THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum 2 Series Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery When does the model refresh/move to Mexico happen?

01-22-2020, 10:41 AM   #1
surge98
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW m240i

When does the model refresh/move to Mexico happen?

My 2010 128i is probably not going to last another two years like I'd hoped, so I'm seriously considering a new 2 series at some point later this year. I'd rather not buy the first year of a model refresh, or the first year of a model being made in a new facility. Although it hasn't been confirmed yet, all signs point to production being shifted from Germany to Mexico for the 2 series. I'm not opposed to eventually buying a BMW produced in Mexico, but I'd prefer to order one of the last German-made cars for this purchase.

Does anyone have any information (or even educated speculation) as to when the production cutoff will be? Two dealerships I contacted told me that BMW generally keeps them in the dark on such matters. It used to be that the model year change-over happened during the summer, although I thought I read somewhere on this forum that it happened in February of last year? Could I put off this purchase until May/June, or should I seriously consider moving it up to the end of the first quarter? Reading about allocation problems towards the end of a model year makes me a little nervous.

Finally, it's been ten years since I looked at BMW sales incentives. Is there a general consensus as to which months have the best incentives, or is it somewhat random as to what they offer? It looks like I could get $3750 off at the moment, although that ends in less than two weeks and I may not be ready to buy quite that soon. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 12:05 PM   #2
abraxas613
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 230i

Garage List
RE: When does the model refresh/move to Mexico happen?

That's a great question. I was pondering something very similar myself back in December. In a nutshell, I had a bad feeling that the 2020 230i would be the last of that model (F22/F23) to offer a manual transmission. As a result, I ended up pre-ordering one earlier this month (delivery March 15th...ish).

What I can say for the 2020 model is that they're indeed still manufactured in Germany and pre-orders may still be availble til the end of this month if you're looking for something in particular. Also, they should still be available to purchase until august.

I definitely believe that manufacturing of the refresh will move to mexico going forward.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 03:19 PM   #3
Phillymb75
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 21 X7 M50 - 20 M240i vert 6mt

2020's are produced through June https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1655256

I ordered last month to get the year end incentives, which stayed the same for January, I still don't have an allocation or set schedule. I'm hoping to take delivery in April at the performance center. I figured it's my last chance to get a manual M240 with the options I wanted. I know some have said that the current body style is continuing until 2021, but I didn't want to chance it.
Appreciate 0