THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes drop-link/end-link/anti-roll bar link recommendations for BMW F22 M235i?

12-22-2016, 03:57 AM   #1
KAY-OS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW m235i F22

drop-link/end-link/anti-roll bar link recommendations for BMW F22 M235i?

Hello everyone. I plan to install H&R front and rear anti-roll bars for my 2014 m235i (with KW V2 coil overs). For those who has upgraded their anti-roll/sway bars, did you guys change your end-link as well? What brands are you using and how's it holding up? Are your end-link adjustable?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but changing the end-link (shorter and stronger) is a good idea for lowered suspensions and upgraded stiffer anti-roll bars to prevent pre-mature failure of the end-links?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2016, 12:58 PM   #2
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

If you lower your car, you will want longer adjustable links to get the anti roll bar back to a more ideal geometry.

Have a look at these:

http://www.hpashop.com/HP-Autosport-...-HPAEL-F3x.htm
Appreciate 1
      04-15-2020, 05:23 PM   #3
_M228i
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 228i | M Sport

If you have fully adjustable coilovers you're supposed to get shorter end links right? And if you use springs with stock suspension you get longer end links?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2020, 05:25 PM   #4
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by _M228i View Post
If you have fully adjustable coilovers you're supposed to get shorter end links right? And if you use springs with stock suspension you get longer end links?
It has more to do with how much you raise or lower your ride height from stock. You can see why in my video below at 3:50.

For the fronts we need longer end links, and in the rear you'll go shorter due to the end link being mounted above or below the sway bar mounting point (above in front and below in rear).

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 1
AmuroRay2267.50
      04-19-2020, 01:04 AM   #5
_M228i
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
It has more to do with how much you raise or lower your ride height from stock. You can see why in my video below at 3:50.

For the fronts we need longer end links, and in the rear you'll go shorter due to the end link being mounted above or below the sway bar mounting point (above in front and below in rear).
I have ksport fully adjustable coilovers, so the distance is now shorter. I believe if I used springs then I would need longer front end links right? My front end links are currently toast lol even the dealer wanted to change them but OEM wont work. I've been looking online for the right custom length and I've been looking at a pair on ECS tuning by Turner Motorsports. Just don't know which mm I should go with.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2020, 01:12 AM   #6
_M228i
United_States
Rep

Great video btw!! FaRKle! been looking for one talking about the end links on the F chassis
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2020, 01:17 AM   #7
_M228i
United_States
Rep

Heres a few pics
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 12:01 AM   #8
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I have ksport fully adjustable coilovers, so the distance is now shorter. I believe if I used springs then I would need longer front end links right? My front end links are currently toast lol even the dealer wanted to change them but OEM wont work. I've been looking online for the right custom length and I've been looking at a pair on ECS tuning by Turner Motorsports. Just don't know which mm I should go with.
The end link trends are the same even with those coilovers. You should need longer in the front and shorter in the rear.

Also, looking at your rear pic, are you sure the springs and adjusters are installed correctly? Most coilovers replace the upper spring cup and have the adjuster up there. I've seen lots of installations where the shop mis-installed the rear springs and this orientation.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 09:59 PM   #9
_M228i
United_States
Rep

Yeah bro this is not my first time installing springs on a car, there's only one way those coils go on. not really rocket science plus they're not OEM. These coils were built to order. I'm just showing you what my suspension looks like, the car rides fine I have no problems with my suspension besides the front endlinks which are not even connected right now. All I need are front end links not rear yet, the distance is shorter for sure. Your suspension is OEM right?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 11:42 AM   #10
_M228i
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The end link trends are the same even with those coilovers. You should need longer in the front and shorter in the rear.

Also, looking at your rear pic, are you sure the springs and adjusters are installed correctly? Most coilovers replace the upper spring cup and have the adjuster up there. I've seen lots of installations where the shop mis-installed the rear springs and this orientation.
You may be right about the front end links. The rear adjusters bolt into the shock mount, there's a big screw in the middle of that cylinder on the bottom that's not visible. If you look at the pics I provided the coilover mounting point is in a different position than the OEM. Also the front end link mounting points on the coilovers are in different positions.

I've been looking at these end links tho:
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-turner-m...5990tms04~tms/

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-turner-m...104~dk/?pdk=Ag

Last edited by _M228i; 04-21-2020 at 07:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 07:13 PM   #11
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yeah bro this is not my first time installing springs on a car, there's only one way those coils go on. not really rocket science plus they're not OEM. These coils were built to order. I'm just showing you what my suspension looks like, the car rides fine I have no problems with my suspension besides the front endlinks which are not even connected right now. All I need are front end links not rear yet, the distance is shorter for sure. Your suspension is OEM right?
Quote:
You may be right about the front end links. The distance between the end link mounting point will be consistent on the suspension but once the chassis is lowered the distance between the mounting points will change. The rear adjusters bolt into the shock mount, there's a big screw in the middle of that cylinder on the bottom that's not visible. If you look at the pics I provided the coilover mounting point is in a different position than the OEM. Also the front end link mounting points on the coilovers are in different positions.

