THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Headlight Cracks

06-30-2020, 12:09 PM   #23
JonOhh
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06' 330i

Garage List
Alright, I compiled all of the good photos I have into a google photos album- heres the link.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/A5SRR933J6VZhn5D7

They don't all show the issue, many of them are the comparison in different types of light, or where the issue doesn't or does show up (helping indicate it's cracked, since they're directional, unlike say, sandblasting damage would be) just thought that could be helpful.

Also, I included some photos of a 2er, and two 3ers, for comparison. They are adaptive LED cars, so they're slightly newer... maybe a year or so.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 12:13 PM   #24
JonOhh
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoZandrini View Post
Contact BMW NA. Provide them with the pictures.
Excuse my ignorance, but how do I do this? I reached out to them with a phone call, and they basically told me to find another dealer, but if it's at all possible to do an online/email case with them where I can send photos, I would like to do that.

I'm not familiar with the BMWNA case "system" I guess.

Jon
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 12:33 PM   #25
morphomeman
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235ix

Garage List
2016 BMW X3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M235ix  [0.00]
If both are showing the same damage, then it can't be the result of impact, so it is likely either indigenous or the effect of some substance that has been applied to both, or just plain age (but the car is not very old). In any case, very odd.
I would try to contact BMW North America directly, not in an aggressive way but just as a heads-up, to say "Hey, look at this. Any ideas of what it could be?"
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 11:08 PM   #26
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

It seems to be surface pitting due to sand or dust blasting. You can see the pitting in the paint in some cases, too. I would expect the windshield on the car will also have some pitting. Driving through something like a dust devil can cause that level of pitting in a few seconds, it happened to a 2 week old vehicle I had when I drove through a dust devil that I couldn’t avoid, as it swept across the highway in Idaho.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2020, 01:31 AM   #27
JonOhh
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Asking just out or curiosity, wouldn't you expect the pitting to be less severe on the outer edges if this was the case? It's hard to display on camera, but the cracks/damage/whatever is extremely uniform throughout the entire lens, despite differing camera angles showing otherwise (the viewing angle changes how severe it looks, so it's hard to get a photo showing it uniform).

On the rearmost section of the lens, you can see the actual protective coating coming off all together.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2020, 01:50 AM   #28
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep

It depends on how particles hit, the airflow will divide over the surface and pit more evenly. I even had pitting on some areas of my wheel spokes. I estimated tens of thousands of pits on headlights, mirror covers, wheel spokes, various areas of the paint, windshield, grille, etc with about 5 seconds passing through the dust cloud. Probably air velocity up to 200km/h combining my forward velocity and the highest swirling wind speed. A sand blaster at about 50PSI pressure will have equivalent particle speed.

I would expect lens coating could be more affected where the air flow is more glancing due to the higher shear forces compared with a direct impact which would leave a deeper pit, but affect a smaller area.

In the case of my 2 week old Nissan Pathfinder that went through the dust devil, it looked like it had 5 to 10 years of pitting that could only be alleviated with a repaint and replacement of all the impacted parts. For various reasons I just decided to live with it, instead of having a full cosmetic repair under insurance.
Appreciate 1
JonOhh672.00
      07-01-2020, 03:31 AM   #29
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

OP, thanks for taking the time to share some revised photos.

Looking at it over, the appearance doesn't look like a case of physical damage but more so the result of an outside influence, such as in small projectile pitting, marring the outer lenses, since plastic doesn't shatter into pieces..

The lens on these vehicle are pretty delicate. If you ever look any BMW vehicle with Xenons headlights, at nighttime, you'll notice that the mere heat generated from the low-beam bulb normal operation, is enough to cause a permanent burn-in, onto the inner plastic, which gives off the appearance of inner dust build-up and BMW considers normal.

I guess the most reasonable and sane way to look at it is to chuck it up to wear & tear and treat the headlights as consumable items, such as a clutch or tires and just replace them, when they get to this juncture..

