THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics B58 (M240i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Maintenance Modification Questions

06-22-2020, 11:48 AM   #1
Twilly
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

Maintenance Modification Questions

Hey how's it going

I recently just purchased a used 2017 M240i, and being new to the 2 series community I wanna know what mods I can use to keep this car running strong. I am interested in doing a tune later on, but I mainly want to have this car healthy for a long time.

Thank you
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 12:53 PM   #2
Throttlesteer14
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M240 ix, 14 Cayman S

Congrats. No real "mods" to keep it healthy other than staying on top of your oil changes and other pm stuff. I think WAY too much emphasis is given to expensive oils, fancy spark plugs, etc. If you're on top of the maintenance schedule and you don't abuse the car, it should do just fine.

When/If you decide to start modding the car for power, there are different considerations regarding the points above.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 01:10 PM   #3
Twilly
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlesteer14 View Post
Congrats. No real "mods" to keep it healthy other than staying on top of your oil changes and other pm stuff. I think WAY too much emphasis is given to expensive oils, fancy spark plugs, etc. If you're on top of the maintenance schedule and you don't abuse the car, it should do just fine.

When/If you decide to start modding the car for power, there are different considerations regarding the points above.
Okay awesome great news! So lets say I did want to mod the car for power, what parts would I, or should, have to replace with aftermarket parts?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 01:24 PM   #4
Throttlesteer14
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M240 ix, 14 Cayman S

Besides the tune, you'll be looking at breathing mods for the most part (intake, downpipe, exhaust). A lot will depend on how much power you want and how reliable you want the car to be. There are different paths depending on the answer to that question.
Appreciate 1
Twilly0.00
      06-22-2020, 02:15 PM   #5
Twilly
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlesteer14 View Post
Besides the tune, you'll be looking at breathing mods for the most part (intake, downpipe, exhaust). A lot will depend on how much power you want and how reliable you want the car to be. There are different paths depending on the answer to that question.
Awesome thank you
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 02:33 PM   #6
cooolone2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 20' M240iX B58, 01' 330XI E46

Simple equation that applies to all car "modding"...

CHEAP/FAST/RELIABLE

Cover the one you want, and it'll reveal the two which apply!

Cheap - isn't fast or reliable
Fast - isn't cheap or reliable
Reliable - isn't cheap or fast

You won't ever have a cheap, fast and reliable modded car! You "might" get close to Fast & Reliable if you have deep pockets. But "might" is the main part, because to go fast, you are pushing tolerance limits of design, even if modded with super stuff! Lolz... So accordingly, reliable when "fast" usually isn't in the equation, be prepared to spend and repair often. If you truly want reliable, you'll spend good $, and not drive fast! Lol

Best Regards!
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 01:18 PM   #7
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

oil and filter changes are critical. The dealer puts 0W20 in the B58. It's too thin imho. I run 5W30 LiquiMoly 4200. Also, make sure whatever oil goes in the engine has the American Petroleum Institute (API) rating of SN. The "N" mans the oil is designed to run in an engine with a turbo. I change mine every 5000 miles.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 03:01 AM   #8
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep
Drives: M240xi 'Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoZandrini View Post
oil and filter changes are critical. The dealer puts 0W20 in the B58. It's too thin imho. I run 5W30 LiquiMoly 4200. Also, make sure whatever oil goes in the engine has the American Petroleum Institute (API) rating of SN. The "N" mans the oil is designed to run in an engine with a turbo. I change mine every 5000 miles.
I am hesitant to recommend oils which are not recommended by the manufacturer. These engines are highly optimized and the tolerances built in cater to the recommended oil.

OP, If you want to learn more about how divided the opinion is about which oil to use, go and check out bob is the oil guy forum.

Even check my thread history; I asked the very same questions here as well about which oil to use.

However one sound bit of advice the above poster gives is this: change your oil every 5k miles if not less.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 05:47 AM   #9
alyabiev
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 Competition Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimBimM2 View Post
Quote:
I am hesitant to recommend oils which are not recommended by the manufacturer. These engines are highly optimized and the tolerances built in cater to the recommended oil.

OP, If you want to learn more about how divided the opinion is about which oil to use, go and check out bob is the oil guy forum.

Even check my thread history; I asked the very same questions here as well about which oil to use.

However one sound bit of advice the above poster gives is this: change your oil every 5k miles if not less.
It actually comes to the very basic thing - change your oil every 200-250 operating hours. To caculate the mileage at which you change the oil just multiply operating hours by your average speed and you would get 4000-5000 miles interval as an average city and traffic jam driver. Highway drivers would get more prolonged intervals because of the higher average speed.
      06-25-2020, 09:23 AM   #10
BrettKA7
Captain
Rep
Drives: F22 M240i

Quote:
Quote:

5k changes do more good than harm, of course, but how do you feel about the blackstone lab reports that consistently seem to suggest 10k is fine?
      06-25-2020, 09:28 AM   #11
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettKA7 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

5k changes do more good than harm, of course, but how do you feel about the blackstone lab reports that consistently seem to suggest 10k is fine?
Oh I read that too! I personally think 10k is fine as well... but, the 5k changes buy a certain mental satisfaction I mean, many forum members even changed oil after the 1200 break in period. In our motors it isn't recommended and yet many of us did that. Changing oil sooner than the factory recommended interval is nothing but an exercise in keeping paranoia at bay haha

But hey, why not. It is a short trip to the dealership.

