THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Building an "FBO" N55

06-30-2020, 09:48 PM   #1
DTR235
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i Xdrive

Building an "FBO" N55

Hey, all.

Searched and read. Found some useful information, but much of the threads seems to be a couple years old and I know things can change so I thought I would give it a shot.

M235i Xdrive
Current mods = Carbon fiber package, MPE, JB+

Warranty ends in 7 months and instead of buying a very expensive car, I want to give my car a chance with the right mods.

Not looking for anything crazy. It appears charge pipe, intercooler, downpipe, and a better tune through JB4 or Bootmod3 is the way to go.
Just the JB+ gave some extra torque I enjoyed, but the overall powerband and especially topend is seriously lacking.

Based on reputation I was going to:
VRSF downpipe
VRSF Intercooler
VRSF Charge Pipe

Then add either JB4 or BootMod3. I know BootMod3 has better results as you'd expect from a full ECU flash, but the JB4 is still impressive for a piggyback. For the time being, I'm not looking to extract every ounce out of my car. I'm look for 11's in a good looking and well handling car.

Also planning to add VMR 710's. I love the look, but also feel like I need to drop the car a bit. I have the adjustable ride, and I have heard conflicting information about quality springs like H&R getting the job done, but also other people saying it ruined the adjustable ride. I ride sport+ 99% of the time. Only time I ride comfort is when I have pets in the car.

Long story short. I come from a line of sports cars that I've tracked and I plan to pick up a 911/RS3/M3/STi but in the meantime want to make my M235 awesome but streetable enough to drive a major city.

Thank you!
Appreciate 1
soooma1376.50
      06-30-2020, 10:26 PM   #2
Dynamic_m235
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 m235i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTR235 View Post
Hey, all.

Searched and read. Found some useful information, but much of the threads seems to be a couple years old and I know things can change so I thought I would give it a shot.

M235i Xdrive

Warranty ends in 7 months and instead of buying a very expensive car, I want to give my car a chance with the right mods.

Not looking for anything crazy. It appears charge pipe, intercooler, downpipe, and a better tune through JB4 or Bootmod3 is the way to go.
Just the JB+ gave some extra torque I enjoyed, but the overall powerband and especially topend is seriously lacking.

VRSF downpipe
VRSF Intercooler
VRSF Charge Pipe

Then add either JB4 or BootMod3. I know BootMod3 has better results as you'd expect from a full ECU flash, but the JB4 is still impressive for a piggyback. For the time being, I'm not looking to extract every ounce out of my car. I'm look for 11's in a good looking and well handling car.

Also planning to add VMR 710's. I love the look, but also feel like I need to drop the car a bit. I have the adjustable ride, and I have heard conflicting information about quality springs like H&R getting the job done, but also other people saying it ruined the adjustable ride. I ride sport+ 99% of the time. Only time I ride comfort is when I have pets in the car.

Long story short. I come from a line of sports cars that I've tracked and I plan to pick up a 911/RS3/M3/STi but in the meantime want to make my M235 awesome but streetable enough to drive a major city.

Thank you!
Csf has the best fmic for the f series n55, Wagner evo II next up. Definitely go bm3. GFB DV+ is a cheap and great part to upgrade as well. Get ngk one step colder laser iridium spark plugs and gap them at .20 or .22.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 11:24 PM   #3
DTR235
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamic_m235 View Post
Csf has the best fmic for the f series n55, Wagner evo II next up. Definitely go bm3. GFB DV+ is a cheap and great part to upgrade as well. Get ngk one step colder laser iridium spark plugs and gap them at .20 or .22.
Thank you!

If it matters, I still have 8 months on warranty, so was hesitant on BM3 over JB4, but with such little left on my warranty I don't want to waste time with JB4 if BM3 is the way to go.

I've read about colder iridium plugs. Didn't think that was necessary unless tracking the car, but again... not looking to do things crazy, but just looking to do things right. For now, I just want a proven and reliable stage 2 FBO setup (with springs, wheels, and sways, if anyone has any input) that will hold me over for a year or two. At that point I'll pick up something more powerful and hopefully make this M235i a track car or swap it for something with a manual trans.

For what it's worth, I'm not a newb to modding... Have had boosted Nissan's, had a upgraded turbo WRX, etc... just been rocking the M235 as a daily under warranty and looking to have some fun now.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2020, 09:53 AM   #4
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Check out our website, we offer a lot of mods for your car and combo deals to take your car from stock to stage 1 or 2

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2020, 12:42 PM   #5
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Hey, all.