Sucks but this is the nature of dealing with plastic-based lens, in such a vulnerable location. It's just too bad they did away with glass headlights..

headlight casing dust and bulb burn on new cars https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1595637

Headlight polishing wouldn't fix this... right? https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1735197
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
JonOhh672.00
      07-01-2020, 07:50 AM   #30
John in VA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Sucks but this is the nature of dealing with plastic-based lens, in such a vulnerable location. It's just too bad they did away with glass headlights..
Sucks worse when BMW is/was replacing some owners' lights & claiming "outside influences"/wear & tear for others. Our CPO '13 F30 with halogens demonstrated the "cracks" in 2016 at 22k miles - one headlight was replaced by BMW. The current '15 F22 with Xenons has no "cracks" today at 22k miles.
2015 BMW 228i in EstorilBlau II Metallic / Terra Dakota Leather - 6-speed manual, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package, Premium Package, Harman Kardon premium sound, Anti-theft alarm system, Blue Metallic Matt Accent Moldings, Aluminum Hexagon Interior Strips, Anthracite Headlining
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2020, 09:24 AM   #31
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
It depends on how particles hit, the airflow will divide over the surface and pit more evenly. I even had pitting on some areas of my wheel spokes. I estimated tens of thousands of pits on headlights, mirror covers, wheel spokes, various areas of the paint, windshield, grille, etc with about 5 seconds passing through the dust cloud. Probably air velocity up to 200km/h combining my forward velocity and the highest swirling wind speed. A sand blaster at about 50PSI pressure will have equivalent particle speed.

I would expect lens coating could be more affected where the air flow is more glancing due to the higher shear forces compared with a direct impact which would leave a deeper pit, but affect a smaller area.

In the case of my 2 week old Nissan Pathfinder that went through the dust devil, it looked like it had 5 to 10 years of pitting that could only be alleviated with a repaint and replacement of all the impacted parts. For various reasons I just decided to live with it, instead of having a full cosmetic repair under insurance.
This gets my nomination for the 'Stephen King Horror show Award'. Just when I think I'm getting too paranoid about road hazards, I find out I'm not nearly paranoid enough. I'll just try to reassure myself that our American dirt is softer and less abrasive than that Canadian metric stuff ('cause you know how much less abrasive us Amurikans are in every other realm, right ).
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2020, 09:44 AM   #32
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
This gets my nomination for the 'Stephen King Horror show Award'. Just when I think I'm getting too paranoid about road hazards, I find out I'm not nearly paranoid enough. I'll just try to reassure myself that our American dirt is softer and less abrasive than that Canadian metric stuff ('cause you know how much less abrasive us Amurikans are in every other realm, right ).
Ha, ha!

Unfortunately it was Idahoan dirt (probably from an over-cultivated potato field) on a trip that shall ever be known as the "Wally World Trip" due to number of mishaps that were all in retrospect quite funny. Disneyland did play the part of Wally World, and it was actually open when we arrived, but otherwise the other mishaps were more fitting to a movie.
Appreciate 1
Maynard3804.50
      07-01-2020, 11:51 AM   #33
morphomeman
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235ix

Garage List
2016 BMW X3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M235ix  [0.00]
Weather can do terrible things to cars. Google hailstorm car damage. Numerous pictures of dealer lots with hail-destroyed brand new beautiful vehicles lined up to the horizon.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2020, 11:17 PM   #34
JonOhh
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Well, speaking of weather doing bad things to cars.

We haven't been driving the 235 to conserve mileage, it has an appointment booked at a different dealership (bmwna said to take it to a different dealership) in the morning but today was quite the day.

She (my mom) was driving the Abarth, since the 235 is staying parked, and a flash flood hit, no shoulder on the highway, no exits for quite a while...hydro locked the engine. About a gallon in the FMIC. Long story short, it's running again but seems to have some extra noise going on. Dunno if its the MultiAir or the bottom end. It probably could have been avoided, but shit happens, it's all okay.

But I digress, at this point, I may as well accept the fact that the headlights on our 2016 2er look worse than the headlights on my 2006 3er. It's all good, still a fantastic car. If they get fixed, great, if they don't, what a shame. We do have occasional sand blowing around, but it hasn't caused any issues on any of the other cars, and really, they look like cracks- they're long and thin, and don't match the texture on the outside.

I greatly appreciate all of the input yall, i'll keep you all updated for the resolution.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2020, 11:21 PM   #35
JonOhh
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Looking at it over, the appearance doesn't look like a case of physical damage but more so the result of an outside influence, such as in small projectile pitting, marring the outer lenses, since plastic doesn't shatter into pieces..

The lens on these vehicle are pretty delicate. If you ever look any BMW vehicle with Xenons headlights, at nighttime, you'll notice that the mere heat generated from the low-beam bulb normal operation, is enough to cause a permanent burn-in, onto the inner plastic, which gives off the appearance of inner dust build-up and BMW considers normal.

