THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum 230 or 240

07-03-2020, 01:50 AM   #67
PeanuKeeyes
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E34 | MX5

Congratulations on finding that thing! I’m impressed you found one, especially given those odds. — the 228i can be mighty different depending on the spec. The M235i comes in different packages of course, but the bare bones, M sport THP, lightweight 228i with N20 engine is, I think, the secret weapon of the recent BMW performance lineup. (Make sure that timing chain/guide is serviced under warranty, if applicable.) — If you were saving up for an M2, buying this car instead makes it more possible to invest in spare wheel/tire setup for track days as well as camber plates, lower insurance, relatively lower risk to “let loose” on track, etc. The performance of this car on a track is not well documented but there’s definitely some evidence that it does pretty damn well. My favorite demonstration of the 228i on the track is this raw and hilarious run of the Nürburgring. If you haven’t seen it yet, enjoy.
      07-06-2020, 03:08 PM   #68
morse2020
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i 6spd

I had this same debate. On paper, the performance difference doesn't appear to be super substantial (e.g., the four cylinder is quite fast 0-60). However, the six cylinder is a whole other level of driving experience in terms of sound, immediacy, and low-end torque. In general, it is a unique thrill to pilot an inline six, rear drive small BMW coupe, and one that is increasingly rare. For those reasons, I felt like I'd be happier having a slightly older 235 vs. a newer 230 in the long run.
Appreciate 0