THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Why can't we show our phone GPS on the screen?

05-10-2016, 01:07 PM   #1
Legal Bill
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Why can't we show our phone GPS on the screen?

So I have the non technology package. That means no GPS. But I notice that my phone's contact list loads right up on the car's screen. So why can't the GPS screen on my cell phone load up as well? My son's Golf GTi loads the phone screen right up on his car's screen. Something tells me our cars are capable of this, but it is being blocked somehow. Is that just wishful thinking on my part??
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 01:18 PM   #2
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT Mineral White M235i

bimmertech has a mirroring solution

6MT Mineral White on black M235i coupe
Build thread
Appreciate 1
      05-10-2016, 03:50 PM   #3
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legal Bill View Post
So I have the non technology package. That means no GPS. But I notice that my phone's contact list loads right up on the car's screen. So why can't the GPS screen on my cell phone load up as well? My son's Golf GTi loads the phone screen right up on his car's screen. Something tells me our cars are capable of this, but it is being blocked somehow. Is that just wishful thinking on my part??
Your son's VW (it's a 2016, I'm sure) has either Android Auto or Apple CarPlay. BMWs do not.

Both are third-party-developed software solutions for cars specifically outfitted with the means to integrate with them. (Read: license fees!). BMW really, really doesn't like to use third-party-developed software unless its forced to ...

... usually by market conditions and changing tech (Example: Bluetooth. Another: iPod). And that's happening. Rumor is that the 3 Series will be getting CarPlay in 2017, at least in limited form. I doubt we'll see it in the 2 Series until LCI, however -- and it will almost certainly be an option tied to the Tech Package.
Appreciate 1
      05-10-2016, 08:47 PM   #4
Legal Bill
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentZero View Post
bimmertech has a mirroring solution
Thank you. That is more costly than I had hoped, but certainly a lot less than the technology package.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 08:48 PM   #5
Legal Bill
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
Your son's VW (it's a 2016, I'm sure) has either Android Auto or Apple CarPlay. BMWs do not.

Both are third-party-developed software solutions for cars specifically outfitted with the means to integrate with them. (Read: license fees!). BMW really, really doesn't like to use third-party-developed software unless its forced to ...

... usually by market conditions and changing tech (Example: Bluetooth. Another: iPod). And that's happening. Rumor is that the 3 Series will be getting CarPlay in 2017, at least in limited form. I doubt we'll see it in the 2 Series until LCI, however -- and it will almost certainly be an option tied to the Tech Package.
Yes, a 2016. I think the work around from Bimmertech is the sort of thing I was looking for.
Appreciate 1
BM235iW97.00
      05-20-2016, 05:13 PM   #6
eflatminor
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legal Bill View Post
I think the work around from Bimmertech is the sort of thing I was looking for.
Do let us know if you install it. Would love to get your impressions. Thinking about it myself.
Appreciate 0