09-2020 at 04:00 PM..
Appreciate 2
soooma1376.50
aerobod3612.00
      07-09-2020, 05:55 PM   #17
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

I was at a track day the Sunday before last when one of the participants I know brought along a Tesla Model 3 Performance Edition instead of his usual BMW M4, due to the expected rain through the day. Luckily we got half the day completely dry in the end.

Basically he could only get 2 hot laps of the 2.7km 14-turn circuit before overheating the tyres and brakes and had to then back-off for the rest of the session. He didn't reach limp mode from a battery overheat perspective likely due to the short straights of the course giving limited opportunity for continuous full power. Typically he was covering 40km in about 25 minutes in each session and using 30% of the 75kWh battery capacity, so had to go in search of a DC fast charger off-site after a couple of sessions to be sure that he didn't end up stranded.

The car did handle well with it's low centre of gravity and had reasonable grip, but was otherwise a bit limited for track use. His general conclusion is that it wasn't a good choice due to weight and power consumption. He didn't have the Track Package, I think it would allow a few more hot laps, but then reduced power output due to battery overheating would ensue. Probably 5 laps of our local track before reduced performance, with a typical session being 15 laps.

Also, one of the track day members has experience of both the Taycan and Model S with upgraded tyres and brakes on track, saying that the Taycan is definitely able to handle track use over it's full charge capacity, but the Tesla will go into reduced power mode. It seems to be a limitation of the battery cooling capabilities inherent in the design that software tweaking can't solve, even with the Track Package software changes to over-clock the cooling. Also, once reduced power mode is invoked, it can take a while for the heat to dissipate enough to get back to normal power output.
Appreciate 2
dradernh4352.00
soooma1376.50