M235i Xdrive

VRSF downpipe
VRSF Intercooler
VRSF Charge Pipe

Thank you!
Bootmod3 and the VRSF goodies are the most popular, highly recommend
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 01:33 AM   #6
M2THIRTY5
BM3 Stage 2 | VRSF CP | VRSF 5" IC | VRSF DP
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Quote:
Hey, all.

M235i Xdrive

VRSF downpipe
VRSF Intercooler
VRSF Charge Pipe

Thank you!
Just recently finished the install of my FMIC, CP, and Catless DP all VRSF. All the parts went in like a breeze and I topped it off with BM3 stage 2 flash. Couldn't be happier with the results. I daily the car for work as well as I also track the car every couple weeks on the strip and safe to say I'm out there competing with some top of the line sports cars with our "mini" M car. Definitely worth it! Also hit up Mike from xph. You can get some great deals if you're planning to go FBO .

Also just a heads up if you're planning to go stage 2 I'd recommend upgrading to NGK 97506 plugs gapped at 0.022, if you're planning to stay stage 1 you should be fine with stock plugs.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 10:31 AM   #7
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2THIRTY5 View Post
Just recently finished the install of my FMIC, CP, and Catless DP all VRSF. All the parts went in like a breeze and I topped it off with BM3 stage 2 flash. Couldn't be happier with the results. I daily the car for work as well as I also track the car every couple weeks on the strip and safe to say I'm out there competing with some top of the line sports cars with our "mini" M car. Definitely worth it! Also hit up Mike from xph. You can get some great deals if you're planning to go FBO .

Also just a heads up if you're planning to go stage 2 I'd recommend upgrading to NGK 97506 plugs gapped at 0.022, if you're planning to stay stage 1 you should be fine with stock plugs.

Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 07:41 PM   #8
DTR235
Private
Rep

Quote:

Great info.

Thank you!

Hit up Mike, but still debating between JB4 and BM3.

I know BM3 is ultimately the better option, but from what digging around I have done, it seems like JB4 is more tried and true from a reliability/practicality standpoint.

Figure I can't go wrong with either, but need to make a decision asap.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 09:57 PM   #9
M2THIRTY5
BM3 Stage 2 | VRSF CP | VRSF 5" IC | VRSF DP
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Quote:
Quote:

Great info.

Thank you!

I know BM3 is ultimately the better option, but from what digging around I have done, it seems like JB4 is more tried and true from a reliability/practicality standpoint.

Yeah neither is a bad option. End of the day I'd justify the choice based on whether or not you plan to keep the car tuned long term. If long term then BM3 for sure, but if you want quick power for a little while JB4 will scratch that itch. All in all the power you can gain off a custom BM3 tune is miles ahead of what you can do with a JB4 but nonetheless you can't go wrong with a JB4. Both tunes are able to be resold for roughly half original cost so you're not really losing out on too much either way.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 09:34 AM   #10
The_otherM235i
Driver - Autocross
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

I've gone with MHD for my Stage 2+ tune, been flawless so far and will probably move to a custom tune later this year. I went with the wagner EVO 2 intercooler and it's been fantastic aside from high day temps and it being summer lol.
16 M235xi 8ZF Black on Red FBO: Xhp trans tune -BMS Intake - VRSF Catless DownPipe - VRSF CP - VRSF Muffler delete/resonator - n22 plugs - MHD stage 2+ 95map - Wagner EVO II Preformace IC - Rear seat delete - weight reduction/stripping -FTP 18.5in rims - Hawk HPS front pads - StopTech STR 660 fluid
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2020, 10:57 AM   #11
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Go with the VRSF Comp or Race. They will cool as good or better than anything out there. The standard cooler really is too small for Stage 2 tunes.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2020, 10:59 AM   #12
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Great info.

Thank you!

MHD. Off the shelf maps don’t make as much power, but they are rock solid reliable, and it’s cheaper.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2020, 12:36 PM   #13
swc5150
Private
Rep
Drives: Panamera Turbo

If it helps, or is not too late for your decision, I went with BM3 from Mike at Extreme for my m235. I'm running an OTS stage 1 93, while waiting for my new charge pipe and CAI, and the difference is huge. I highly recommend it.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 09:53 AM   #14
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

BM3 is a game changer!
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 10:01 AM   #15
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swc5150 View Post
If it helps, or is not too late for your decision, I went with BM3 from Mike at Extreme for my m235. I'm running an OTS stage 1 93, while waiting for my new charge pipe and CAI, and the difference is huge. I highly recommend it.
Congrats

Appreciate 0