I guess the most reasonable and sane way to look at it is to chuck it up to wear & tear and treat the headlights as consumable items, such as a clutch or tires and just replace them, when they get to this juncture..

headlight casing dust and bulb burn on new cars https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1595637

Headlight polishing wouldn't fix this... right? https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1735197

I appreciate the input- that last link you sent is 100% identical to how the damage appears to my eye.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 12:36 AM   #36
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonOhh View Post
Quote:

I appreciate the input- that last link you sent is 100% identical to how the damage appears to my eye.
I researched the subject and it seems to be a common issue, when harsh chemicals are used on the headlights, causing the outer clear coat protection to become broken down and susceptible in developing something called "crazing."

I mean, think about it; if only one light was "crazing," maybe they might of labeled it as a defect and looked the other way but both lights, at the same identical time, is pretty suspect.

Not judging, just keeping it real..

But we'll just keep that between us, just take it somewhere else and just play dumb..

There is a 50/50 chance they might just replace it, without a fuss.. Good luck

http://www.boxa.net/forum/topic/8388...light-crazing/
Attached Images

Last edited by Poochie; 07-02-2020 at 12:46 AM..
Appreciate 2
      07-02-2020, 12:45 AM   #37
JonOhh
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I researched the subject and it seems to be a common issue, when harsh chemicals are used on the headlights, causing the outer clear coat protection to be broken down and develop something called "crazing."

But we'll just keep that between us, just take it somewhere else and just play dumb..

Thanks, man. I know I haven't used anything harsh on them, apart from the car's own protectant wax dripping on to them, but I have no clue what may have happened when I wasn't around. It's possible either the dealership wash or a car wash put bug remover on them... that stuff seems to be pretty harsh. In terms of chemical damage, that's all I can really think of, but I'm open to the idea that that could have contributed... even if I really think they need to be replaced, as short of putting acetone on them, they should last 4 years, even with the occasional shot of bug remover or whatever else.

If they don't replace them I'll just start calling it "headlight sparkles" as to feel better about an otherwise nice looking car having a pretty ugly cosmetic defect
Appreciate 1
Poochie9099.00
      07-02-2020, 12:59 AM   #38
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I researched the subject and it seems to be a common issue, when harsh chemicals are used on the headlights, causing the outer clear coat protection to be broken down and develop something called "crazing."

Thanks, man. I know I haven't used anything harsh on them, apart from the car's own protectant wax dripping on to them, but I have no clue what may have happened when I wasn't around. It's possible either the dealership wash or a car wash put bug remover on them... that stuff seems to be pretty harsh. In terms of chemical damage, that's all I can really think of, but I'm open to the idea that that could have contributed... even if I really think they need to be replaced, as short of putting acetone on them, they should last 4 years, even with the occasional shot of bug remover or whatever else.

If they don't replace them I'll just start calling it "headlight sparkles" as to feel better about an otherwise nice looking car having a pretty ugly cosmetic defect
I believe you, it's a crappy situation and I hope it works out for you..

A little FYI, GM had released an official dealer bulletin, on the issue:

The bulletin is being issued to make dealers and customers aware of chemical damage that may be caused to exterior polycarbonate headlamp lenses. Most late model vehicles have these types of headlamp lenses. This material is used because of its temperature and high impact resistance.

A variety of chemicals can cause crazing or cracking of the headlamp lens. Headlamp lenses are very sensitive. Care should be exercised to avoid contact with all exterior headlamp lenses when treating a vehicle with any type of chemical, such as those recommended for rail dust removal. Rubbing compound, grease tar and oil removers, tire cleaners, cleaner waxes and even car wash soaps in too high a concentration may also attribute to this condition. This could result in the need to replace the entire headlamp housing.

Also, crazing or deformations of the lens may occur if a shop mat or fender cover is draped over the fender and covers a portion or all of the headlamp assembly while the DRL or headlamps are on. This action restricts the amount of heat dissipated by the headlamps.

Once a heat buildup is generated by the headlamp, a degradation of the headlamp lens begins. This degradation of the lens can be unnoticeable at first and eventually manifest as spider cracks. In more extreme cases, it will begin to melt the lens of the headlamp.
Appreciate 1
JonOhh672.00
      07-02-2020, 01:12 AM   #39
JonOhh
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I believe you, it's a crappy situation and I hope it works out for you..

A little FYI, GM had released an official dealer bulletin, on the issue:

The bulletin is being issued to make dealers and customers aware of chemical damage that may be caused to exterior polycarbonate headlamp lenses. Most late model vehicles have these types of headlamp lenses. This material is used because of its temperature and high impact resistance.