Edit: kinda like why the poster above thinks "0w20" is too thin. I mean, he may be right, but come on... BMW isn't in the business to be known for imploding engines at 60-70k. Many B58s on the streets are now crossing high mileage marks and no such problems have surfaced. Safe to say, stick to the factory recommended oil, and if you really want to "feel safe" change every 5k.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 09:39 AM   #12
MassNerd
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i Coupe RWD

Garage List
Quote:
Edit: kinda like why the poster above thinks "0w20" is too thin. I mean, he may be right, but come on... BMW isn't in the business to be known for imploding engines at 60-70k. Many B58s on the streets are now crossing high mileage marks and no such problems have surfaced. Safe to say, stick to the factory recommended oil, and if you really want to "feel safe" change every 5k.
But BMW is in the business of selling cars which requires they meet fuel efficiency requirements. MPG is a marketing selling point too. These are valid reasons why they might recommend an oil that is as thin as possible. I'm not saying one way or another is right, but I think that is a valid point the "too thin" people make. As BimBim said earlier, go read the multiple threads on this.
Appreciate 1
dradernh4377.50
      06-25-2020, 09:42 AM   #13
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNerd View Post
Quote:
But BMW is in the business of selling cars which requires they meet fuel efficiency requirements. MPG is a marketing selling point too. These are valid reasons why they might recommend an oil that is as thin as possible. I'm not saying one way or another is right, but I think that is a valid point the "too thin" people make. As BimBim said earlier, go read the multiple threads on this.
Oh yeah the CAFE standards thing of course there is some validity to that and, yeah, maybe BMW may be playing a risky game. I agree that has always been a valid point.

Why I am so relaxed about the 0w20 is because I live in MN gets pretty cold up here and the thinner oil helps. But yeah you do make a good point!
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 12:08 PM   #14
Jcoop901
Southern Fried
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [9.00]
Toyota definitely is NOT in the business of blowing up motors or risking them for a CAFE rating. What do they recommend for their B58 Supra?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 12:18 PM   #15
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcoop901 View Post
Toyota definitely is NOT in the business of blowing up motors or risking them for a CAFE rating. What do they recommend for their B58 Supra?
Toyota has a special 0w20 oil for it:
Toyota GTMO SN 0W-20 C5 oil, part number is 08880-WA011

Perhaps it is just re-branded 0w20 BMW LL14-FE+ or LL17-FE+ oil?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 01:37 AM   #16
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcoop901 View Post
Toyota has a special 0w20 oil for it:
Toyota GTMO SN 0W-20 C5 oil, part number is 08880-WA011

Perhaps it is just re-branded 0w20 BMW LL14-FE+ or LL17-FE+ oil?
I will bet you anything that it is nothing but a rebrand. The engine doesn't even run a Toyota tune hah. In fact when they pulled the DME/ECU housing from the 2020 supras it read "M240i" on it. [i read that on a certain unmentionable forum]
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 02:53 PM   #17
R3DR0CK3T
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M240i

I would get an after market charge-pipe as the stock one is plastic. This will hold up better as you increase boost when you decide to get a tune. vrsf makes pretty nice one in my opinion. besides that just stay on top of maintenance
      06-27-2020, 12:50 PM   #18
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Quote:
I was doing Blackstone analysis after every oil change. They were coming back fine after the initial (1200 miles oil change) analysis. My justification for 5000 miles oil changes is our cars have a turbo which is lubed and cooled by the engine oil. Turbos are hard on oil. Our engines rev at ~1200rpm for several seconds after each start to ensure that the turbo is getting enough oil at the required pressure.

When I was tracking him, I change the oil and filter after every 2 weekends.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2020, 02:34 PM   #19
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
how do you feel about the blackstone lab reports that consistently seem to suggest 10k is fine?
This reminds me of reading somewhere (GRM?) what the owner of Blackstone said when asked which oil he uses. The gist of the answer was "whatever's on sale".
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2020, 08:28 PM   #20
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
Quote:
how do you feel about the blackstone lab reports that consistently seem to suggest 10k is fine?
This reminds me of reading somewhere (GRM?) what the owner of Blackstone said when asked which oil he uses. The gist of the answer was "whatever's on sale".
This was on bob the oil guy forums as well in a discussion regarding the BMW 0w20 no less! If I was not so lazy I'd dig out the thread for you all.

Honestly the more I read it, the more it seems like every opinion converges to that: whatever's on sale haha

Honestly my advice to people is to enjoy the car more than worrying about "doing everything right".
Appreciate 1
      06-29-2020, 06:02 PM   #21
vandridine
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3DR0CK3T View Post
I would get an after market charge-pipe as the stock one is plastic. This will hold up better as you increase boost when you decide to get a tune. vrsf makes pretty nice one in my opinion. besides that just stay on top of maintenance
The n55 had the problem with the charge pipe breaking when you turned up the boost. For the b58, BMW fixed the problem by adding a flexible section to the charge pipe so it won't crack.
Appreciate 0