I've been looking at these end links tho:
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-turner-m...5990tms04~tms/

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-turner-m...104~dk/?pdk=Ag
Thanks for confirming the rear spring orientation. I just wanted to make sure if someone else installed your coilovers, that they were done right so you don't have issues later. Do you find adjustment difficult due to limited working space for the coilover wrench with the adjuster at the bottom?

It's strange that K-sport would put the end link mounts in different locations than OE, and not put a disclaimer about needing adjustable end links. Looking at your pics closer, the front mounting point is clearly much closer to the knuckle than OE.

I'm running a fully custom suspension with individual springs meeting the specs I wanted for each axle, and Bilstein B6 based dampers that were heavily modified by Fat Cat Motorsports to achieve the damping ratios I wanted.

Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 07:51 PM   #12
_M228i
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for confirming the rear spring orientation. I just wanted to make sure if someone else installed your coilovers, that they were done right so you don't have issues later. Do you find adjustment difficult due to limited working space for the coilover wrench with the adjuster at the bottom?

It's strange that K-sport would put the end link mounts in different locations than OE, and not put a disclaimer about needing adjustable end links. Looking at your pics closer, the front mounting point is clearly much closer to the knuckle than OE.

I'm running a fully custom suspension with individual springs meeting the specs I wanted for each axle, and Bilstein B6 based dampers that were heavily modified by Fat Cat Motorsports to achieve the damping ratios I wanted.
Okay, got it. Yeah sometimes people install coilovers wrong lol. I adjusted the rear to the max drop before installing them and haven't adjusted them since and did the same to the front. Then got an alignment, if I did raise the rear I would just remove the wheel, that would be easiest, I think.

K-Sport actually does provide an option for end links, I just didn't think I'd need them. My last car was a dropped s2k but I never changed the end links. I guess BMW is different

I know Bilstein is a really good brand, bet it rides smooth. Stock ride height? I've adjusted the dampening on mine a few times and it does make a difference
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 02:12 PM   #13
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I know Bilstein is a really good brand, bet it rides smooth. Stock ride height? I've adjusted the dampening on mine a few times and it does make a difference
Bilstein has quality components/construction, but crappy tuning IMO. They use the same damping for ALL F2x and F3x, no matter if RWD or AWD. This is why I had them retuned by FCM so that they're matched to my chassis/weight and spring rates.

My ride height is about .5" lower in front and .3" lower in the rear.

Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 01:05 PM   #14
cbbplanet
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: space shuttle

So if I'm understanding correctly.. I'm on KW V3 and dropped to the lowest setting. On my front, I would need longer end link? But the adjustable end link should be able to work?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 11:24 PM   #15
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbbplanet View Post
So if I'm understanding correctly.. I'm on KW V3 and dropped to the lowest setting. On my front, I would need longer end link? But the adjustable end link should be able to work?
Yes, you'd need a longer end link, because with the OE bar and bushings the arms are being pulled upwards from their natural position so they're under tension at static/normal ride height. To do that you'll need an adjustable end link unless you measure how much you need and can get a fixed one in the exact length you need made.

Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 07:14 PM   #16
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
If you have the standard coilovers, you will need longer links. If you are using Ohlins R&T with the height adjustment collar, you will need shorter links.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 07:16 PM   #17
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbbplanet View Post
Yes, on the KW's you will need longer links.

We also have custom length links available.

https://www.hpashop.com/HP-Autosport...ks-10m-105.htm
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2020, 05:17 PM   #18
TwistedX
Really Twisted
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i F23 8AT

I have air suspension and when my suspension is compressed like going into a steep driveway at an angle I can hear the sway hitting the control arm. What end link do I need

Last edited by TwistedX; 08-07-2020 at 05:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 09:54 AM   #19
SmellyGreek
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue F22 M235i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post
If you have the standard coilovers, you will need longer links. If you are using Ohlins R&T with the height adjustment collar, you will need shorter links.

This is because the height adjustment collar sits below the end link mounting point, rather than above (for most coilovers)? Would the height difference still be the approximate drop height (just shorter)?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 10:30 AM   #20
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellyGreek View Post
This is because the height adjustment collar sits below the end link mounting point, rather than above (for most coilovers)? Would the height difference still be the approximate drop height (just shorter)?
Yes, the coilover with the height adjuster on the bottom of the strut you will likely need shorter links.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2022, 01:06 PM   #21
joeduquette
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post
Yes, the coilover with the height adjuster on the bottom of the strut you will likely need shorter links.
Sorry know this is an old post, but put kw v3s on my m235 non x drive. Will the f2x end links you linked work for the front?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2022, 03:16 PM   #22
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeduquette View Post
Sorry know this is an old post, but put kw v3s on my m235 non x drive. Will the f2x end links you linked work for the front?
Yes, for the x-drive we provide you with the longer version of the links(same as the M cars).

PM if you have another questions.
Appreciate 0