A variety of chemicals can cause crazing or cracking of the headlamp lens. Headlamp lenses are very sensitive. Care should be exercised to avoid contact with all exterior headlamp lenses when treating a vehicle with any type of chemical, such as those recommended for rail dust removal. Rubbing compound, grease tar and oil removers, tire cleaners, cleaner waxes and even car wash soaps in too high a concentration may also attribute to this condition. This could result in the need to replace the entire headlamp housing.

Also, crazing or deformations of the lens may occur if a shop mat or fender cover is draped over the fender and covers a portion or all of the headlamp assembly while the DRL or headlamps are on. This action restricts the amount of heat dissipated by the headlamps.

Once a heat buildup is generated by the headlamp, a degradation of the headlamp lens begins. This degradation of the lens can be unnoticeable at first and eventually manifest as spider cracks. In more extreme cases, it will begin to melt the lens of the headlamp.

Interesting- seems like a known issue within the industry. With the cost of some of these fancy headlights we have these days, with the housing quickly exceeding $1000 in a lot of cases, you'd think some more development would be put into this, but I know nothing about plastics, so maybe they're doing the best they can. Using a few additional ounces of soap causing $2k in damage (to return to new condition anyway) is a bit eh... irritating?

I imagine most headlight lenses these days are made of similar plastic.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 06:28 AM   #40
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Quote:
... with the housing quickly exceeding $1000 in a lot of cases, you'd think some more development would be put into this, but I know nothing about plastics, so maybe they're doing the best they can....
I bet right now they are honing in on how to engineer a life expectancy of exactly 49 months, while the designers try to figure out how to make the entire front end a singe replacement-only item.
Appreciate 4
JonOhh672.00
dradernh4179.00
Rollo`124.00
Mike F.103.00
      07-02-2020, 04:13 PM   #41
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
I bet right now they are honing in on how to engineer a life expectancy of exactly 49 months, while the designers try to figure out how to make the entire front end a singe replacement-only item.
Well done – there's just enough of a kernel of truth in there to make it entertaining and, possibly, informative!
Appreciate 1
Maynard3804.50
      07-02-2020, 05:45 PM   #42
MLJR235
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235I

I've been watching your thread for a while and honestly, I do believe it is a case of how our modern-day products have set life spans. I just junked my very first vehicle, a 1995 honda civic. I can tell you almost everything on that car was no longer nice to look at but you know something, those 1995 ( 25 years old) OEM GLASS headlights looked fabulous. They were still clear with zero yellowing or cracking or "crazing" as these new plastics are prone to. It's funny how almost every 6 or 7 year old car has yellowing or clear coat peeling headlights. I know there are many garage kept cars with no issues but I am sure those cars are exceptions as they are not exposed to the elements like many daily drivers, mine included.

I attached a few photos of my own lights, 2015 m235i. The appearance is hard to capture but they are like tiny cracks and this 100% INSIDE the housing. I can run my finger and nail over the outer surface and it's silky smooth. I don't plan to go after any BMW dealer or BMW NA, they will most likely give me the run around or just plain say my car is "old" and I should "expect wear to happen". Funny thing is my passenger side assembly is almost perfect, nowhere near as much "crazing" or whatever they decided to call it lol.

Anyway, these are my 2 cents worth of contributions. It may not be worth much but possibly some food for thought... who knows we may someday get headlight assemblies that stay clear longer than 10 years.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 08:35 PM   #43
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMLLOPEZ View Post

I attached a few photos of my own lights, 2015 m235i. The appearance is hard to capture but they are like tiny cracks and this 100% INSIDE the housing. I can run my finger and nail over the outer surface and it's silky smooth.
WoW, that doesn't look good and I believe once the outer lens clear coat has been broken down, it's only going to get much worst..

You can try buffing it, as maybe a band-aid but a replacement is the only true solution.

The tabs are broken on one of my headlights, just from hitting an average size pothole, so I eventually plan to replace mines but I am going to keep my eye out for 'crazing' issue, during that interim..
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 10:48 AM   #44
MLJR235
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235I

Quote:
WoW, that doesn't look good and I believe once the outer lens clear coat has been broken down, it's only going to get much worst..

You can try buffing it, as maybe a band-aid but a replacement is the only true solution.

The tabs are broken on one of my headlights, just from hitting an average size pothole, so I eventually plan to replace mines but I am going to keep my eye out for 'crazing' issue, during that interim..

clear always starts to go first. Funny thing is the clear is 100% intact on the headlight in the pictures, perfectly smooth with no flaking. The cracking or whatever is inside or at least under the top layer. You can only see it at certain angles so I'm not even stressing about this.

A replacement will guarantee another 4,5, 6? years of new looking lights. Then, I guess you're back to square one...
Appreciate 0